Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda's favourite dub next up for the grilling:Jackyback.

Options
  • 17-03-2014 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭

Previous threads of this series are:
    Kurt Godel
    littlemsfickle
    BTH
    Green&Red
    Catzweazle
    Dory
    Oryx
    RQ
    Fazz
    Bambaata
    pgibbo
    AKW
    shotgunmcos
    peter kern
    zico10
    joey100
    Couerdelion
    Tunney
    miller82
    bryangiggsy

Drogheda's favourite dub next up for the grilling:Fran aka JB

Do you do the majority of your sessions morning,lunch or evening?

Whats your favourite session?

How do you keep Michelle happy with all the training?

What sports did you do growing up?

Are you self coached now?

What height are you ? (someone will ask) Whats your shoe size?

Why do you not do the NS tri races in Irl?

London is the A goal with Frankfurt the B...you have done little biking this yr because of that..whats the plan for the bike april till july?

Whos going to win between you and Tunney in Frankfurt?

Cheers B

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Might as well make a start on this
    Do you do the majority of your sessions morning,lunch or evening?
    This has changed over the last 18months or so. Midweek i used to pride myself on being an early riser so i would have said morning. This has now shifted to lunchtime sessions and late night sessions after the kids have gone to bed. At the weekends its normally early, i like to be back early enough to still have plenty of time to go out with Michelle & the kids for the day.
    Whats your favourite session?
    Favourite session for me would be something along the lines of 5x8min BG work close to or over threshold or some hard short efforts at 120%+ on the bike, when in the mood i do like a good tough turbo session.
    For run i like a set of fast 400s on the track, for swim....no comment:)
    How do you keep Michelle happy with all the training?
    By being a good husband and provider for the family. I try keep my priorities in order, family, work, training in that order. Sometimes those priorities go out of whack, it happens when you have a type A personality!! Michelle keeps me in check though, i am lucky that she is not a whingebag, one in a million.
    The other thing is she now sees how much more productive i am since being a healthier version of myself. That and she gets it and why i do it, having taken up running herself in the last 18 months helps.
    What sports did you do growing up?
    Played football, gaa, hurling and golf. Was decent enough at football and gaa, crap at hurling (filled in when low on numbers) and had my HC down to low teens or so when i was young playing golf.
    Are you self coached now?
    I have worked with the same coach for the last 3 or 4 years, we are more friends than the typical coach/athlete setup. We are always bouncing ideas off each other, mostly about other stuff outside of tri
    What height are you ? (someone will ask) Whats your shoe size?
    172cms or 5ft 7 & 1/2, the half is important:). Normally 8 in a shoe or 8.5 in a runner. Everyone is likely surprised when they meet me that i am not actually hobbit size!! Tunney started that one off and its lingered ever since.
    Why do you not do the NS tri races in Irl?
    The whole NS just never really floated my boat, not sure why, just never got into it.
    London is the A goal with Frankfurt the B...you have done little biking this yr because of that..whats the plan for the bike april till july?
    To get on it:)
    I would not even call Frankfurt a B goal at this stage with the way work timelines are lining up, in fact they are already conspiring against London. It will be a day out as i will not have the free time available to train properly for it. I will just go out and ride my bike when i can with possibly a sprinkling of some threshold work when i feel like it. A handful of long bikes thrown in if at all possible.
    Whos going to win between you and Tunney in Frankfurt?
    I had my chance in Roth to demolish him. If he gets 10 weeks of consistent training in he should beat me, if we both do fck all it will come down to who wants to get that first pint in first.
    I can see it playing out as, 10min gap on swim, maintained on the bike (possibly out to 15mins) and then me running him down in the last 5k of the run:)

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Pmaldini

Hey Jackyback

What motivated you to get into tri?
    What advice would you give to a first time IMer?
    If any of your kids were to excel in a sport, what sport would you like that to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Ha ha

How many burpees to fail can you do after reading this?
    How many push ups to fail can you do after that?
    How long can you hold a plank for then?

