Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United vs Olympiakos Match Thread 19/3/2014 k/o 19.45.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Some of the posts here are embarrassing for me as a fellow Liverpool fan.

You would swear United fans have no reason to be in any way happy whatsoever with anything their team does the way some people are going on in here.

Nail on the head, seems Liverpool supporters have the "how dare they be happy when we're ahead in the league" attitude.

At the end of the day we're in a champions league quarter final.

It's surprisingly satisfying bitterness. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Now, who will give us the least hiding in the quarters?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Nothing would make me happier than us doing a Chelsea and poxing the CL, Pool finishing 4th and the ensuing hilarity. Too much to ask unfortunately but at least we have something to look forward to. Can't see us getting past the next round but you never know!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

By the way I am city fan.
    I cannot wait when Messi or Ronaldo or Ribery rapes yer defence and keep scoring continuesly.
    It will be a classic comedy.
    If you united fans cannot wait that long. Stay tuned at 7pm Tuesday to watch a classic comedy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Nothing would make me happier than us doing a Chelsea and poxing the CL, Pool finishing 4th and the ensuing hilarity. Too much to ask unfortunately but at least we have something to look forward to. Can't see us getting past the next round but you never know!

When is the draw for the next round?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

When is the draw for the next round?

Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

In fairness for a 41 year old. Ryan Giggs was exceptional tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Benteke

Looks like Kenny C. is on crack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I cannot wait when Messi or Ronaldo or Ribery rapes yer defence and keep scoring continuesly.
    If you united fans cannot wait that long. Stay tuned at 7pm Tuesday to watch a classic comedy.

if city can even play at 50% of what they are capable of,united are going to get a terrible hiding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

Referee blew early too.
    nuxxx wrote: »
    Ref blew it up abit early there!
    the_monkey wrote: »
    Funny the way the ref didn't give the full 5 minutes - but when united need the time 5 mins becomes about 7 ..

Didn't care whether or not United went through but I thought it was a disgrace what the ref done at the end. He gave 5 mins and the ball wasn't in play at all during the first 50 odd seconds and then he went and blew it up 10-15 seconds early!

Bjorn Kuipers has proven himself several times to be a woeful referee and he done himself no favours again tonight. Shouldn't be let ref CL games.

Thought United were sluggish and were exposed far too easily at times but they showed good fight to come back from a difficult 1st leg deficit so credit where credit is due. RVP done the job and Rooney was very good tonight.

That being said, I'd expect them to be dumped out in the next round and a hammering could well be on the cards if they're drawn against any of the powerhouses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Think United could beat anyone in the draw to be honest.

They mentioned on RTE Moyes took a leaf from the Liverpool book with a bit mre pace in the team. and it workd!

Should be a great draw on Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

It must sicken you that a united team in disarray led by a 40 year old managed to go further than man city's superstars could in 2 attempts :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Benteke wrote: »

No different than the rest of the panel then.

I don't hate united. I just hate some of their fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

naughtb4 wrote: »

This years United wouldn't stand a chance against Barca, Real or Bayern.I think they'd have some sort of chance in any other draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

It must sicken you that a united team in disarray led by a 40 year old managed to go further than man city's superstars could in 2 attempts :p

you played an absolutely ****e team tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Ice up son. ICE UP

Yes against easy teams.
    Ye always get easy draws.
    I would love to see ye reach group stage with Bayern in ger group and Barca.

The other 7 teams in the draw are all hoping to get United

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,058 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

You'll also find united on the history channel lifting many many league titles, fa cups, champions leagues

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭secman

And will they let Mata play in the next match...... get him to grow a tache. ... might let him play...

They mentioned on RTE Moyes took a leaf from the Liverpool book with a bit mre pace in the team. and it workd!

Should be a great draw on Friday

PSG
    Real Madrid
    Chelsea
    Barcelona
    Atletico Madrid
    Dortmund
    Bayern

Seriously??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

He's actually speaking sense compared to the fella next to him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

He keeps some coke down below the desk. Bill said it in his book. Bill takes tea himself. Dunphy has a table with a vodka and coke and Giles has a whiskey. Brady takes a water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

RTE providing the entertainment as usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Johner wrote: »
    This years United wouldn't stand a chance against Barca, Real or Bayern.I think they'd have some sort of chance in any other draw.

Probably but Arsenal were running Bayern close in the first leg before the sending off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

I never knew Cunningham was such a good pundit, talking a lot of sense.

You'll also find united on the history channel lifting many many league titles, fa cups, champions leagues

You do know RVP and Neville sent their sons to city academy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 755 ✭✭✭sea_monkey

20 TIMES 20 TIMES MAN UNITED

• Advertisement

Degag wrote: »

He said something along the lines of build a team around Jones/Evans/Rafael etc

I think they're both talking out of their backside

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

United looked very exposed at times tonight but they did show good fight to come back after the first leg deficit. It could be embarrasing if they get any of the big teams though IMO.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Neeson wrote: »
    He keeps some coke down below the desk. Bill said it in his book. Bill takes tea himself. Dunphy has a table with a vodka and coke and Giles has a whiskey. Brady takes a water.

