Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Re: Accommodation in London, has anyone stayed at the Guoman Hotel Charring Cross?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,626 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Application gone in, hopefully get good news in 15 days. First marathon major if I get in

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

robinph wrote: »
    I'll give you one guess.

Not cheap!!!:eek:
    Great location though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Sosa wrote: »
    Nothing like leaving it to the wire. Only sending off my stuff tomorrow.

You'll have good company on The sub 3 train by the looks of it..... A lot of ex pats

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

RubyK wrote: »
    Re: Accommodation in London, has anyone stayed at the Guoman Hotel Charring Cross?

I was there for a seminar, very plush place, almost felt like i didn't belong there if you get me. Full of toffs tbh. Location wise its probably the only hotel that trumps The Strand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

Is it madness to stay near the start and get public transport to back at the end. Can't justify those prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

rom wrote: »
    Is it madness to stay near the start and get public transport to back at the end. Can't justify those prices.

We stayed in Chelsea this year.
    The hotel was great but it just felt like we spent an awful lot of time on public transport all weekend. Even things like carrying our rucksacks around the city on the Monday because of the time required to go back out to the hotel to collect them before getting to the airport. We were travelling light so it wasn't too bad but still a bit of hasstle. Also the extra money you'll spend on your Oyster card would bridge some of the extra hotel cost.

neilc wrote: »
    We stayed in Chelsea this year.
    The hotel was great but it just felt like we spent an awful lot of time on public transport all weekend. Even things like carrying our rucksacks around the city on the Monday because of the time required to go back out to the hotel to collect them before getting to the airport. We were travelling light so it wasn't too bad but still a bit of hasstle. Also the extra money you'll spend on your Oyster card would bridge some of the extra hotel cost.

Its like 220 pounds a night a room. That for 3 nights is a lot. I will be in Spain for a wedding two weeks before that. Looking for a cheap hotel that ain't too bad. Anyone had any luck or suggestions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭AK333

rom wrote: »
    Its like 220 pounds a night a room. That for 3 nights is a lot. I will be in Spain for a wedding two weeks before that. Looking for a cheap hotel that ain't too bad. Anyone had any luck or suggestions.

I'm looking for something myself. Just checked Tripadvisor - they quoted in Euro €170 for Charing Cross Hotel per night for a double. Don't know what the hotel is like but the location is okay

It might pay to go through all of them tripadvisor/bookers.com/trivago (though that was 200 per night), etc

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Trains and underground will get you to the start / from the finish line with ease.

I stayed in Baywater in 2013.

• Advertisement

Trains and underground will get you to the start / from the finish line with ease.

I stayed in Baywater in 2013.

Yeah I am looking at staying at the start instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭ainsyjnr

I stayed in the britannia in canary wharf for about 100 quid and the dlr to Lewisham then train to Blackheath at 7.30 in the morning was no hassle. The hotel was in need of a refurb but great choice of pasta the night before... Treated myself to jamies Italian.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

I was there for a seminar, very plush place, almost felt like i didn't belong there if you get me. Full of toffs tbh. Location wise its probably the only hotel that trumps The Strand.

Thanks Brianderunner! It's working out a bit cheaper than the Strand, so think I might go with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Jmcmen

IN and paid for, Happy Days

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭colin32

I've a room boked at black friars €100 for the 1 night. hopefully I get in on the ballot

colin32 wrote: »
    I've a room boked at black friars €100 for the 1 night. hopefully I get in on the ballot

Got a link to the place ?

I jus used bookings.com. it's the ibis London blackfriars

Looking at the map on the website it's close to the underground

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

In fairness, so is just about everywhere relatively central. :pac:

In fairness, so is just about everywhere relatively central. :pac:

aren't you the funny one today :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

I jus used bookings.com. it's the ibis London blackfriars

That's right in the middle of the city. You can walk back from there after you finish. Handy location.

• Advertisement

That's right in the middle of the city. You can walk back from there after you finish. Handy location.

Walk lol I'll be crawling and that's at a push ha

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭wobblemouth

Got word yesterday that I'm in with the GFA entry. Paid up immediately before they changed their minds!

Can't wait.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

I'm in too.
    Happy Days

Sosa wrote: »
    I'm in too.
    Happy Days

The thursday LSR is going to be fairly hot over the winter!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭slingerz

so ye guys know ye are in for next year already??

kinda odd that they cant sort through the general application/ballots earlier in the time so people can prepare and start their training early. I know that if I got in i'd want to start my training around now for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Well they need to sort through the guaranteed entries (GFA/Championship/charities etc) to know how many places they can give out in the ballot. October still gives you 6 months, which for someone with decent running fitness should be more than enough time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

slingerz wrote: »
    so ye guys know ye are in for next year already??

kinda odd that they cant sort through the general application/ballots earlier in the time so people can prepare and start their training early. I know that if I got in i'd want to start my training around now for it!

Don't think anyone will be starting training for London for a while yet. Training? For sure, just not specifically for an April 2015 marathon. Most people (except Gavlor :p ) getting GFA/championship standards will generally train all year round and only start marathon training a few months out.

menoscemo wrote: »
    Don't think anyone will be starting training for London for a while yet. Training? For sure, just not specifically for an April 2015 marathon. Most people (except Gavlor :p ) getting GFA/championship standards will generally train all year round and only start marathon training a few months out.

Why waste all that training?! Best to just rock up a few months before and start training nice n fresh ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

They let the masses know about their place 6 months in advance, and around the time they would be doing their autumn marathons, and that is about right for people who are just trying to get round to then start thinking seriously about the marathon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,626 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Out of curiosity, did anyone try entering an irish address when they received their acceptance link? I submitted UK proof of residency initially, but now they're asking for Participant Data, including an address, and you can select Ireland as the country. Or would I be pushing my luck?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Advertisement