Favourite breakfast cereal?
    Most regular junk food you eat?
    As a kid what did you want to be when you grew up?
    How long do you see yourself doing tri for?
    Who wears bigger shoes, you or Michelle?
    How fast can you run 400m around a track?

Turbo 30sec on 30sec off angry hobbit style at 500w until you cannot average 500 for 30secs. Report back how many reps you can do?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Hello dah-ling! :)

How did you get into triathlon, and how long have you been involved in it?

I take it that swimming is your weakest link....so, at what age did you learn to swim, how many swim coaches have you had, and what kind of gains do you still feel are in you in the water?

What is the most unusual "drill" you've been asked to do in or around the pool?

What have been the biggest obstacles you've overcome in each of the three triathlon disciplines? (I am looking for one (or more) obstacle(s) per discipline.)

What stands out as your best ever race?

What have you learned from triathlon?

Have you any pre-race/race superstitions or rituals?

Do you train to race, or race to train?

In a race, are you tougher mentally or physically?

Have you any tattoos? If so, how many, where, and of what?

I believe you dabble in a little coaching yourself - if so, what is your setup/approach like, and how many athletes do you tend to?

It's well established that we have one or two (or three or four) very romantic male triathletes around here, so could you give them a run for their money with a story from your arsenal of hearts and flowers?

If you had to be stranded on an island for a year with one person on boards, who would that one person be AND WHY, and what 5 items would you have with you?

Hey Pmaldini
    Pmaldini wrote: »
    What motivated you to get into tri?
    Originally what got me into it was doing an IM. I remember watching one years ago when i was fat & very unfit and thinking to myself there is no way one could do that. After a year of run training i decided just to go for it. I would not encourage that approach but i managed to get through my first one in one piece.
    What advice would you give to a first time IMer?
    Be very patient and get your nutrition bang on. If you are feeling good very early on don't push the pace on the bike as it will come back to bite you in the back half of the marathon. You should be going through 90k of the bike feeling great!! Biggest piece of advice is enjoy and cherish the experience, sounds cliche but the first one should be special.
    If any of your kids were to excel in a sport, what sport would you like that to be?
    I would like to say football or athletics. My eldest Ben has no interest in sport as he is more of an academic type. He would be a decent runner if he had the interest and applied himself, also would be ok in the pool compared to his brick like Dad.
    Ryan the second eldest is interested in sport, he is with a football team and will be joining the running club at the end of this year. He is the polar opposite in that he enjoys sport.
    The two girls right now are just interested in Sofia the Princess and DocMcStuffins:)
    I need to be careful i don't become a pushy parent and let them choose the sports they are interested in.

• Advertisement

Ha ha

Hey Mike, it was only a matter of time for you to get revenge:)
    Favourite breakfast cereal?
    Porridge with honey, i do like a bowl of Frosties but they are so bad for you.
    Most regular junk food you eat?
    It would have to be pizza. We have a pizza/film night every Friday, even when i am preparing for an A race its the one thing i will never do is sacrifice pizza night:) I am a devil for pastries and ice cream although not so bad recently.
    As a kid what did you want to be when you grew up?
    I wanted to be an architect. At the time i think i needed 480pts or something silly to get into it, thankfully i fell short of the points required and ended up in a good career instead of it.
    How long do you see yourself doing tri for?
    Interesting question, i will likely always dabble in it however any lofty ambitions i had in the sport will need to be parked for a few years. I am never going back to the person i was 4 or 5 years ago.
    Who wears bigger shoes, you or Michelle
    Technically i do but she may tell you otherwise;)
    Turbo 30sec on 30sec off angry hobbit style at 500w until you cannot average 500 for 30secs. Report back how many reps you can do?
    Feck ye, i will need to come back to these over the week. Please dont bombard me with any more, finding it hard enough to fit normal training in:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭LCD

Favourite flavour of Yazoo?
    Your on the table in Vegas, playing a total numpty whom is having a great run. Bluff them or leave it?
    Do you believe you are Euro enough to pull off the Campag on your Ridley?
    You have a great hand but no money left, would you pawn your wedding ring?
    Which is harder running or making jelly?
    Is it possible to have an amazing string of luck as a numpty & take down a real pro poker player?

