Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diesel problems in <SNIP> Maynooth

Options
  • 18-03-2014 4:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone else has had problems with fuel from the <SNIP> in Maynooth.

I've always used the Maxol, but it's shut for refurbishment.

Anyhow, went to the <SNIP> as I was near fumes in the tank. My range read 100km, which is nothing. I pulled into the <SNIP> and put €10 in. Paid, got no receipt, and headed for the motorway.

After putting in €10 the range should have jumped to 230km (I'm always putting this amount in so know what it should read) but to my horror the range still read 100km and I'm on the motorway! I was heading for Kilcock and before I reached the slip road my diesel light came on! I went to the <SNIP> in Kilcock and put €20 in and range jumped to 430km!

So did I just pay €10 for air to go into my car? It's a 2010 Renault Fluence and I've never seen this before. I went back to the <SNIP> Maynooth, but I might as well have talked to the cat!

So has anyone else experienced this? I don't think I'll be using that garage again!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

I know it looks like no fuel went in but trip computers are notoriously unreliable in the way they work.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,059 ✭✭✭✭L1011

A trip computer has absolutely no way of estimating fuel quality. You likely ran on to the reserve tank before putting the 6l or so that a tenner buys in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

What exactly did you say to them in the <SNIP> garage. They might have thought you were barking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭skelligs

€10 normally gets you from 100km to 230km, about 130km, but the €20 you put in at kilcock about 15km away brought you from 90km (taking away the 10km travelled) to 430km.

So you are saying that one station in maynooth is serving no measures and another station 10 minutes away is serving 50% extra on all sales.

Possibly, just possibly, the guage for some reason did not re-set after the first fill.

In case you don't understand what i am saying, here's a simple math

Normally €10 = 130km = just over 7.5c per km

Then in kilcock station €20 suddenly equals 340km (430 + 10km distance travelled from maynooth, less 100km that was in your tank in maynooth), price per km = just over 5.5c.

Must be super fuel they are serving in Maynooth or calculate the combined transaction

€30 fuel = 340km - close enough.

But sure always blame a garage or business and run to a public forum to blame them too without any proof - it can never ever be something wrong with the vehicle or you could never ever make an error or do basic calculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

skelligs wrote: »
    €10 normally gets you from 100km to 230km, about 130km, but the €20 you put in at kilcock about 15km away brought you from 90km (taking away the 10km travelled) to 430km.

So you are saying that one station in maynooth is serving no measures and another station 10 minutes away is serving 50% extra on all sales.

Possibly, just possibly, the guage for some reason did not re-set after the first fill.

Then in kilcock station €20 suddenly equals 340km (430 + 10km distance travelled from maynooth, less 100km that was in your tank in maynooth), price per km = just over 5.5c.

Must be super fuel they are serving in Maynooth or calculate the combined transaction

But sure always blame a garage or business and run to a public forum to blame them too without any proof - it can never ever be something wrong with the vehicle or you could never ever make an error or do basic calculation.

in fairness the op was only enquiring about a station and trying to understand the deficit in the fuel tank. you having a bad day already?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

It might not be a good idea to be putting so little into the tank each time anyway, certainly if you have a Citroen or Peugeot as they add a dose of "eloy" fluid from a small tank every time the fuel cap is opened.

(Edit.. Just noticed you have a Renault, might not be an issue)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Ails76

But sure always blame a garage or business and run to a public forum to blame them too without any proof - it can never ever be something wrong with the vehicle or you could never evero make an error or do basic calculation.

But when my fuel light came on the range went to zero

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Ails76 wrote: »
    But when my fuel light came on the range went to zero

Renaults do that. From 60 or 70 km it doesnt count down anymore and stops giving a range. Presumably to stop people driving it to the very last drop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Yes but how did €20 then take it all the way to a range of 430? You obviously had a total of €30 worth!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

I know it looks like no fuel went in but trip computers are notoriously unreliable in the way they work.

My thoughts too, but I've the car from new and this has never happened before. I once put €5 in and it registered that. The trip computer has been so reliable up until this. I'll never know.... Thanks for the input :)

MYOB wrote: »
    A trip computer has absolutely no way of estimating fuel quality. You likely ran on to the reserve tank before putting the 6l or so that a tenner buys in.

True but I know my car and its not the first time to put €10 fuel in while near empty. And it has always registered, this is the first time its hasn't registered fuel being put in. What do I believe.....the pump telling me it put a tenner in or my car which says no it didn't!

What exactly did you say to them in the <SNIP> garage. They might have thought you were barking.

Small talk about the weather really.....

But I know my car and when the fuel light came on the range went blank ie zero so you'll have to calculate again ;)

All I know is, I put €10 euros into my car expecting to see at least a little dent in the fuel amount being registered. Not drive out the same way I drove in!

I'll never know if it was the car at fault or the petrol station.

physioman wrote: »
    in fairness the op was only enquiring about a station and trying to understand the deficit in the fuel tank. you having a bad day already?

Thank you! Someone who understands what I'm asking!

It might not be a good idea to be putting so little into the tank each time anyway, certainly if you have a Citroen or Peugeot as they add a dose of "eloy" fluid from a small tank every time the fuel cap is opened.

(Edit.. Just noticed you have a Renault, might not be an issue)

Actually its been a very reliable car in the 4 years I've owned it. Better then the VW Passat that broke my heart! Worst car ever!

Renaults do that. From 60 or 70 km it doesnt count down anymore and stops giving a range. Presumably to stop people driving it to the very last drop.

