Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada to USA, Doc's needed??

Options
  • 17-03-2014 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭

Hi All, currently on a 2 year working holiday visa in Canada with my GF.

I have family in Vegas, and in January booked flights for the both of us to visit them in April!

Problem is i remember last time i visited the US, my travel agent said i had to apply to the US embassy in Dublin to be cleared to enter the states??

This will be my GF's first visit and I'm wondering do we have to do the same to gain entry, or do we just get the flight and fill in the little form they give us on the plane before we land?

Only 2 weeks to get this sorted woops!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If arriving in the US by air with an Irish passport, you will need to get ESTA approval, it costs $14. You will need your passport and a credit card, you can also enter details of where you will be staying in the US though you can do this later for example if you hadn't yet booked a hotel but as you will be staying with family, you should have this data to hand so should be able to complete all of the details. You do it online and it takes a few minutes.

If your GF has a Canadian passport, she does not need to do the ESTA stuff. You didn't say if she's Irish or Canadian.

Apply here...

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/esta.html

Do I need to apply for ESTA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Why did you have to go through the US Embassy the last time? You may have to do this again.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭TheJims

My GF is Irish also, sorry i didnt mention, I checked out that website and my ESTA application from my last trip is still valid so thats cool! we have just applied for my other half and everything seems good! Thanks for your help guys!

How long on average does it take for this info to be processed? and how long then does the esta last? might get a few trips out of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

TheJims wrote: »
    My GF is Irish also, sorry i didnt mention, I checked out that website and my ESTA application from my last trip is still valid so thats cool! we have just applied for my other half and everything seems good! Thanks for your help guys!

How long on average does it take for this info to be processed? and how long then does the esta last? might get a few trips out of it!

How long does it take to be processed? If your GF was approved then it's a done deal, you can show up in Vegas in the morning. If the decision was deferred then it can be for a number of reasons, you should hear back from them pretty soon.

ESTA approval lasts for two years or when the passport expires, whichever occurs first.

Advertisement