Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social Welfare and Data Protection

Options
  • 17-03-2014 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi all, I recently over herd a conversation when I went to collect a parcel at a courier company I deal with, basically this company is about to give records of all the recipients of freight from my particular driver including name, address phone number(s) and even time of delivery and signature of recipient etc to Social Welfare.

I have nothing to hide it's only regular online shopping but I don't want anybody knowing what I have ordered or how often I receive freight especially Social Welfare as I am on Jobsekers Benefit.

Can I prevent this company from giving out this information?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I am think this is nonsense and either a wind-up or a misheard conversation!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

The social welfare would not be looking for such information as they would not be able to use it in any way. Is it possible that the revenue or customs were looking for the information in relation to importation of medicines or other illegal items?

foggy_lad wrote: »
    The social welfare would not be looking for such information as they would not be able to use it in any way. Is it possible that the revenue or customs were looking for the information in relation to importation of medicines or other illegal items?

Or perhaps if you are not home to take delivery then you are at work while still claiming dole. :eek:

It's a nonsense! The postman would have to report all deliveries too. My God, there's no end to the possibilities!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 HughRyan77

Sorry I should have made it clearer but I was under the impression Social Welfare are investigating the driver and are requesting this info as evidence against him, when they have this information they might be tempted to look at some of the recipient's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

HughRyan77 wrote: »
    Sorry I should have made it clearer but I was under the impression Social Welfare are investigating the driver and are requesting this info as evidence against him, when they have this information they might be tempted to look at some of the recipient's.
    If investigating the driver then they are looking for physical addresses to photograph the driver while at work, how would they use such information to investigate people recieving parcels from one particular courier company??

foggy_lad wrote: »
    If investigating the driver then they are looking for physical addresses to photograph the driver while at work, how would they use such information to investigate people recieving parcels from one particular courier company??

Area or street name would be ok but they request exact details of when driver took parcel from depot , what time he delivered, I don't want anybody knowing I received even 1 parcel, but that's not really the point, I honestly wouldn't trust SW or any government agency.

I just think SW could look at some people and say 'oh Mr X spends a lot on ebay or Mr Y must be living with somebody because he signed for a parcel, or Mrs Z has freight addressed to here when she's supposed to be living somewhere else'.

I know people who had their payments stopped just because they dropped their child back to theirtheir expartner and BAM!! SW happen to call and insist they are all living together. These people at SW are out to save money any way they can.

I just don't think they should be given such detailed information as it seems your guilty until you can prove you're innocent, what next, what are people's rights in such a case?

It is one thing to investigate the driver but the info would be no use against any of the delivery recipients.

SW have been known to put 2+2 together and come up with 100.

It's the Data Protection bit I'm more concerned about tbh.

There's no data protection issue involved. As for the dept knowing who receives a parcel; more than a little paranoid to be honest.
    I always had the opinion that they can have any information on me they like because I do nothing wrong. So what if they did catch somebody fleecing the system - all the better. But that ain't going to happen!

• Advertisement

And that's perfectly fine. I just have never had an issue about privacy when it cones to the authorities. :)
    I'm ulta careful with companies or websites but that's just to avoid marketing. I also value my anonymity on forums and the likes.
    I'm a relatively open book I suppose.:)

There's no data protection issue involved. As for the dept knowing who receives a parcel; more than a little paranoid to be honest.
    I always had the opinion that they can have any information on me they like because I do nothing wrong. So what if they did catch somebody fleecing the system - all the better. But that ain't going to happen!

As I was saying these people in SW don't actually need proof to suspend someone's much needed payment just reasonable doubt then it's up to the person to prove they are innocence, my sisters ex partner had his weekly payment plus rent allowance stopped for over 2 months because he stepped inside while dropping their kids back to my sister's house, which he is perfectly entitled to do. It was far from easy but eventually he did get all his payments back plus back payments because he did nothing wrong, but that was no good to him at the time!
    All I would like to know is are SW entitled to a list of random people's person information (what they are buying, what time they were home,what time they were not home, who uses what addresses, contact phone numbers). 90% of people on this list probably don't receive SW payments but that's not the point, privacy is the main point and what are the legalities, I have a feeling this would not be allowed under data protection, if so they simply should not do this, rules are rules.

Why not just contact the Dept for Social Protection and ask, of its annoying you so much? They are best placed to answer on this.

Why not just contact the Dept for Social Protection and ask, of its annoying you so much? They are best placed to answer on this.

Sarmeen why do you think it's annoying me, I'm just looking for information here black or white yes or no, is this ok legally?

Anyway I made contact with SW (after being on hold for an eternity using up my phone credit) but surprise surprise they wouldn't answer the question, they said I would have to write to them then I would get SOME reply but would take approximately 10 to 15 working days before anyone even looked at the request. So I couldn't be bothered tbh.
    I also rang the Data Protection Commissioners but the phone lines were busy so I suppose I'll try them again tomorrow.

I'd just write to the Department and await a reply. Anything else is just guess work based on an overheard conversation. The letter will take less time and cost than phoning around.

My black and white answer is that there are no data protection issues in what you said they were collecting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

Would the courier company not be breaching the Data Protection Act? Do they not have to disclose to you how they store and disseminate information relating to you?

You would be best to FOI the DSP.

I would but I'd prefer if I could stop this information being given out in the first place rather than finding out that they shouldn't have gathered this information but they did so tough, I imagine any FOI request or anything similar would take time,

• Advertisement

sopretty wrote: »
    Would the courier company not be breaching the Data Protection Act? Do they not have to disclose to you how they store and disseminate information relating to you?
    That's what I was thinking, maybe there being over friendly with SW.

Advertisement