Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda's favourite dub next up for the grilling:Jackyback.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

So, a poker shark then? What role, if any, did strip poker play in you amassing your talent and winnings at the table?

Hypothetical: You've made it to the Worlds Team Twister* Tournament, but have to pick your limber partner from a field of three Twister wannabes - the remaining two will be your opponents. The field of three consist of Kurt, Tunney and RacoonQueen. Who do you pick and why?

*that fun loving, crazy Hasbro game of limbs, colors and squares

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Pmaldini

Dory Dory wrote: »
    So, a poker shark then? What role, if any, did strip poker play in you amassing your talent and winnings at the table?

Hypothetical: You've made it to the Worlds Team Twister* Tournament, but have to pick your limber partner from a field of three Twister wannabes - the remaining two will be your opponents. The field of three consist of Kurt, Tunney and RacoonQueen. Who do you pick and why?

Jeez Dory, you have some imagination!!

Pmaldini wrote: »
    Jeez Dory, you have some imagination!!

The conventional is so boring. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Well JB

How must of poker is luck or natural\learned talent (rain man)
    What music is the car stereo,
    Favorite Film
    Money no object or good night on the tables what bike(s) would you buy.

Ideal location for a nice spin, run swim.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Hey Fran,
    What do you do for crust?
    Dream hoilday?
    Favourite meal (all courses) and plonk?
    Favourite flick?
    5 dinner guests - who and why?
    Boards relay team - which 2 boardsies do you pick and why?
    Is there a diff between Campag and SRAM/Shimano?
    P2M compared to the SRM - thoughts?
    Bucket list races?
    Did the Faris affair from Blacksod scar you for life? :pac:
    Do you coach any triathletes?
    Ever thought of doing any accredited coaching courses - running or tri?

P.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Dory Dory wrote: »

Jeez Dory you're as mad as a box of frogs, how do you come up with these.

Yes a bit ok a poker shark in my day, strip poker does not really sit well with a bunch of middle aged men and some of the girls in poker could do with a can of deodorant. I have played beside a few stinkers in my day. Played with yer girl, Jennifer Tilly, she is a bit of a tit.(or tits)

I would pick RQ as my companion for Twister, she does not take up much space and I would probably double up with laugher watching Tunney & Kurt get caught up in a sexual position!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Hi JB,

You have 4 children yes? What ages are they? It must be very hard making time for them and training. I only have one and she often complains that I love my bike more than her.

Just like Tunney, your wife must be a great woman :D

Do you stretch after your runs or foam roll?

Do you do strength training?

What kind of runners do you wear?

What bike?

BennyMul wrote: »
    Well JB

How must of poker is luck or natural\learned talent (rain man)
    What music is the car stereo,
    Favorite Film
    Money no object or good night on the tables what bike(s) would you buy.

Ideal location for a nice spin, run swim.

Hey BM,

Poker is probably 70/30 or even 80/20 in favour of skill. Over a large sample size of hands luck should even out. I have often had a run of bad luck but when you played as many hands as I used to online you soon forget about them. I used to multi table from 2 to 10 tables at a time depending on stakes. Probably 800 hands in an hour.
    One of the kids CDs, hippy hoppy tunes or something like that:)
    Shawshank Redemption or Deer Hunter stands out. Big fan of Jackson's work on LOTR and Hobbit, two lads are massive fans so it rubs off.
    I would go with a loaded P5 with 808s and a wireless SRM with dura ace. I am happy with my Ridley Noah, lovely bike.
    For swim, anywhere in the Med, for bike I would love to hit France and take in a few iconic climbs like AlpDhuez and Ventoux. For run I would pick San Franciso, the flat or downhill parts:)

Been to any/many good boxing nights?
    Best fight you've ever seen?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

pgibbo wrote: »

outside Supermac's of a Saturday night does not count ?