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Hello dah-ling! :)
    Hello to you also dah-ling:)
    How did you get into triathlon, and how long have you been involved in it?
    I started into tri with the aim to complete an IM, sort of evolved from there. This is my 4th year.
    I take it that swimming is your weakest link....so, at what age did you learn to swim, how many swim coaches have you had, and what kind of gains do you still feel are in you in the water?
    Yes swimming is my weakest and by a wide margin! I never learnt to swim properly as a child, could always stay afloat though! I only took up swimming after i signed up for IMUK:)
    I have just had the one coach (on pool deck) Tango, good teacher but the travel time and location of sessions meant it was not sustainable long term to get to the sessions. I would say any improvements at this stage would be minor, i just cannot swim properly. I think i could probably get down to swimming a sub 75min IM swim but that would be the guts of it.
    What is the most unusual "drill" you've been asked to do in or around the pool?
    Doggy paddle, archer, ripple and a few others but cannot rememeber the names.
    What have been the biggest obstacles you've overcome in each of the three triathlon disciplines? (I am looking for one (or more) obstacle(s) per discipline.)
    Swim - Biggest obstacle and i dont joke was swimming a 100mtrs without stopping for a break at the wall:) Also body position in the pool has always been an issue.
    Bike - Building up to the distance on the long bikes, 4,5 and 6hrs on occasion. Took me a while to adapt to these. The biggest obstacle i see on the bike is the after effects of the swim and the impact it has on my power. Whilst i have improved on this with ear plugs and motion sickness tablets there is still a drop off post swim.
    Run - None really apart from short legs/short strides:)
    What stands out as your best ever race?
    This may come as a surprise but i think i executed the best race and physically got the most out of myself (at the time, newbie to the sport) at IMUK. I remember crossing the finish line and i was spent, i had nothing left and could not stand up:)
    Challenge Barca also stands out, it was a 1.5hr pb but it more stands out for me dusting myself off and coming back for another bite after the dissapointment of Roth.
    What have you learned from triathlon?
    A number of things, time management needs to be very good, enjoyment, if you are not enjoying it then it's not worth doing it.
    Have you any pre-race/race superstitions or rituals?
    Nothing stands out, i suppose now the ritual would be to ensure i have skull cap, ear plugs and motion sickness tablets for the swim.
    Do you train to race, or race to train?
    I see racing as the reward for the training so train to race.
    In a race, are you tougher mentally or physically?
    Oh how the times change. Without doubt i would have answered this as mentally in the past, now i would say that the mental side is now a weakness of mine. I would have to go with physically right now.
    Have you any tattoos? If so, how many, where, and of what?
    No tattoos, not a fan, sure why would i want to taint what i have:)
    I believe you dabble in a little coaching yourself - if so, what is your setup/approach like, and how many athletes do you tend to?
    My setup and approach would be very direct and honest with the athlete, sometimes this works well and sometimes it does not. Anyone i work with i expect them to give commitment otherwise they are wasting my time and their own. I have scaled back a good bit, i am currently overseeing a group of 12 for a marathon in Prague and 3 individuals. Around DCM time this ramps up. At one stage last year i was taking care of a 110 doing the half and full last year. I may take a back seat this year as i need to be more selfish with my time although i do enjoy the coaching side of things.
    It's well established that we have one or two (or three or four) very romantic male triathletes around here, so could you give them a run for their money with a story from your arsenal of hearts and flowers?
    My story with Michelle should give them a run for their money. We met over 17 years ago on holiday, i was on first lads holiday abroad. I was ambushed by her parents at the bar who must have thought i was awesome:cool: who said "we have a girl for you". In she walked and even in my inebriated state i knew she was the one.
    I ended up giving up an apprenticeship in carpentry, said goodbye to my family and moved up to be with her. We have been married 14 years (in 2 weeks) and have not looked back since.
    If you had to be stranded on an island for a year with one person on boards, who would that one person be AND WHY, and what 5 items would you have with you?
    Of course it would have to be you Dory, you could teach me to swim:)
    5 items, my phone so i could ring someone to save me, goggles so i could go fishing underwater and see the little fishies, laptop to check up on work emails, a good book and my ipod.