Can someone explain this running joke?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Degag wrote: »

In fairness a bag of spanners would speak more sense than Dunphy

sea_monkey wrote: »

Thats just sad. It's like LFC fans 5 times. 5 times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Tinie wrote: »
    Can someone explain this running joke?

It's in the book. Seriously. Well not the bit with Kenny having a coke!

• Advertisement

• Ryan Giggs, you legend.
    Van Persie Injury doesn't look good though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Yes against easy teams.
    Ye always get easy draws.
    I would love to see ye reach group stage with Bayern in ger group and Barca.

United got an easy draw because they topped the group and were top seeds. Last year they also won their group and got Real Madrid. Easy draw?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

I wouldn't give United a hope in hell against Madrid or Bayern and would expect PSG and Barca to beat them fairly comfortably as well.
    Probably but Arsenal were running Bayern close in the first leg before the sending off.

Arsenal have a better team than United at the minute and playing well (without scoring) for the first half hour of the home leg counts for very little imo.

Not trying to sound overly harsh, I just wouldn't give United a chance against Munich/Madrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

PSG
    Real Madrid
    Chelsea
    Barcelona
    Atletico Madrid
    Dortmund
    Bayern

Seriously??

I mean against Dortmund, PSG, Atletico or Chelsea you couldn't say it's a foregone conclusion, but no matter who they draw they will be the underdogs. Against Barcelona, Bayern or Real Madrid I'd give them practically no chance, but then no other team will want to draw those 3 sides.

All of that being said, this isn't Chelsea 2012, their defence is far too frail and exposed, their midfield is neither technically good enough to control a game against a good side or controlled enough to guard the back four against an onslaught, all the while they haven't got an inspirational figure up front. I'd be hugely surprised if they get past the quarter finals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,058 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

You do know RVP and Neville sent their sons to city academy.

How many players have made it into the city team from said academy?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Ryan Giggs, you legend.
    Van Persie Injury doesn't look good though.

I'd say he'll be alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

all the while they haven't got an inspirational figure up front. I'd be hugely surprised if they get past the quarter finals.
    How many does RVP have to score? A hattrick not enough?:rolleyes:

We also have Wayne Rooney..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

In all seriousness united just have not performed well enough or shown any form to have a chance of getting past the quarter finals. There is just too much quality back to front in the other teams. Dortmund would be the best team to draw but even then I wouldn't bet against them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

He said something along the lines of build a team around Jones/Evans/Rafael etc

I think they're both talking out of their backside

He didn't say that. He said that there is the basis of a good team at United and named those players amongst others.

I mean against Dortmund, PSG, Atletico or Chelsea you couldn't say it's a foregone conclusion, but no matter who they draw they will be the underdogs. Against Barcelona, Bayern or Real Madrid I'd give them practically no chance, but then no other team will want to draw those 3 sides.

All of that being said, this isn't Chelsea 2012, their defence is far too frail and exposed, their midfield is neither technically good enough to control a game against a good side or controlled enough to guard the back four against an onslaught, all the while they haven't got an inspirational figure up front. I'd be hugely surprised if they get past the quarter finals.

Chelsea is probably the only team that could beat one of the big 3. R.Madrid, Barca and Bayern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

sea_monkey wrote: »

Now there's a lyric you's will be singing for years to come.

K4t wrote: »
    How many does RVP have to score? A hattrick not enough?:rolleyes:

We also have Wayne Rooney..

At the very top level against the very best teams I would say there is something to prove. Van Persie's been inconsistent this season and quite injury prone. Rooney's had a patchy season too and is hardly banging them in on a regular basis. You could also question has either of them done it in the Champions League when they were the main man at their club? Rooney in 2011, getting Man Utd to the final, is probably as good as it has gotten for either in this competition.

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    United got an easy draw because they topped the group and were top seeds. Last year they also won their group and got Real Madrid. Easy draw?

Yer group stages for the last 3 years have been a walk in the park.
    Any team can get top in thr groups ye were put in.

Chelsea is probably the only team that could beat one of the big 3. R.Madrid, Barca and Bayern.

Because of the Mourinho factor I'd tend to agree, though I do think that next season (Mourinho's second season is always better than his first, a top class striker and Matic available) we probably stand a better chance in Europe. Still though, I doubt any side will be overjoyed with the prospect of facing Mourinho's Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

lol good man GNev, asked if he considers Utd outsiders he looks at Carragher and says 'There's been some non-fancied team in the past that have beaten Olympiakos and gone on to win it'

• Advertisement
Advertisement