• Advertisement

Hey P,
    What do you do for crust?
    GOD - as in Group Operations Director for a large FMCG business. High pressure job in a fast paced environment.
    Dream hoilday?
    I would like to visit Vietnam, Thailand, Japan and Australia. I plan to take a career break for 3months later in life when the kids are grown up and go travelling. Its the one regret i have before i settled down.
    For right now the dream holiday is 3 weeks with my lot in Disneyland this year, i really cannot wait to see their faces.
    Favourite meal (all courses) and plonk?
    Crab claws or possibly a seafood chowder for starter
    Nice piece of wagyu beef with a selection of veg and a big plate of spuds:)
    For dessert something like a rich banoffee pie or cheesecake, love cheesecake.
    For plonk it would either be a nice bottle of chateau ollieux romanis corbieres or a Clos du Val Stags Leap if you want to spend a little bit more.
    Favourite flick?
    Shawshank Redemption and Deer Hunter. Big fan (as as well as my 2 lads) of Jacksons work on LOTR and Hobbit.
    5 dinner guests - who and why?
    Richard Branson - Great business mind who would be good to chat with
    Morgan Freeman - Purely just to listen to him talk, his voice is soothing
    Ali - The Ali of years ago, i would say he is great craic to have around the table and could tell some stories
    De Niro - big fan of his in the early days (before the Fockers)
    Jessica Alba - Purely for something nice to look at and cop off with at the end of the night:)
    Boards relay team - which 2 boardsies do you pick and why?
    Swim - Tango, he came swim like a fish
    LCD - On the bike, guy can just keep it at 95% of FTP all day long. Nearly as good on the bike as i am but he is closing the gap in fairness:P
    I would do the run
    Is there a diff between Campag and SRAM/Shimano?
    I think the campag shifts cleaner, not a huge difference in fairness. Plus i can say i am a real cyclist by riding with campag
    P2M compared to the SRM - thoughts?
    SRMs without doubt, although they would need to be wireless. The P2M benefits to being easily transfered between bikes were the wired SRM is a bit more restrictive. I find the P2M reads marginally lower than the srms. 2 pm's are a bit OTT.
    Bucket list races?
    Kona is and always be on the bucket list, the prospect of one day racing there excites me.
    Norseman
    Marathon De Sables
    RAAM - i am trying to convince a few for my 40th:)
    Did the Faris affair from Blacksod scar you for life? :pac:
    Would you like to see a pic? I have not been the same since. That was a great weekend of stag/racing. Not a good idea doing Blacksod when feeling slightly under the weather.
    Do you coach any triathletes?
    Yes one at the moment and the rest are runners although I chat regular to guys i have dealt with previously and would advise others on an informal basis.
    Ever thought of doing any accredited coaching courses - running or tri?
    Not really considered perhaps for dealing with kids in the future as its an area i want to get into. It's not something i would ever consider doing full time as i would require a 100 athletes on the books to make it financially viable and i dont think you can spread yourself that thin without sacrificing quality of coaching service along with the personal touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Hey P,

GOD - as in Group Operations Director for a large FMCG business. High pressure job in a fast paced environment.

I would like to visit Vietnam, Thailand, Japan and Australia. I plan to take a career break for 3months later in life when the kids are grown up and go travelling. Its the one regret i have before i settled down.
    For right now the dream holiday is 3 weeks with my lot in Disneyland this year, i really cannot wait to see their faces.

Crab claws or possibly a seafood chowder for starter
    Nice piece of wagyu beef with a selection of veg and a big plate of spuds:)
    For dessert something like a rich banoffee pie or cheesecake, love cheesecake.
    For plonk it would either be a nice bottle of chateau ollieux romanis corbieres or a Clos du Val Stags Leap if you want to spend a little bit more.

Shawshank Redemption and Deer Hunter. Big fan (as as well as my 2 lads) of Jacksons work on LOTR and Hobbit.

Richard Branson - Great business mind who would be good to chat with
    Morgan Freeman - Purely just to listen to him talk, his voice is soothing
    Ali - The Ali of years ago, i would say he is great craic to have around the table and could tell some stories
    De Niro - big fan of his in the early days (before the Fockers)
    Jessica Alba - Purely for something nice to look at and cop off with at the end of the night:)

Swim - Tango, he came swim like a fish
    LCD - On the bike, guy can just keep it at 95% of FTP all day long. Nearly as good on the bike as i am but he is closing the gap in fairness:P
    I would do the run

I think the campag shifts cleaner, not a huge difference in fairness. Plus i can say i am a real cyclist by riding with campag

SRMs without doubt, although they would need to be wireless. The P2M benefits to being easily transfered between bikes were the wired SRM is a bit more restrictive. I find the P2M reads marginally lower than the srms. 2 pm's are a bit OTT.