Thanks for the Qs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

What's your best ever poker win? (not necessarily in Monetary value)

Any plans to go back to the tables?

Best/funniest poker story?

Do you miss it?

LCD wrote: »
    Favourite flavour of Yazoo?
    Favourite would be banana. Different occasions deserve different flavours.
    A cold/wet long bike - choc flavour
    A warm long bike or run - strawberry flavour
    A tough turbo - banana flavour
    Your on the table in Vegas, playing a total numpty whom is having a great run. Bluff them or leave it?
    Oh always stay and play even if they are on a run. Never try bluff a numpty as they will never fold. I always let them overplay a few hands, let them chuck their money in and take them to valuetown to clear them out.
    Played with a good few numpties in my time:)
    Do you believe you are Euro enough to pull off the Campag on your Ridley?
    Listen here, you know i am cool enough to pull off the campag look...as for you, no comment. You should know by now that i p1ss excellence!
    You have a great hand but no money left, would you pawn your wedding ring?
    No, not ever....even though i don't wear it any more as it fits my waist now. I think if you go down that road you are in major trouble.
    Which is harder running or making jelly?
    Making jelly, without a doubt.
    Is it possible to have an amazing string of luck as a numpty & take down a real pro poker player?
    Absolutely, its what keeps the game so open to all numpties. In what other sport (i use sport loosely for poker) can you sit down and play with world champions? Look at Moneymaker years ago, that guy is a shocking bad poker player, still is, but he ran like a god to win all those millions. He was good for it as poker went on a boom after he won.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Do you know why you won the Olympics Belof? Well it was because I wasn't there. But now I am here, right behind. Only I'm not behind you I'm ahead of you.

If we are talking pi$$ing excellence.

menoscemo wrote: »
    What's your best ever poker win? (not necessarily in Monetary value)
    There has been a good few, two stand out. I finished 3rd in the European Masters and 2 or 3 weeks later finished 6th (i think) in a large UK tourney which had a very tough field at the time. I was playing some of my best poker at the time.
    My one regret with the UK tourney is that i got carried away on the beer which largely cost me the opportunity to be mortgage free and take the win. There have been a good few online tourney wins as well.
    Any plans to go back to the tables?
    No plans to go back to the tables, no doubt the game has moved on and probably passed me out. I would likely play a few cash tables the next time in Vegas but purely for the craic.
    Best/funniest poker story?
    There has been many. One that stands out though....I had booked a lovely weekend away for me and Michelle to a nice fancy hotel to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We had planned on a nice romantic meal that evening. What i had not planned is that i won an entry into a $500 tourny online from a $20 entry earlier in the week without realising it was on one of the nights away. Short story is we ended up in the bar after the meal, i got the laptop outand proceeded to knock everyone out and win a $20,000 package to the World Champs in Vegas. That turned out to be a great night and the bar staff kept the bar open late celebrating.
    Another quick one, had about 3k in one of my accounts, ended up out for pints with a mate and back to the house. Woke up the next morning with vague recollections of playing online (oh dear i thought) I opened up the cashier expecting it to be empty, to my surprise i had won 15k. I had cleaned some poor guy out of it on the high stakes cash tables. Upon checking some of the hand historys i was pulling some bluffs:)
    Do you miss it?
    It provided lots of disposable cash, but no, i do not miss the lifestyle or the person i was back then, all 15stone of him.

Frankfurt, which would you prefer.

You do 9:59 and I do 9:58
    or
    you do 10:29 and I do 10:30

Sub ten or beat me?

Three questions:

1) They had leprechauns in Aoibhe's playschool last Thursday, seemingly they were great and very realistic. Were you one of them?

2) You claim to be over average height. Why then does Michelle insist you are "rather short"?

