Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United vs Olympiakos Match Thread 19/3/2014 k/o 19.45.

• 18-03-2014 10:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

il9lklk2.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

2-1 Utd , we'll be knocked out but Moyes will see a win as a win and keep his job another 3 days at least.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

the visitors will score but something tells me Utd will make up the difference and progress.

all depends but how much Olympiakos want this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

2-0 Utd and Kagawa to come off the bench in extra time to win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Olympiakos are a decent team, and United are in very poor form.

Olympiakos will play a bit more defensively but could still see them getting a goal at some stage, from the edge of the box.

1-0 win for the Greeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

There seem to be a few people that think United can turn up and put in a performance, seemingly ignoring the fact that not once this season has Moyes United turned up and put in a performance.

• Advertisement

My prediction for the post-match interview

Interviewer: "So what went wrong tonight, David?"
    Moyes: "I've no idea. Everything went really well in training, we were very hopeful of getting a draw, or even nicking a win. Not sure what went wrong. All we can do is keep trying and working hard, and hopefully we can get better results. I hope we can perform better."

There seem to be a few people that think United can turn up and put in a performance, seemingly ignoring the fact that not once this season has Moyes United turned up and put in a performance.
    Who said anything about putting in a performance? The aim is to beat the Greeks 2-0 or better. They have managed to beat quite a few teams this season by two clear goals despite not playing well. No reason why they can't do so again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭irishgoldberg

For some reason I had confidence before the debacle that happened on sunday. I cant see wed being much better but hopefully they can at least play with some pride and passion, something that hasnt been there much this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Well there was that game against Leverkusen.
    Still dont expect united to progress though. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Old Trafford largely empty by the 80th minute.

• Advertisement

Pighead wrote: »
    Who said anything about putting in a performance

We need to overturn a 2 goal deficit in the Champions league quarter final. Putting in a performance is kind of a pre-requisite.

We need to overturn a 2 goal deficit in the Champions league quarter final. Putting in a performance is kind of a pre-requisite.
    That makes no sense. Are you saying that Man Utd have performed well in the eight or nine games they've won by two goals this season? It's actually more likely that Utd will win 2-0 playing average than win 2-0 playing well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Wouldn't surprise me if Olympiakos won the match on the night never mind the tie. That united team are a shambles.

It's actually more likely that Utd will win 2-0 playing average than win 2-0 playing well.

Now who is making no sense?

United have struggled to get past the likes of Fulham and West Brom, Sunderland and Crystal Palace, yet you seem to think they are going to be able to turn up and beat a good Olympiakos side in the quarter finals of the champions league.

Just like they were going to do the first leg, yeah? And thats my point, nothing we have seen this season suggests that United are going to be able to do this.

rob316 wrote: »
    Wouldn't surprise me if Olympiakos won the match on the night never mind the tie. That united team are a shambles.
    5 or 6/1 in the bookies. Knock yourself out.

5 or 6/1 in the bookies. Knock yourself out.

Think I will thanks!

Now who is making no sense?

United have struggled to get past the likes of Fulham and West Brom, Sunderland and Crystal Palace, yet you seem to think they are going to be able to turn up and beat a good Olympiakos side in the quarter finals of the champions league.

Just like they were going to do the first leg, yeah? And thats my point, nothing we have seen this season suggests that United are going to be able to do this.
    United beat Crystal Palace (x2), West Brom, Cardiff City, Swansea (X2), West Ham Stoke, Villa, Bayer Leverkuson (x2), Fulham, Norwich and Wigan by two or more goals this season. They played well in maybe three of those fourteen games.

There have been loads of games this season where Utd haven't put in a performance and won by 2 or more goals. You mentioning Palace only weakens your argument as Utd beat them twice by two goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Have seen absolutely nothing this season to suggest that United can pull this off. Particularly since the performances have been getting worse rather than better as the weeks go on. I think it will be a soul destroying 1-1 draw

United beat Crystal Palace (x2), West Brom, Cardiff City, Swansea (X2), West Ham Stoke, Villa, Bayer Leverkuson (x2), Fulham, Norwich and Wigan by two or more goals this season. They played well in maybe three of those fourteen games.

There have been loads of games this season where Utd haven't put in a performance and won by 2 or more goals. You mentioning Palace only weakens your argument as Utd beat them twice by two goals.

