Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flying with a baby.

Options
  • 18-03-2014 1:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭

Hope this the right place for this.

Just recently brought our 16 month old daughter on a transatlantic flight with United Airlines. We got the extra legroom seats at the front of the economy cabin and a basket type of thing that hooked onto the wall for her to sleep in.

All in all from check in to disembarkment it was a less than pleasant experience. Would have been a whole lot worse if she were not as easygoing and placid as she is. Staff were very unhelpful. Even with the extra legroom it was very cramped for all 3 of us and the person occupying the third seat in our row.

As we will be undertaking this journey again soon, I am just wondering if anyone can recommend other airlines??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Chocolate fiend

You were very lucky to get the basinette, most airlines don't give them to children over 6 months. When you say unhelpful what would you have liked them to do that they did not do? If you bought your daughter a seat then you would have the row of 3 to yourself that would make it more pleasant for everyone.

We have had our best flying experiences with Qantas and Emirates. We have never really had a bad long haul experience but, I have never really expected any different from the airline staff because we are flying with our child iykwim?

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭lollsangel

We found klm fairly good, we were given front seats in a section (22mths twins at the time flying with us) but believe me its not a totally comfortable experi anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I've flown Ryanair, Aer Lingus and Air France with my son. Aer lingus were by far and away the most baby friendly. The hostesses couldn't have been more helpful, plus the check-in staff did their best each time to get us in 3 seats with one free (space on the flight allowing).
    Considering the price of Air France flights, I found them awful. And CDG is atrocious with a small child.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭addob

My son has traveled transatlantic 4 times and he's under 2. The best travelling by far has been KLM and the very best airport with a child or infant is Amsterdam. They have a free baby lounge with cribs and change tables and a play area. There was no problem buying full fat milk (impossible to find in some airports) and on the flight the attendants are understanding and helpful for warming bottles and getting us additional room (they even relocated the third person in our row to give us more room).

The first Christmas I traveled on my own with him at 7 months and the staff could not have been more helpful. Aer Lingus wasn't as helpful.

That being said our next flight will be after our boy is 2 and I'm looking forward to no longer travelling with a 30lb baby on my lap! It's a lot less expensive but overnight flights are trying even when you don't have an infant with you!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

We have flown long haul (about as long haul as it gets) regularly with Little Kiwi since he was a small baby. I would be prepared to pay more to fly either Emirates or Qantas.

Anytime our flights were only partially full we have been able to change to an empty row. Most flights with these airlines we have ended up with four seats between the three of us. We have always been able to prebook seats with more legroom.

My advice with any airline though is ask, ask, ask. As soon as the doors shut have a good look around and if you see empty seats where you would be more comfortable ask if you can move there. Get in quick though because others will have the same idea (when you are travelling with a baby or little kid for around 35 hours you will ask for anything and not give a toss what other travellers think, I trust that if there are passengers with a greater need than us the airline staff will prioritise accordingly). If your flight is full though you are a bit stuffed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭addob

I agree with Kiwi however I ask as soon as I board, I find out which porter on the plane is in charge of or section, I make nice and simply ask 'is the flight full' they know what you're asking and have always been accommodating if the plane isn't full!

Advertisement