Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gluten-free simnel cake

Options
  • 17-03-2014 8:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭

I'm planning on making a simnel cake for Easter and was hoping to make it gluten-free. I'm not sure how long it will stay fresh though. Could anyone advise please? If I was to make it a few weeks in advance, would it be better to choose a recipe that contains some alcohol?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

It's not alcohol that preserves fruit cakes, it's the sugar in the fruit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭CeannRua

It's not alcohol that preserves fruit cakes, it's the sugar in the fruit.

I know but thought alcohol might help a bit. It's the impact of gluten-free flour I'm questioning here really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

CeannRua wrote: »
    I know but thought alcohol might help a bit. It's the impact of gluten-free flour I'm questioning here really.

Yeah I know, I don't know about the gluten free bit but I just wanted to clarify for you that a recipe with alcohol won't be a better recipe to choose to help narrow down what you're looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭tatumkelly

Gluten isn't key in preserving a fruit cake, it's a combination of other factors really.... f you're making a grain free cake ie. with ground almonds/coconut flour rather than a gluten free blend like Doves then it won't last as long. I can't give a scientific reason as to why this is the case.

If you are using a GF flour blend and that's the only change being made to the traditional recipe you'll be grand... it's when you start removing sugar and butter than issues with shelf life start to occur...

Advertisement