Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

how much is your player membership?

• 18-03-2014 12:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

With the tiger dead and gone ... as a player i'm am still asked to pay 100 for membership to a dual club. I think it's a big ask nowadays to ask players to pay this much for membership especially when our adult players run their own fundraising 1-2 a year with no assistance whatsoever from the board, to rise cash for training gear, or buses if needed etc....

Some of my mates in other clubs are only paying 60-70 and at that they get replacement hurls if broken during matches, my 100 gets me nothing like that,
    I have to replace any broken hurls off my own back.

I'm just wondering what you pay for membership and are there any benefits included...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭zzfh

dual club,pay 50 quid,its small and the facilities are fairly bad.dont get any gear etc etc.but still it gets you insured,gym for the year,can usually manage get a lift to away games without fuss..

having said that its probably the cheapest membership of any clubs around i have heard of.the norm seems to be 70-100

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Our club here is €80, and we've just brought in a rate of €55 for unemployed/third level students which is quite reasonable. There are other clubs nearby with adult membership as high as €150 which is quite crazy.
    I can't understand how your committee isn't in charge of raising money for the entire club though, the days of raising for a solitary team were in the past I thought, particularly if it's a dual club you're involved in. Has your team got a players representative involved at committee level? If not maybe you should get someone involved at your next AGM and light a fire under the committee to get their fingers out!

But as for membership 70-100 would be the norm that I see in my area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭krazyklown

150 euro for membership for a dual Dublin club (even though i only play hurling). Playing with second team, no replacement hurls or gear (and i don't expect it either to be honest). I take it on trust that the club needs the money so have never questioned it. At home membership was around 90 euro for an exclusive hurling club in the country. It is alot of money, no question about it, but so is running a club. If you look at the time officers spend working for the club for nothing, whereas we get the enjoyment of actually playing then we are still getting the better side of the bargain imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Necrominus wrote: »
    Our club here is €80, and we've just brought in a rate of €55 for unemployed/third level students which is quite reasonable. There are other clubs nearby with adult membership as high as €150 which is quite crazy.
    I can't understand how your committee isn't in charge of raising money for the entire club though, the days of raising for a solitary team were in the past I thought, particularly if it's a dual club you're involved in. Has your team got a players representative involved at committee level? If not maybe you should get someone involved at your next AGM and light a fire under the committee to get their fingers out!

But as for membership 70-100 would be the norm that I see in my area.

It is always the same people who get involved with local organisations to help out with organising and fund-raising.

It is always the same people who sit on the sidelines and don't get involved who complain about the lack of fundraising and the committee aren't doing enough.

Get involved yourself is my answer to anyone who complains about the cost of membership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Godge wrote: »
    It is always the same people who get involved with local organisations to help out with organising and fund-raising.

It is always the same people who sit on the sidelines and don't get involved who complain about the lack of fundraising and the committee aren't doing enough.

Get involved yourself is my answer to anyone who complains about the cost of membership.

Trust me, I know all about it. Smaller communities find it a lot easier I find. In our town we have soccer, GAA, rugby and athletics all pulling from same pool of people, it's very tough to raise money at times and membership is a key source of income. I'm personally involved on the committee and as much as I can with teams, fundraising etc. But finding volunteers is our hardest task by far because as you said, it's left to the same people year in year out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

We ( the players) take on our own fundraising tasks to elliviate the pressure from our committee, as we know they do their best to keep the place going, That way then just about all the adult players have to make a effort either in getting sponsorship or selling tickets, we find that it's much too easy for lads to go into hiding if the comitee are running something.

I only posed the topic to see what guys are paying around the country, as we pull in a good few grand for the club with no help from them and I don't think that lumping us with high membership is fair. If we didn't do a fair amopunt of work as players in gettign in money then I'd have no gripe here.....and would pay up no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

225 with access to the club gym. Dear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

No gear or replacement hurleys. No gym in the club either to benefit from and we don't hire buses.
    In any year I also sell over €1000 worth of club lotto tickets, €500-600 of county development draw tickets and in the last year took paft in a fight night that raised €11000 for the club. I am not complaining though as all players do this and the club is now in the financial position to build a large gym and four new dressing rooms without borrowing. We owe no money and have in the last ten years developed a second pitch, spent €120,000 on state of the art floodlighting and put in a floodlit walking/running track around the pitches, which is free for the whole community to use and is a great winter facility for all. We are also a small rural community and must realise that if we want the facilities we must pay for them as fairy godmothers (or benevolent property developers) do not exist in this day and age.

With all of the above taken into account I think €150 or an extra €50 is not worth complaining about as I get a lot of value from my money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Too many clubs living beyond their means

Spending too much on their marquee teams - trainers, gear et and the whole club has to pay for it through membership and fundraising

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭North Cork Star

30 Euro for Adults and 20 Euro for Juveniles and we still struggle to collect membership fees from club members.

Advertisement