Kona is and always be on the bucket list, the prospect of one day racing there excites me.
    Norseman
    Marathon De Sables
    RAAM - i am trying to convince a few for my 40th:)

Would you like to see a pic? I have not been the same since. That was a great weekend of stag/racing. Not a good idea doing Blacksod when feeling slightly under the weather.

Yes one at the moment and the rest are runners although I chat regular to guys i have dealt with previously and would advise others on an informal basis.

Not really considered perhaps for dealing with kids in the future as its an area i want to get into. It's not something i would ever consider doing full time as i would require a 100 athletes on the books to make it financially viable and i dont think you can spread yourself that thin without sacrificing quality of coaching service along with the personal touch.

Must send you that second wiring kit.

Also you make jelly for a living

Hey, hope you are healing well after that crash!
    Solobally8 wrote: »
    Hi JB,
    You have 4 children yes? What ages are they? It must be very hard making time for them and training. I only have one and she often complains that I love my bike more than her.
    Yes 4 kids, Ben 11, Ryan 7, Lauren, 4.5 and Hannah is 3yrs old. They are my everything, sounds soppy but true:)
    Very difficult fitting everything in but i always try schedule sessions outside of their time, like lunchtime or night time when they are in bed. I would rather sacrifice my own RnR time than impact on time with them and that is usually what happens.
    My only regret is missing some of the early Sat/Sun mornings waking up with them as i am normally out early training. Its a huge bug bearer of mine when i hear of athletes who work a basic 40hr week, have no kids, no other real commitments but yet still complain about not having enough time to fit in 12hrs of training a week >end rant<
    Just like Tunney, your wife must be a great woman :D
    She is very understanding alright. She prefers the version 1.2 of the Hobbit and understands that training (most of the time) is my outlet to destress from the job.
    Tunney's wife who we have met and had drinks with a good few times really has Tunneys balls in her pocket:) (joking) she is sound also
    Do you stretch after your runs or foam roll?
    Dont believe in stretching but do foam roll
    Do you do strength training?
    I used to but not enough. Its always the first session to fall off the weekly plan. It is very important though for tri.
    What kind of runners do you wear?
    I am a brooks fan, ST5, T7, pureflow and purecadence. Great shoes.
    What bike?
    I currently have a P2 tri bike, Ridley Noah racing bike and a fisher as my winter hack.

it was enough to see that pic on twitter that morning. So thanks but NO THANKS :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

it was enough to see that pic on twitter that morning. So thanks but NO THANKS :D

Imagine me running around your house dressed as Faris before Lough Cultra..........

Not really no. I was due to go to a Pacman fight one time in Vegas and had tickets but i was stuck in a big tourney at the time with a chance to win some $$$$.
    Some that spring to mind closer to home would be Benn v Eubank but the series of fights that stick out is the Barrera & Morales fights, they were epic. Google them if you have not seen them. I used to be a big boxing fan.

What are your PBs for 5k, 10k HM & marathon?

Here's one I found interesting on FB recently & it was harder to compile than it sounds.

List your top 10 albums.

Just how tired are you after your red eye flight?

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

What's it like on a flight when you have ample leg room? It's something I've never experienced.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

hey JB
    let to the show here, but:

Which do you prefer coaching, runners or triathletes?
    Do you see any of your personality rubbing off on the kids? How about the training mentality? i always get a kick when my 3 year old says she is going for a run. might only be 30 secs, but the mindset is there:)
    lot of focus on the showdown in FF, but why are ye all ignoring the biggest race of the year, the face to face in cutra? are ye really that worried that AKW might show up?
    if you just wanted to hit the road for a 2 hour spin to have fun, the cervelo or the ridley? (reckon i know, abut after the hours you've put in on the tt bike i just wanted to check)
    always figured when i saw your run times/ability to run/pace a marathon off little training you were a life long runner. what was your run like when you started?
    for all the slagging you get about your size, how much of a payback is it to ghost past a big guy pounding an 80kg load around a course?

