Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting experience in IT

Options
  • 18-03-2014 9:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭

How does one get experience for an IT role when no one will hire anyone without experience?

I'm working full time in the financial industry and wish to change careers to IT (not sure what area yet, most likely software development, but I love most areas) and I was looking into basic support roles to start me off. I will be happy to take a pay cut just to get on the ladder in support. But no one will hire unless you have 1-2 years support experience?

How is one supposed to get over this conundrum?

I am studying an IT degree in the evenings and all I can think of is quitting my job, going full time and doing the work placement they offer in 3rd year??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ifah

If you're serious about software development you should be building a portfolio of projects that you can use to showcase your talents.
    If it's desktop support - try doing support for friends / neighbours etc - almost every house in Ireland has at least one device that may need setting up, support etc.
    Otherwise - start volunteering at CoderDojo or other free sessions ..... it's all about making you stand out from other graduates / students when it comes to job application time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

If you want to do development work, having desktop support type experience doesn't hurt, but doesn't help a huge amount either. Infrastructure stuff and coding stuff are almost entirely different career paths.

Does your company have an in-house development team? You could possibly ask if you could transfer over to them, or possibly split your time between them and your current team.

Advertisement