3) Why have you never performed in races? (cause someone was going to ask it and here is a link to my take in it)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Since Tunney brought it up -
    why straight in at the long distance, and why not do a year of Olympics or half distances to build up/to refocus/to get faster?
    Do you not like association with the word 'short'? ;)

tunney wrote: »
    Do you know why you won the Olympics Belof? Well it was because I wasn't there. But now I am here, right behind. Only I'm not behind you I'm ahead of you.

If we are talking pi$$ing excellence.

Thats a class scene from American Flyers but i was more thinking of Ricky Bobby pi$$ing excellence.

Frankfurt, which would you prefer.

You do 9:59 and I do 9:58
    or
    you do 10:29 and I do 10:30

Sub ten or beat me?

Thats an easy one, 9:59. Sure i have already beat you before, whilst hungover:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Ah, Ricky Bobby. :D So, do you believe if you're not first you're last?

Hypothetical situation: you are one of three bachelors on The Dating Game seated between the other two bachelors, Tunney and Bambaata. :) All of you are out of my view so I have no idea what any of you look like, but I am able to talk to all of you and ask you questions....so my question to you would be this - tell me about the other two contestants' physical features AND personality, and then tell me why, based on their physical features and personality, I should pick you over the other two to escort me on a romantic getaway to an all expenses paid and all alcohol provided trip to a tropical island?

1) They had leprechauns in Aoibhe's playschool last Thursday, seemingly they were great and very realistic. Were you one of them?

I was busy that day so sent out a friend instead.
    2) You claim to be over average height. Why then does Michelle insist you are "rather short"?

I can never recall her saying that, you must be making this up. In fairness she is about 3inches taller than me, this quickly changes to several inches when she feels the need to wear high heels and completely humiliate me:)
    3) Why have you never performed in races? (cause someone was going to ask it and here is a link to my take in it)

I could really just copy and paste your post and that would be close to my reply.
    The main issue i had and still have to some extent is transition from swim to bike. I hate making excuses but unless you have experienced sea/motion sickness or whatever you want to call it, it’s hard to understand how it can really impact on your race as soon as you get on the bike.
    It's bloody annoying that i have yet to perform in a race, even including Challenge Barca which was a 10:33. I think the longer it goes on the more it actually has an impact on me. Just need a good race for the confidence alone. The annoying thing is i have biked long and held 220-230w in training, heck even my easy paced cycles are at 180-200w. So it’s a bit of a mind fvk when you cannot hold close to that wattage you have trained at on race day and feeling sh1t in the process, let’s be honest holding 150w in Roth or 170w in Barca is pretty poor. I know i have done the work in the past to bike a low 5hr given my build and position and run well off it. Problem is its all talk until it’s backed up in a race.
    So that’s one of the reasons i have not performed. Others would include putting myself under severe pressure to do well. This unfortunately is a trait of mine and i do believe does have some impact on performance leading up to key races. Another is juggling too many things at once, that cannot be good.
    If i was to do a complete redo i would have been better served building up over 4 or 5 years, thats not how i roll though. I am far to impatient for that!!
    Finally its only now, 2 years on how much i am starting to fully realise the impact that day in Roth has had on me. I am mentally shot since then and have not been the same since. It took me two months to properly recover physically after that experience.
    Sounds like a lot of excuses but i think they are the main reasons as to why i have not performed, most of them to some extent have been out of my control, well Frankfurt anyway...perhaps i am better off steering away from German races as i have yet to finish one:)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

What's you favourite flavour of crisps?
    Any plans to do any other races other than boring Ironman this year? ( other than lough cutra )
    Why are you so negative about your swimming? Why do you not belive you have any ability to improve on the swim?
    Where do you expect your cycling to be after London?
    Are you upset I won't be joining you in London?
    You say you don't have lofty ambitions anymore, why not?
    Do Michelle's parents regret making you ask her out? :p
    6 months, 3 times a week of swim coaching - how good can you be?
    Ever consider bike racing?
    Does Michelle get sick of you being around ALL the time after your long races? :)
    Why are you so short? Did you smoke/do weights when you were like, 5?