What are your PBs for 5k, 10k HM & marathon?

Here's one I found interesting on FB recently & it was harder to compile than it sounds.

List your top 10 albums.

Just how tired are you after your red eye flight?

P.

5k would be 17:4x, 10k is 38:XC something in a training session. Have not flat out raced a 10k in a long time. Half is well outdated, high 1:20s but probably around 1:24/5 if I was to run one now. 3:05 for Mara in 2012.

I could probably not even think of 10 albums off the top of my head.

Absolutely shagged :( another 16hr day on the cards!

• Advertisement

BTH wrote: »
    What's it like on a flight when you have ample leg room? It's something I've never experienced.

It's great, you can really stretch out.

mossym wrote: »
    hey JB
    let to the show here, but:

Which do you prefer coaching, runners or triathletes?
    Do you see any of your personality rubbing off on the kids? How about the training mentality? i always get a kick when my 3 year old says she is going for a run. might only be 30 secs, but the mindset is there:)
    lot of focus on the showdown in FF, but why are ye all ignoring the biggest race of the year, the face to face in cutra? are ye really that worried that AKW might show up?
    if you just wanted to hit the road for a 2 hour spin to have fun, the cervelo or the ridley? (reckon i know, abut after the hours you've put in on the tt bike i just wanted to check)
    always figured when i saw your run times/ability to run/pace a marathon off little training you were a life long runner. what was your run like when you started?
    for all the slagging you get about your size, how much of a payback is it to ghost past a big guy pounding an 80kg load around a course?

Runners, they listen more and are less complicated to coach. I do like dishing out the pain though on the bike.!
    I think Ryan will be the sporty one, he is as impatient as his Father.
    FF is more smack talk than any big showdown. I would have to retire if AKW took my scalp, sure he is in his 60s.
    It would be the Ridley although if I felt the need for speed I would choose the P2
    I was a 49min 10k runner and my first marathon was a 3:56. I have no natural ability and have to work hard for it. Pacing 3:20 was a big stretch at the time with 1 long run and poor fitness, stuborness kicked in.
    It's great :)

That's me done, next victim coming up later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

I keep forgetting these finish on TUESDAY!

Favourite Movie Character?
    Favourite scene from a movie?
    Dory has now overtaken you as 2014 boards big spender - is there any purchases coming soon?
    Do you still play poker with friends - our regular games dried up a little a few years back with some blood hungry friends making a killing off one or two hopeless players - you could sense the unease in the air with some of the less competitive players with how much money one or two people lost on a regular basis
    Whats the itinerary for the Disney Trip - would be somewhere I would love to bring them - luckily I dont need to have the readies for a few years yet

Pacing 3:20 was a big stretch at the time with 1 long run and poor fitness, stuborness kicked in.

:eek: Thank god I didn't know this at the time!!!

catweazle wrote: »
    I keep forgetting these finish on TUESDAY!

Favourite Movie Character? HOBBIT:)
    Favourite scene from a movie? ANY GIVEN SUNDAY, THE SPEECH WITH PACINO
    Dory has now overtaken you as 2014 boards big spender - is there any purchases coming soon? MAYBE A SET OF WHEELS BUT THATS ABOUT IT
    Do you still play poker with friends - our regular games dried up a little a few years back with some blood hungry friends making a killing off one or two hopeless players - you could sense the unease in the air with some of the less competitive players with how much money one or two people lost on a regular basis NO, THE LAST TIME I PLAYED A HAND WAS TO WIN ENOUGH TO BUY SOMETHING I NEEDED;) WHICH WAS A GOOD WHILE AGO
    Whats the itinerary for the Disney Trip - would be somewhere I would love to bring them - luckily I dont need to have the readies for a few years yet. THIS IS YET TO BE AGREED BUT NEEDLESS TO SAY I PLAN ON COVERING EVERYTHING AS WE HAVE 3 WEEKS OVER THERE. LIKELY DAY ON/DAY OFF TO RELAX POOLSIDE. REALLY LOOKING FORWARD TO THE BREAK, TURNING THE PHONE AND WORK LATOP OFF FOR THOSE 3 WEEKS!!

Advertisement