Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good, free Antivirus software

Options
  • 17-03-2014 11:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭

any recommendations?

for my Windows 8 PC.

Free would be brilliant, if not though, cheap.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithi1970

try AVG-the free version-easy to use and hassle free.

daithi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

daithi1970 wrote: »
    try AVG-the free version-easy to use and hassle free.

daithi

Nice one Daithi.

Will install it tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 dsaf

or avast

• Registered Users Posts: 25,451 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Isn't MS Security Essentials integrated into Win8?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

I use Avast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

coylemj wrote: »
    Isn't MS Security Essentials integrated into Win8?

It is and it's renamed back to Windows Defender

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭connorfleming

I use a combination of AVG Free and Malwarebytes, never had a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

I like Panda anti virus, I've never had a problem with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Recoil12

Avast Free with Malwarebytes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Avast is horrible and intrusive.

There are a few easy steps as with any free software to turn off notifications and pop-ups,a 1 minute job tops.

If you're talking about system resources I think you'll find AVG and much of the paid software use much more than avast,although it isn't the lightest but for the protection it offers I'm willing to let it use as much as it does.

Recoil12 wrote: »
    There are a few easy steps as with any free software to turn off notifications and pop-ups,a 1 minute job tops.

If you're talking about system resources I think you'll find AVG and much of the paid software use much more than avast,although it isn't the lightest but for the protection it offers I'm willing to let it use as much as it does.
    What I disliked was the browser integration and how it randomly blocked you from accessing sites it didn't like.

What I disliked was the browser integration and how it randomly blocked you from accessing sites it didn't like.

I can see how that may be annoying but I think for the majority of people this is a big plus as it prevents a possible infection from the website,there are on the blacklist for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Huawei Gallagher

AVG Free or Avast. But make sure you only have one of these installed at any one time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭barneysplash

I use Immunet.

Recoil12 wrote: »
    I can see how that may be annoying but I think for the majority of people this is a big plus as it prevents a possible infection from the website,there are on the blacklist for a reason.
    Not sure where they get their blacklist from but it seems to be overly enthusiastic. There are sites it blocked that I am 100% sure are legit. Seem to be the same blacklist that vodafone use which arbitrarily blocks anything with the words "hack", "jailbreak", "virus" or "security". Total balls I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bmay529

I have used avast for the past year on both a w7 and XP laptop without any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭breadbin

if, like me, you dont like an anti virus running in the background hogging memory and cpu cycles you can get a great standalone anti-virus called Clamwin

http://www.clamwin.com/

basically it is a standalone program that you run when you want to. i.e. download a file from the net and then scan it there and then. i hate the anti-virus software that run all the time. make using a pc a pain. there is an add-on product for this too that turns it into a sentinel type monitor but why you would want it is beyond me

i have been using clamwin for a year or so and i find its perfect for me. i have not had any bothers with viruses virii? since and i wouldnt be the safest of browsers. obviously you can do a full system scan of hard drives whenever you want too!

try it and see, its open source, tiny and very good. you'd swear i was getting paid to say this:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Harold Finch

breadbin wrote: »
    viruses virii?
    It's viruses.

I checked, cuz I'm a curious cat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Harold Finch

I use Immunet.
    I like the name.
    breadbin wrote: »
    if, like me, you dont like an anti virus running in the background hogging memory and cpu cycles you can get a great standalone anti-virus called Clamwin

i hate the anti-virus software that run all the time. make using a pc a pain.
    What spec computer have ya?

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭breadbin

well i have a decent enough gaming pc but my day to day thing is a crappy low end toshiba laptop. saying that it is dual core and has 4gb ram but it was noticeable when i was using Comodo antivirus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

I'm glad to see someone agrees with me, I know you can turn off some pop ups in settings but the worst thing I find about Avast is it's a resource hog, I find Panda extremely light on resources and a good free anti-virus, yes probably their is better ones out there but I just happen to like Panda.

Advertisement