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »
    Since Tunney brought it up -
    why straight in at the long distance, and why not do a year of Olympics or half distances to build up/to refocus/to get faster?
    Do you not like association with the word 'short'? ;)

Hey,

Not sure why i jumped in at the deep end, just thought one day, fevk it, going to do an IM. I think anyone contemplating doing an IM and doing it properly should have a 5 year plan building up to it. As you say focus on getting faster at the shorter distances and that should transfer to the longer distances if you have the training right.
    Not too bothered being called short because i know really i am a giant of a man:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Howdy Jackyback:

1. Given the choice, would you add three hours to your training week to improve your 3.8k swim by 20mins, or add two hours to improve your 180k bike by 15mins?

2. What was your best ever Sprint race? Standard race?

3. Favourite place to go OW swimming?

4. Opinion on PED's in Tri (at all levels)?

5. Have you ever drafted in a race?

6. When the Wonderbra was first unveiled, flat-chested women around the world rejoiced. How did you celebrate the release of the Nike Air range of footwear?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Howdy Jackyback:

1. Given the choice, would you add three hours to your training week to improve your swim by 20%, or add two hours to improve your bike by 10%?
    How did you do that math?! 3 hours to improve swim, thus doubling the average week volume for 20% is approx 15min race gain, 2 hours to improve bike 10% is approx 30min race gain plus an extra hour sleep per week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

How did you do that math?! 3 hours to improve swim, thus doubling the average week volume for 20% is approx 15min race gain, 2 hours to improve bike 10% is approx 30min race gain plus an extra hour sleep per week!

Forgot I was in a Tri=IM zone, guess I was thinking of the fairer distances of sprint & Oly.

Ah, Ricky Bobby. :D So, do you believe if you're not first you're last?
    Yes, yes i do. Just remember to shake n bake
    Hypothetical situation: you are one of three bachelors on The Dating Game seated between the other two bachelors, Tunney and Bambaata. :) All of you are out of my view so I have no idea what any of you look like, but I am able to talk to all of you and ask you questions....so my question to you would be this - tell me about the other two contestants' physical features AND personality, and then tell me why, based on their physical features and personality, I should pick you over the other two to escort me on a romantic getaway to an all expenses paid and all alcohol provided trip to a tropical island?

Oh dear Dory we are going to have two very disappointed bachelors in Tunney & Bambaata, you know this will upset them.
    Contestant 1 - Introducing Tunney - Physical features, d cup, Ricki Lake lookalike who's milkshakes brings all the boys to the yard. Personality wise he will likely bore you to death with talk of cloud this and cloud that and why he needs to go and buy a an 802.11ac router and dongle or needs a cloud provider for a 4 vcore 8gb vm. Also has a dwarf fetish.
    Contestant 2 - Introducing Bambaata - Physical features, tall, very tall, a bit like that lad "The Jolly Green Giant". Personality, a big softie at heart but be careful of his quite demeanour for he is likely an axe murderer and not safe to be around.
    After reading the above from contestant 1 or 2 i don't really need to give you the hard sell from contestant 3 but if i did it would go along the lines of.
    Tall Mediterranean looking with deep meaningful eyes, 6 pack with legs the size of tree trunks that can push out a million watts for hours on end. Personality, a fun guy to be around who can get a girls engine revving:) Failing all that and to seal the deal i would offer you truckloads of chocolate to pick me.

You and your crazy hypothetical situations Dory, always pick no 3:)

Forgot I was in a Tri=IM zone, guess I was thinking of the fairer distances of sprint & Oly.

If we get concerned about "fairer" strip out the wetsuits and make the swim a swim

