Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dilemma - (not my) sick cat

• 18-03-2014 4:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Im just looking for opinions what to do in this situation.

There's this very friendly "stray" cat that drops in to us every now and then. He's never been in the best condition, with scabs behind his ears and often seems to have a bad cold.

About 3 weeks ago i noticed that he had a bad limp and then didn't see him for a while so presumed his owners had him fixed up and were keeping him in until he healed. Obviously i was very wrong!

I saw him last night and his leg is really badly infected at this stage, turning grey/white and he's obviously in a lot of pain. I kept him in with the intention of taking him to the vet in the morning but....

Do i take him to the vet or not? If he does have an owner they clearly don't give a sh*t otherwise they wouldve taken him already but i feel awful looking at him in such a state and doing nothing about it.
    I've asked all the neighbours if they know who owns him and the closest i got is that he's from "somewhere in an estate across the main road..."

Its not the cost im worried about (even tho i could do without having to shell out what'll prob be the guts of a hundred yo yo's) but im just wondering about the fact that if he does belong to someone would it be very bad form to take their cat to the vet?!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭OttoPilot

I don't know a decent pet owner who wouldn't take their pet to the vet by that stage so it seems as if he doesn't have an owner, or they care so little about him that they won't bother looking (and presumably won't spend money on him). Your options as I see them are:

1) Do nothing, let him keep wandering around until this thing kills him in a few weeks/months.

2) Take him to the vet and pay to have him fixed and keep him yourself

3) Take him to the vet, pay to have him fixed and let him go as a stray

4) Take him to the vet and have him put down

Personally, I think there's enough strays out there so if you're not keeping him I'd be having him put down, unless you don't wanna spend the money which is fair enough. He could infect young kids or other pets of yours though too so be careful around him

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭encore1

OttoPilot wrote: »
    I don't know a decent pet owner who wouldn't take their pet to the vet by that stage so it seems as if he doesn't have an owner, or they care so little about him that they won't bother looking (and presumably won't spend money on him). Your options as I see them are:

1) Do nothing, let him keep wandering around until this thing kills him in a few weeks/months.

2) Take him to the vet and pay to have him fixed and keep him yourself

3) Take him to the vet, pay to have him fixed and let him go as a stray

4) Take him to the vet and have him put down

Personally, I think there's enough strays out there so if you're not keeping him I'd be having him put down, unless you don't wanna spend the money which is fair enough. He could infect young kids or other pets of yours though too so be careful around him

But that's just it! Im not 100% sure that he is a stray! He seems far too friendly to be a stray and whenever he "visits" us he always makes a beeline for a bed so he knows his comforts!

I just can't understand how, if he does belong to someone that they'd leave him in so much pain. His leg is that bad that i wouldn't be surprised if the bottom half of it needs to be amputated...and then he'll show up at 'his home' in a few days time, minus half a leg and the owners will be going "eh....?!!!"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

encore1 wrote: »
    But that's just it! Im not 100% sure that he is a stray! He seems far too friendly to be a stray and whenever he "visits" us he always makes a beeline for a bed so he knows his comforts!

I just can't understand how, if he does belong to someone that they'd leave him in so much pain. His leg is that bad that i wouldn't be surprised if the bottom half of it needs to be amputated...and then he'll show up at 'his home' in a few days time, minus half a leg and the owners will be going "eh....?!!!"
    Honestly do you really want to return him to a home that don't care enough about him to even deal with his leg over several weeks time getting worse?

Secondly there's this notion that cats can be let go and they'll take care of themselves as predators after being indoor/house cats which is complete bs but people let their cats out and think they'll "be grand". So if you do take him to the vet seeing how he'll need to be indoor (daily antibiotic pills if nothing else) I'd set up lost & found posters about him and if no one comes forth keep him (assuming you're willing to keep him).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Take him to the vet and notify a cat rescue if you can't keep him. No owner would let his pet suffer like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Rachiee

Id bring him to the vet and then keep him. if he has owners they obviously don't care about him to leave his leg get that bad. The other thing that could have happened is that he was a loved pet but has gotten lost and become stray but he could be a long way from home if that's the case.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 14,257 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Do you want to keep him?
    If not then ring a local shelter who might be able to take him.
    If you do, then take him in, bring him to the vet and keep him. It sounds like he's a stray with no home. Maybe many people, like you, are occassionally feeding him and looking after him, but he's of "no fixed abode" as such.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

encore1, just help the cat if you can, even if you can't keep him. It might be simple matter of an antibiotic injection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

From what I have read the cat may as well be a stray with the way it is being treated. You sound like a thoughtful and kind person and really think that anyone reading this would not consider you a "cat-napper" for looking out for the welfare of an animal.

