Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raid0 failure or is it?

Options
  • 17-03-2014 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭

When I bought my PC I selected the raid0 option with 2 drives knowing full well that raid0 has no redundancy.

Today when I booted it up Intel rapid storage technology popped an error saying the second drive had failed. Sounds pretty bad if I understand raid0 correctly but everything seems to be fine. It boots up fine. Chrome works fine. COD4 and Fallout play fine. Eclipse loads fine. If one of the drives is gone shouldn't all the files bigger than the stripe size (128KB) be missing half their data? The combined drive is about 20% full , does that matter?

I might order a new drive tomorrow anyway but is this normal with a raid0 issue or might the error message be wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,451 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If you understand anything about probability theory, you would know that RAID-0 is asking for trouble.

Say the chance of an individual HDD failing on a given day is one in 2,000. Putting two such disks in a RAID-0 configuration and allowing for the fact that total failure only requires one of them to fail, the chances of failure in the first year is 31% and in the first two years is 52%. You'd need your head examined using RAID-0 if you cannot tolerate the loss of your data.

Even at a failure probability of 1 in 5,000 which would be exceptionally reliable, you're looking at a 25% chance of failure with RAID-0 in the first two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

coylemj wrote: »
    If you understand anything about probability theory, you would know that RAID-0 is asking for trouble.

You'd need your head examined using RAID-0 if you cannot tolerate the loss of your data.

Thanks for the psych consult. There is nothing just on the PC I would be particularly bothered to lose. Reinstalling from scratch would be a pain however which is why I was wondering if the disk has actually failed or if the error is spurious.

Advertisement