You still don't get it, and like many you are underestimating this Olympiakos side. Just because United were able to beat relegation fodder like Palace by 2 goals does not mean they are going to do the same in a champions league game. Just because they were able to score 2 goals while still playing utterly ****e against the likes of Cardiff and Villa does not mean it will happen tomorrow.

To progress past Olympiakos United are actually going to have to show up and perform, the polar opposite of what happened on Sunday and something that hasn't happened once all season, regardless of whether they were able to score 2 goals against Aston Villa.

You still don't get it, and like many you are underestimating this Olympiakos side. Just because United were able to beat relegation fodder like Palace by 2 goals does not mean they are going to do the same in a champions league game. Just because they were able to score 2 goals while still playing utterly ****e against the likes of Cardiff and Villa does not mean it will happen tomorrow.

To progress past Olympiakos United are actually going to have to show up and perform, the polar opposite of what happened on Sunday and something that hasn't happened once all season, regardless of whether they were able to score 2 goals against Aston Villa.
    Ok, we disagree on how good Olympiakos actually are it seems. I think they are an average outfit at best and the 2-0 victory in the first leg was the exception rather than the norm. I will not be one bit surprised if Utd win by two goals tomorrow evening. You, it seems, will be shocked.

• Advertisement

If united think they can just turn up and grind out a win they are screwed. The performance of the season is needed on Wednesday night, Olympiakos will have every belief they can beat united and qualify, and united have showed little to counter that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

Utd can't approach this game with what seems to be Moyes default position : "Make ourselves hard to beat - don't lose" ... you're already losing 2-0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

1-1.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

1-1.

really.

you've been pretty spot on recently :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

3-1 with Moyes scoring an OG in extra time while trying to bring on Lindegaard for van Persie... Two keepers in the one goal. Genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

It’s a big game and will be be a big indication of how the players feel about Moyes I think. If they fight and play hard then he still has their support. If the performance is wishy washy he’s done.

For the posters who think that Olympiakos are a very average outift, what is this based on?

Let's ignore the first leg, where they were unlucky to only win 2-0

They lost 1-2 away to PSG in Paris, a result that would see them through (Clue: PSG are much much better than United)

They won and drew v Benfica. Can we accept they are a better side than Benfica? Benfica wiped the floor with Spurs the other night, Spurs beat United at Old Trafford recently.

They are reigning Greek champions. Even if you go back to last season, Olympiakos still beat Arsenal.

I genuinely don't think they are comparable to Crystal Palace, Cardiff or other relegation threatened English teams.
    They are set to advance to the quarter final of the Champions League, something Man City, Arsenal and in all probability Man United could not achieve.

Do you think Crystal Palace or Cardiff would be in the later stages of the Champions League, had they qualified?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Fishyfreak

Can't see anything other than a United win, despite the weekend shambles.

Having said that, i'm not convinced that we will progress.

I heard Mata isn't going to start, must be trouble in the camp ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭masti123

Going over to Old Trafford for the first time for this match. Hopefully we can get a good result

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

As a Man United fan I want nothing more than to see them go through.

However I also don't want to see us being humiliated in the next round :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

Fishyfreak wrote: »
    Can't see anything other than a United win, despite the weekend shambles.

Having said that, i'm not convinced that we will progress.

I heard Mata isn't going to start, must be trouble in the camp ;)

is mata not playing??:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I have to admit.I lol'd

manunited.jpg

Agueroooo wrote: »
    really.

you've been pretty spot on recently :eek:

Ya I think that.

If I had a gun to my head this would be the call. I think we might sneak a win, but I can't see it being more then a goal victory which will knock us out.

Hope I'm wrong and we win 3-0, but I don't think too many really believe we can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Liverpool in the League Cup, at home to Arsenal in the league, away to Swansea, two games against Leverkusen, away to West Brom, away to Crystal Palace off the top of my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

Flights and accommodation Booked. Debating whether to go now after the weekend

• Advertisement

Flights and accommodation Booked. Debating whether to go now after the weekend

Go!!!

Get behind the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

Go!!!

Get behind the team.

I know. Am finding it increasingly more difficult to get up for this game. Am not expecting anything. The football this season has been utter dross.

For the posters who think that Olympiakos are a very average outift, what is this based on?

Let's ignore the first leg, where they were unlucky to only win 2-0

They lost 1-2 away to PSG in Paris, a result that would see them through (Clue: PSG are much much better than United)

They won and drew v Benfica. Can we accept they are a better side than Benfica? Benfica wiped the floor with Spurs the other night, Spurs beat United at Old Trafford recently.