What's you favourite flavour of crisps?
    Thai Sweet Chilli, Monster Munch or Max C&0
    Any plans to do any other races other than boring Ironman this year? ( other than lough cutra )
    Only races confirmed so far are cutra and FF, hopefully i will get another sprint or oly in later in the year but will wait and see.
    Why are you so negative about your swimming? Why do you not belive you have any ability to improve on the swim?
    Not negative about my swimming just realistic. I have poor technique, body position and a load of other issues contributing to a poor swim. I could probably improve if i swam 5 times a week but the upshot is i dislike swimming, we tend to avoid things we don't like doing:)
    Where do you expect your cycling to be after London?
    In the sh1tter. I have been out for one or two 2hr spins but completely ignoring power on them as i am sure numbers are woeful. Cycling will be a long way off as i have done no quality bike work in 4 or 5 months and mileage this year is shy of 500kms compared to last year when i had nearly 3k put down by now.
    Not overly concerned, as i said earlier FF is not a focus so will get around. I biked a 5.19 in Barca off a woeful 173np (had not realised swim issues at the time) So if i could get back to riding the same again it should yield a similar time.
    Are you upset I won't be joining you in London?
    Yes very, who is going to buy me a pint now!
    You say you don't have lofty ambitions anymore, why not?
    Cannot commit, there is only so many hours in the day. When you consider that currently work is taking up 39% of my overall week, sleep 29% it does not leave much time for family, rnr let alone trying to fit in 10-12hrs of training. I cannot have lofty ambitions when i have so much going on right now. Not to say i will not revisit them in a few years as i intend on staying fit and active.
    Do Michelle's parents regret making you ask her out? :p
    Of course not, don't be silly. They think i am awesome.
    6 months, 3 times a week of swim coaching - how good can you be?
    Closer to a 70min IM swim than i am now;)
    Ever consider bike racing?
    I did and have. Problem is there are so many numpties in A4 who cannot ride a bike. I crashed out last year in a race and was lucky to escape with a cut under the eye and a mangled elbow with some road rash, you are not even safe at the front.
    The crashes would put me off, sure look at poor SB and Beasty, both have missed work and look the worse for wear as a result to a silly crash.
    Does Michelle get sick of you being around ALL the time after your long races? :)
    No, she loves me being around as it allows her to get more running in:). She is a competitive gal. She understands all the big events and one failure to the next has not been good for the mood or mojo so is happy i am taking a step back for a while.
    Why are you so short? Did you smoke/do weights when you were like, 5?
    What height are you again? I like you being around, it makes me feel like a giant.

Hey P
    1. Given the choice, would you add three hours to your training week to improve your 3.8k swim by 20mins, or add two hours to improve your 180k bike by 15mins?
    I would choose the swim every day. A 20min gain would have me out of the water under 60mins and still have me feeling like i am in a race. It should also allow me to bike (legally) in a faster pace line compared to coming out 20mins later. That and i would beat Tunney out of the water!!
    2. What was your best ever Sprint race? Standard race?
    Athlone OLY (i think in 2012) for sprint it would be my first in Muckno as i learnt a lot that day. I have not done too many sprints/olys actually when i look back.
    3. Favourite place to go OW swimming?
    Nice spot down the road from our house in Turkey so would pick there. I did like swimming in Callella when over there, that was probably my most enjoyable IM swim.
    4. Opinion on PED's in Tri (at all levels)?
    If you have to take PED's to win your AG in some back ar$e of nowhere race then you should take a long look at yourself in the mirror. I would say doping is rife enough in tri across all levels including the Irish circuit. People want to be perceived as winners at all costs.
    5. Have you ever drafted in a race?
    No, never. Whats the point you are only fooling yourself. I got very annoyed at a race last year when i was battling large groups on the bike drafting off each other.
    6. When the Wonderbra was first unveiled, flat-chested women around the world rejoiced. How did you celebrate the release of the Nike Air range of footwear?
    Not a fan of Nike Air but a massive fan of the Wonderbra. Anything that can help improve cleavage is a good thing in my eyes:)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

What height are you again? I like you being around, it makes me feel like a giant.

Girls are allowed to be small :P
    I worked in the hospital for so long as the Fillipino nurses made me feel tall! :D

• Advertisement

64 burpees, in a heap today, thanks
    47 push ups, these were after the burpees so dissapointing
    5mins 11secs, i was quivering by the end of it
    400mtrs first one 66.7secs, badly paced the first 200 on this one so angry hobbit kicked in, took a breather and went again 65.3secs. Not bad considering i had ran about 10k before it with some mp work.
    The 500w 30sec intervals will have to wait until i recover from the above.:)

Advertisement