Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

single vs double fluorescent

Options
  • 17-03-2014 8:06pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭

I have a shed here where two of the single florescent units are broken. its the units now not the bulbs. will get the electrician to install new ones.

question- will the same wire do for double fluorescent units? the light in general is quiet poor in the shed. (its for cattle).

anybody know roughly what prices double florescent units cost vs single units and what price are the bulbs each?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

same wire should be ok

fitting around 40-50 for a good one

(t5 tubes with hf ballast)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

Vapour proof fittings if possible, with cattles breath and cold nights, it will cause moisture in the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

hallo dare wrote: »
    Vapour proof fittings if possible, with cattles breath and cold nights, it will cause moisture in the air.

they're corrosion proof for slatted sheds

the ordinary isn't allowed anyhow

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Hugh 2

they're corrosion proof for slatted sheds

the ordinary isn't allowed anyhow

That explains a lot
    Vapour proof and corrosion proof
    My ones are rotting away

(t5 tubes with hf ballast)

Is ballast different to starters?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Hugh 2 wrote:
    That explains a lot Vapour proof and corrosion proof My ones are rotting away (t5 tubes with hf ballast) Is ballast different to starters? Thanks

I know that with horses the vapour from their urine can impact on some standard vapour proof fittings, I don't think it's an issue with cattle.

It was a concern on a stud farm I was involved with many years ago, but never for cattle.

A T5 lamp is a high frequency lamp. It requires a high frequency ballast and won't need starters, cheaper to switch too.

If the electrician is working on the fittings just changing them over to high frequency or LED is a good way to go imo.

Have a look at the lights Tesco use in their car parks to see if you like LED vapour proof fittings.

• Advertisement
Advertisement