Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parental Leave - age limit of child

Options
  • 17-03-2014 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

My wife has applied to take parental leave during the month of August next in respect of our oldest child who turns 8 in April. She has been informed that as he will have turned 8 by August she is not entitled to the leave.

Has the age limit for parental leave not been extended to an upper age limit of 13 years. It would appear to be from the following links which I have found but Im not sure if these refer to all employees in the state or just to civil servants.

Any advice would be appreciated.

http://circulars.gov.ie/pdf/circular/finance/2010/13.pdf

http://debates.oireachtas.ie/dail/2011/09/22/00124.asp

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Gertrude2

I can find circuiars for Civil Service (13/2010), HSE (2/2011) and Education (21/2012) extending the age limit to age 13.

It's possible that this extension was negotiated separately in each area. Your wife should ask her union rep.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Reggie 365

That may be the case alright.

Could you possibly post a link to the HSE circular you've mentioned. I cant find it anywhere.

My wife is a social care worker for an organisation who receives their funding from the HSE so their circular may be more relevant to her case.

I'll pass on your advice in relation to making an enquiry with the union rep.

Thanks for your reply :)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Reggie 365

Oh I've just found the link to HSE 2/2011 which has the info you were referring to,

Thanks.

Advertisement