They are reigning Greek champions. Even if you go back to last season, Olympiakos still beat Arsenal.

I genuinely don't think they are comparable to Crystal Palace, Cardiff or other relegation threatened English teams.
    They are set to advance to the quarter final of the Champions League, something Man City, Arsenal and in all probability Man United could not achieve.

Do you think Crystal Palace or Cardiff would be in the later stages of the Champions League, had they qualified?
    You've cherry picked all the good points about them and ignored the bad. They didn't deserve to beat Utd by more than 2-0 in the first leg. They created **** all and scored one wonder goal and a lucky one. Van Persie missed an absolute sitter to make it 2-1.

Last year they lost to Schalke twice and Levante twice in Europe. They sold their best striker to Fulham which indicates he wasn't a top level striker. They've lost two of their last three games domestically. Plenty of chinks in the mighty Olympiakos' armour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

I know. Am finding it increasingly more difficult to get up for this game. Am not expecting anything. The football this season has been utter dross.

you should always go support the team regardless of how bad they are at the moment

very easy to support a winning team

but this is the stuff i was talking about earlier. uniteds biggest fear right now is fans will lose interest in the team

a good deal of their fans are under the age of 30. they arent use to seeing united lose. meaning that they could easily lose interest meaning uniteds biggest asset will no longer bring in sponsorship

united are going through a rough patch. it was always going to be like this after fergie. they will recover. just stick with them.

Last year they lost to Schalke twice and Levante twice in Europe. They sold their best striker to Fulham which indicates he wasn't a top level striker. They've lost two of their last three games domestically. Plenty of chinks in the mighty Olympiakos' armour.

Last year Man United were English champions and I would have expected them to beat Olympiakos if they had played each other.

This year Olympiakos have improved and Man united have disimproved

• Advertisement

thelad95 wrote: »
    Liverpool in the League Cup, at home to Arsenal in the league, away to Swansea, two games against Leverkusen, away to West Brom, away to Crystal Palace off the top of my head.

Clutching at straws big style there. You have just listed results that United did indeed achieve, but they were not necessarily on the back of great performances. Home to Arsenal? We were dire that day, luckily Arsenal were worse. Away to Swansea on the opening day? Again, we were very poor, a complete smash and grab that scoreline. The Leverkusen games? They didn't show up at all.

My point still stands. Not once this season has United played a match where a supporter could point and say "Now thats the United we know and love". And if they couldn't raise themselves for Liverpool at Old Trafford, I doubt they can do it for Olympiakos.

Last year Man United were English champions and I would have expected them to beat Olympiakos if they had played each other.

This year Olympiakos have improved and Man united have disimproved
    Man Utd are playing at home tomorrow evening. The bookies have them favourites to win the match because despite everything that has been going on they have a better team than the Greeks and should have enough to beat them. Olympiakos have a terrible record playing away against English teams.

Now the problem is they have to win by at least 2-0 to stay in the comp. That is by no means straightforward as they are walking the tightrope of a conceded goal meaning big trouble. However I believe 2-0 is achievable and a win in extra time will see Utd through.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

1-1. United get a goal early and press with no cutting edge.

Olympiakos equalise around the 75th minute.

Moyes throws Cleverly and Valencia on to try rescue things to no avail.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Tom Cleverly should have been a rugby player , at least you'd know he'd never give away a peno because of a forward pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

I'm with Kew.. think it'll be 1-1. Hoping we get a performance from out of the blue but have a feeling we'll get caught on the counter when pushing for a second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Yes, that's exactly how football works.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

My money is definatley on United to qualify, as **** as 2 nil was United well have the beaten of these guys and at home, I'd take united -2.

I also think there will be a reaction from the United players to the Liverpool defeat which for them regardless of Moyes was embaressing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Hard to know here but I think they can do it.

v3ttel wrote: »
    Yes, that's exactly how football works.

Similarly it's not so simple as saying they're a Greek team, so surely United will beat them easily. Not football works.

I was just wondering why people were posting about them as though being able to beat Crystal Palace is somehow relevant,
    Whereas bad defeats to Olympiakos or Liverpool were forgotten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Worth pointing out they won the league at the weekend, they were coasting to victory (the losses were against POAK and Panathinaikos who are 3rd/4th in league) and can now throw everything at the Utd game.

• Advertisement
Advertisement