I know it does it as I've the car 4 year but this is the first time it hadn't registered fuel going into the tank. Sometimes can't help running low...filling the tank is not a luxury I can afford anymore which is why losing €10 is gutting.

Yes but how did €20 then take it all the way to a range of 430? You obviously had a total of €30 worth!

A full tank which is about €70 registers a range of 1200km. So €35 would register about 600km so €20 at 400 is about right.

ACH now! You said you had 100 and the tenner should have taken it to 230. That is 130 for a tenner. 260 for twenty. 390 for 30. Plus the 100, less distance travelled. You're all over the place with your figures. 70 gives you 1200 yet a tenner gives 130? That's some mileage at 1200km for 46 litres. I have a one year old car that would get 950-970 km for that spend.

True but I know my car and its not the first time to put €10 fuel in while near empty. And it has always registered, this is the first time its hasn't registered fuel being put in. What do I believe.....the pump telling me it put a tenner in or my car which says no it didn't!

The pump.

• Advertisement

You still have not addressed the fact that the next 20 brought it to a range of 430. You clearly got the tenners worth of fuel!

But if all went right and the car registered the first €10 then the car would have a range of 230 - I know, as I do this all the time. So if instead of a €10, I put €20 in at Maynooth then I would have expected a range of around 400+. €30 I'd expect a range of 500+.

But back to my original post, my car which in 4 years has never recorded a fuel error. Now, suddenly, doesn't register fuel put in at Maynooth, but does register fuel put in Kilcock. It leaves me wondering did I get the diesel I paid for in Maynooth? Has this happened to anyone else? Or for the first time my car just didn't register the fuel put in. I will never know.

But I'll be cautious about using them again. I'll think I'll stay clear and stick to Tesco till the Maxol opens again.

Your figures simply do not add up.

ACH now! You said you had 100 and the tenner should have taken it to 230. That is 130 for a tenner. 260 for twenty. 390 for 30. Plus the 100, less distance travelled. You're all over the place with your figures. 70 gives you 1200 yet a tenner gives 130? That's some mileage at 1200km for 46 litres. I have a one year old car that would get 950-970 km for that spend.

Whatever the figures the fact is the car did not register a drop of fuel! Zero, nothing, as far as the car was concerned nothing went into the tank.

But if all went right and the car registered the first €10 then the car would have a range of 230 - I know, as I do this all the time. So if instead of a €10, I put €20 in at Maynooth then I would have expected a range of around 400+. €30 I'd expect a range of 500+.

But back to my original post, my car which in 4 years has never recorded a fuel error. Now, suddenly, doesn't register fuel put in at Maynooth, but does register fuel put in Kilcock. It leaves me wondering did I get the diesel I paid for in Maynooth? Has this happened to anyone else? Or for the first time my car just didn't register the fuel put in. I will never know.

But I'll be cautious about using them again. I'll think I'll stay clear and stick to Tesco till the Maxol opens again.

You're still ignoring the fact that you said you had 100 left when putting the tenner in! It goes up by 130 for the first tenner but 200 for the next tenner and back to 100 for the third? This does not make sense and suggests the milage estimate has always been wonky.

Whatever the figures the fact is the car did not register a drop of fuel! Zero, nothing, as far as the car was concerned nothing went into the tank.

A range estimate is NOT a fuel level indicator. Does your car not actually have a fuel level indicator or have you become reliant on the estimate for other reasons?

Hard acceleration will cause a range estimate to drop rapidly, particularly noticeable if low on fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Odelay

Did you have the ignition on when filling? I did it once and the light was still on after pumping in 60 liters. Had to throw in another few liters the next day (with the ignition off) to clear the light and get the correct tank range.

Your figures simply do not add up.

Why is everyone hung up on figures, you are all missing the point, they mean nothing and change dramatically depending on how the car is driven. If I drive aggressively the figure drops and if driven sensibly the figure increases - its only a guide, not gospel.

But it gives me a measure of what is in my tank. 100km means near empty and doesn't mean I have 100km, it means I have zero and I better fill up. So when I put diesel in I expect to see at least a increase in range no matter if it's 2 or 1000 - it still needs to increase which it didn't!! It registered no fuel in the tank!! I trust my car, it's been extremely reliable, so why should I call it a liar now. If my car says no fuel went in, then I believe my car, it hurts to think I paid a tenner for nothing!

But it's blatantly obvious that you can't trust your car. The milage estimate alone leaves a lot to be desired based on your own figures. I have no doubt you got the tenner's worth of fuel.

Odelay wrote: »
    Did you have the ignition on when filling? I did it once and the light was still on after pumping in 60 liters. Had to throw in another few liters the next day (with the ignition off) to clear the light and get the correct tank range.

that crossed my mind too but the engine was off, its a start/stop button yolky. I asked my sister as she was in the car and she said it was off as she was unable to open the windows and she complained the car locked when I walked away.

It's a mystery and is driving me nuts! If it hasn't happened to anyone else then I need to look at the car.

• Advertisement

A range estimate is NOT a fuel level indicator. Does your car not actually have a fuel level indicator or have you become reliant on the estimate for other reasons?

Hard acceleration will cause a range estimate to drop rapidly, particularly noticeable if low on fuel.

The level is a digital readout which is vague to say the least. I go by the range which gives me better insight into my fuel and a pity I didn't notice the range before leaving the station. Only noticed down the road as I turned onto the motorway......a few hundred metres from the petrol station, it was too late to turn around.

Advertisement