Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very sad passing of a massive Spurs fan

Options
  • 17-03-2014 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭

Folks,

Some of you will be aware of the recent passing of joint-chairman of the Spurs Supporters Trust Darren Alexander. Today his family and friends came together to bid him a final farewell.

Darren was a very good friend of mine, who passed away the Friday before last at the very young age of 42.

He worked tirelessly in the interests of Spurs fans, and it is ironic that on the day he passed the three Spurs fans facing prosecution for the "Y word" debacle were told their cases had been dropped, as he and the Trust had been supporting the three lads and liaised between them and the Football Supporters Federation.

Darren would also have been made up at today's announcement re. reselling of tickets on Stubhub as he was passionate in his opposition to the idea of anybody profiting from the sale of Spurs tickets over and above their face value.

Some of the users of this board have benefited in the past from Darren's connection with the club (whether they knew this or not) and he was the sort of bloke who would go out of his way to help complete strangers with anything to do with THFC.

More importantly, Darren was kind, warm-hearted, incredibly funny (even if he did nick the jokes from Jimmy Carr) and a tremendous friend to have. He gave far more than he ever received back. And he deserved a much longer, and happier, life. My words could never do him justice, and I apologise for that.

RIP Darren.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Hey Ronan.. I read a couple of articles on various sites about him, very much liked and very much much missed was the general message, very sad. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Never had the pleasure of meeting Darren but had corresponded with him a few times re supporters trust etc. I alos knew him from his post on FTL where he was always a good man to fight his corner. My son met him a few times on away trips (through Ronan) and had told me that he was a very genuine fella and good company.

Darren is a huge loss to the Spurs community but even more so to his family and close friends

R.I.P.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

yiddo59 wrote: »
    Never had the pleasure of meeting Darren but had corresponded with him a few times re supporters trust etc. I alos knew him from his post on FTL where he was always a good man to fight his corner. My son met him a few times on away trips (through Ronan) and had told me that he was a very genuine fella and good company.

Darren is a huge loss to the Spurs community but even more so to his family and close friends

R.I.P.

Its amazing Pat, I was speaking to Darren's cousin Nick today who Kev, Crowley and myself had a beer with in Dublin Airport after Lyon last February.

Such a small world.

p.s. if you lot are up in Dublin for a Foras/Continuity Cork City/Cark GAA match let me and him know ;)

Its amazing Pat, I was speaking to Darren's cousin Nick today who Kev, Crowley and myself had a beer with in Dublin Airport after Lyon last February.

Such a small world.

p.s. if you lot are up in Dublin for a Foras/Continuity Cork City/Cark GAA match let me and him know ;)

Pity it won;t be for a game v Shels this season but will do :D;). Kevin was onto Nick last week when we heard the sad news.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Ronan, I just realised that this is Darren who I met on a few occasions when with you in the Coach a few years back. I am very saddened to hear of his passing.

R.I.P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Lovely words Ro

I enjoyed manys a pint with Daz over the years, what a great Spurs man he was.
    Poor fella - still can't believe he's gone, its sureal

RIP

Nice tribute to Darren from Liverpool fans today.

Bj_w-i9IgAMSzpI.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭EIREHotspur

Bj_w-i9IgAMSzpI.jpg

After watching a very bad performance on the pitch.....then seeing this.....That's just very classy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Such a lovely gesture, I know Darren and the SOS lads were very close and were working on a lot of joint initiatives to help all football fans (along with the FSF and other Supporters Trusts) but says a lot about him that in such a short space of time he'd make that sort of connection with them.

Advertisement