Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Security Cameras Advice

Options
  • 17-03-2014 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hi all, so I am thinking about getting some external security cameras put up around the house... There has been a few break-ins in the area and well you can never be too careful.

Our alarm guy is coming to fix a broken sensor next week, obviously I would get him to do the install and will have a good chat with him about everything but well I like to be well informed and know a bit of what I am talking about before going ahead with anything. That's where I hope you all come in....

I'm familiar with tech but security cameras are a total unknown to me. Could anyone please advise me on the below:

1) Am I right in saying most home use cameras these days are IP based? If so I would love to get PoE ones (the house has several PoE devices around it). Are these much more expensive or are they worth it?

2) Is there any brands / makes I should go for or stay away from?

3) The house is 2 stories with a converted attic. If the cameras are mounted on the eaves / fascia board what kind of resolution and other specs should I be looking at? Are you talking huge bucks to get the quality required to make out anything in the garden?

4) Since outdoors would they require flood lights on sensors or do most cameras come it IR or NV and if so are they actually any good?

5) Is there any legal issues with home security cameras. Obviously they will be primarily pointing onto our own property. If they capture any of our neighbours gardens or the public streets is there any issues? Do we need to get any special permission before installing?

Thanks for the help!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭notmymark

Really, no one can answer any of my questions!!!
    Would appreciate the input guys and gals :)

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

notmymark wrote: »
    1) Am I right in saying most home use cameras these days are IP based? If so I would love to get PoE ones (the house has several PoE devices around it). Are these much more expensive or are they worth it?

Not necessarily, a lot are still analogue. IP are way more expensive than analogue but the picture quality is better so it depends on what you're looking for. There isn't much of a price difference between POE or non-POE. The main price different in IP cameras comes with the resolutions offered.
    2) Is there any brands / makes I should go for or stay away from?

Foscam are cheap and cheerful but their wireless options sometimes have compatibility issues with wireless networks. Last time I was in the states, I brought home a few of these;
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ESK3LKY/ref=pe_385040_30332190_TE_M3T1_ST1_dp_1
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C9X252C/ref=pe_385040_30332190_TE_M3T1_ST1_dp_2

and their quality is great.
    3) The house is 2 stories with a converted attic. If the cameras are mounted on the eaves / fascia board what kind of resolution and other specs should I be looking at? Are you talking huge bucks to get the quality required to make out anything in the garden?

Personally I wouldn't go below 720p. My take is if you can't read a license plate on a car in your drive, there's no point in having cameras.
    4) Since outdoors would they require flood lights on sensors or do most cameras come it IR or NV and if so are they actually any good?

The IR is pretty good on the cams I bought but I haven't tested it to a great distance.
    5) Is there any legal issues with home security cameras. Obviously they will be primarily pointing onto our own property. If they capture any of our neighbours gardens or the public streets is there any issues? Do we need to get any special permission before installing?

No idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭notmymark

Nice one thesteve, appreciate it :D

Advertisement