Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Septic tank emptying

Options
  • 17-03-2014 8:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Anyone know any farmers Raphoe/Letterkenny area would empty a tank at a reasonable price

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

letter2 wrote: »
    Anyone know any farmers Raphoe/Letterkenny area would empty a tank at a reasonable price

I know plenty farmers but I don't think they wish to take part in an illegal activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,384 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

its illegal if they aren't registered,

try these guys

http://www.dsenvironmental.ie/

tried your route first but couldnt find anyone so used those guys

• Registered Users Posts: 5 bambocha990

Yes i know of a local farmer who could do that, i got mine done last month. I could PM you his number if your still interested. Priced a few of them companys before hand and their prices were ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Yes i know of a local farmer who could do that, i got mine done last month. I could PM you his number if your still interested. Priced a few of them companys before hand and their prices were ridiculous.
    Is he registered to do that?

Yes i think he is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,625 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

What sort of price are you talking to have your tank emptied 'legally'?

NIMAN wrote: »
    What sort of price are you talking to have your tank emptied 'legally'?

He emptied mine for €120 but I think it depends where abouts your from?

Did he give you a receipt to prove it was emptied? As I would be guessing that once septic tank inspections are in full flow, they will be looking for proof that a registered company emptied your tank for you.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Did he give you a receipt to prove it was emptied? As I would be guessing that once septic tank inspections are in full flow, they will be looking for proof that a registered company emptied your tank for you.

No never got a receipt, never knew I had to get a receipt to be honest. Any way I'll take the chance rather than paying up to €350 just for a receipt, which will more than likely never be needed.

I'm not sure if you need a receipt to be honest, I was just asking if you got one or not.

I am sure in the future you will have to prove that you are getting your tank maintained by registered companies, thats the way all these things are going.

I am starting to think the reason you got it done for 120 is that he ain't legit to do tank emptying. I am sure the legal emptiers have to pay to dispose of the waste, hence their higher charges.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

The legitimate companies are charging the correct price, its not expensive its the correct price. Anything that looks too cheap is so for a reason.

If you need to go for an operation will you pay the correct price (or ridiculous price as you say) or a doctor hibbert price to get it done?

I for one would not like the thought that the contents of my septic tank were being emptied onto some field.

Get it done properly !

The legitimate companies are charging the correct price, its not expensive its the correct price. Anything that looks too cheap is so for a reason.

I for one would not like the thought that the contents of my septic tank were being emptied onto some field.

Get it done properly !

These "legitimate" companies you are referring to are charging obscene amounts when it is free for them to dispose of in local sewage treatment plants. **** is **** if you ask me, cow or human what's the difference you tell me?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

If you need to go for an operation will you pay the correct price (or ridiculous price as you say) or a doctor hibbert price to get it done?

Get it done properly !
    Where do these legitimate companies get rid of the waste?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

If a septic tank is working correctly it shouldn't need to be emptied, bacteria do the job instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,101 ✭✭✭✭muffler

If a septic tank is working correctly it shouldn't need to be emptied, bacteria do the job instead.
    No. It is recommended that septic tanks be emptied once a year on average.

Source (and all you need to know about septic tanks)

• Registered Users Posts: 46,101 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Just for the record Donegal County Council have a register of licensed waste disposal contractors. Only those on the register should be used.

muffler wrote: »
    No. It is recommended that septic tanks be emptied once a year on average.

Source (and all you need to know about septic tanks)

Ya if you have 50 living in the house

Love the drawings on that link, looks like something a primary school kid would draw!

I had always heard that a fully working septic tank would rarely need emptied. This site says to do it annually.

As for getting a local farmer to empty it for you, I read this bit with interest:

Householders having their septic tanks de-sludged should ensure that they retain a receipt from the permitted waste undertaker who de-sludges the tank.

The receipt should include the following information:

Name, address and Permit Number of the waste collector.
    Date of desludging.
    Quantity removed and destination to where the sludge is to be taken for treatment and disposal/recovery.

Have mine checked ever year for the last 3 years by registered personnel with no problems, saying it has to be done every year or every other year is to me just another way to screw money out of you.

Advertisement