The people that own the cat don't deserve it. You on the other hand seem like a worthy cat guardian. :-)

He has an appointment with the vet i use for my own cats at 10 this morning!

Getting him into the cat box should be good fun lol!

So..he has a really bad infection in his leg and cat flu, ear mites, fleas and scabs all over him. Vet gave him antibiotics and anti inflamms and de-flead him but told me not to keep him in the house in case he infects my own cats.

The shed has no windows so can't keep him in there and the animal shelter won't take him cos they're full!!!

So i had to let him go but hopefully the jabs will ease the leg a bit and sure i can keep an eye on him and if he's not improving in a few days i can try and get him back to the vet.

I feel bad that i can't do more but i just can't put my own cats in danger of catching god knows what off him.

Thanks for all the replies!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭TrishSimon

Im just looking for opinions what to do in this situation.

There's this very friendly "stray" cat that drops in to us every now and then. He's never been in the best condition, with scabs behind his ears and often seems to have a bad cold.

About 3 weeks ago i noticed that he had a bad limp and then didn't see him for a while so presumed his owners had him fixed up and were keeping him in until he healed. Obviously i was very wrong!

I saw him last night and his leg is really badly infected at this stage, turning grey/white and he's obviously in a lot of pain. I kept him in with the intention of taking him to the vet in the morning but....

Do i take him to the vet or not? If he does have an owner they clearly don't give a sh*t otherwise they wouldve taken him already but i feel awful looking at him in such a state and doing nothing about it.
    I've asked all the neighbours if they know who owns him and the closest i got is that he's from "somewhere in an estate across the main road..."

Its not the cost im worried about (even tho i could do without having to shell out what'll prob be the guts of a hundred yo yo's) but im just wondering about the fact that if he does belong to someone would it be very bad form to take their cat to the vet?!

I have a stray in my garden in the exact same position although he doesnt sound to be as bad as this one, I took the one I had to the vets and got some very strong antibiotics and his flu cleared up he also had a bad limp and scabs etc but I have cleaned him up I feed him and made him a den in my shed and he is happy enough in there, if you can bring him to the vets please do explain it is a stray and ask for a discount then contact one of the following for help: <snip>, <snip> or your local spca if Dublin dont contact <snip>

TrishSimon wrote: »
    I have a stray in my garden in the exact same position although he doesnt sound to be as bad as this one, I took the one I had to the vets and got some very strong antibiotics and his flu cleared up he also had a bad limp and scabs etc but I have cleaned him up I feed him and made him a den in my shed and he is happy enough in there, if you can bring him to the vets please do explain it is a stray and ask for a discount then contact one of the following for help:<snip>.

I told them he was a stray but they still charged me full whack!
    Where abouts are you ? Wouldn't it be gas if we had the same cat?!!
    Im in Kerry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭TrishSimon

Im in Kerry

I'm in Dublin so not the same cat I'm afraid, why dont you contact <snip> for help in rehoming they have a premises down there or else Cork Animal Welfare group.
    <snip>

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Im in Kerry
    Discounts are not mandatory; it's simply that some vets give them because they know how strained rescue organizations are in general and give them more broadly to help animals in need.

Nody wrote: »
    Discounts are not mandatory; it's simply that some vets give them because they know how strained rescue organizations are in general and give them more broadly to help animals in need.

Oh i know that. God i wouldn't expect it, to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Split

Hey I have messaged you their . Let me know if you dont get any joy and I'll see what I can do . Cant bear to think of this little lad / lass ? outside

Advertisement