Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United vs Olympiakos Match Thread 19/3/2014 k/o 19.45.

191011121315»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

MD1990 wrote: »
    its not a realistic possibility

Believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Yes I was laughing. Yes I thought the team was a joke.

Can you seriously tell me that if you were Bayern, Madrid fan and saw that lineup 45 minutes before the game that you would not be confident? 40 yo man in the middle granted he had fine game

The Greeks had chances. They could have scored 3.

3-0 scoreline flattered us and im worried some United fans dont see this at all.

This is true. Olympiakos are a poor enough side, let's be realistic here. Around the same level of West Brom(pretty sure i saw that David Fuster lad come on as a sub against Athlone Town for Villareal for one) and they had their chances nonetheless.

Delighted we won but i was wary of what would happen once we got a third. Sure enough we sat back and parked the bus in Old Trafford against a team we'd put 3 past in 50 minutes and that were on the ropes. If that was the same team a year ago with SAF in charge i'd say we'd have won 5 or 6-0 tonight, they weren't great at all. Instead Utd fans were watching from behind their hands while Olympiakos lay siege to our goal like they were the fecking Galacticos. This is Manchester United in Old Trafford ffs and we're hanging on for dear life against Greek minnows.

Great result but the problems are as obvious as they were prior to kickoff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 655 ✭✭✭marvsins

If i had my pick for quarter finals it would be Dortmund. They have been very average this season in the league. They have several players on the injury list.They were lucky to draw Zenit who just came back from a 3 month winter break in the first leg. Hopefully we are Match 3 or 4 playing the 8 or 9 April because Dortmund have Bayern to play the following saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Yes I was laughing. Yes I thought the team was a joke.

Can you seriously tell me that if you were Bayern, Madrid fan and saw that lineup 45 minutes before the game that you would not be confident? 40 yo man in the middle granted he had fine game

The Greeks had chances. They could have scored 3.

3-0 scoreline flattered us and im worried some United fans dont see this at all.
    I don't know about Bayern or Madrid but I do know that I was fairly confident that Tonight's line up would get the job done. The negative overreaction to every single Moyes decision has been ridiculous. He can't even say boo in a press conference without somebody calling him small time/failure/out of his depth.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

marvsins wrote: »
    If i had my pick for quarter finals it would be Dortmund. They have been very average this season in the league. They have several players on the injury list.They were lucky to draw Zenit who just came back from a 3 month winter break in the first leg. Hopefully we are Match 3 or 4 playing the 8 or 9 April because Dortmund have Bayern to play the following saturday.

They cant win the league, They will be all out for CL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Pighead wrote: »
    I don't know about Bayern or Madrid but I do know that I was fairly confident that Tonight's line up would get the job done. The negative overreaction to every single Moyes decision has been ridiculous. He can't even say boo in a press conference without somebody calling him small time/failure/out of his depth.

I have praised Moyes where he deserves it.

You can look at the United threads after each game and im one of the few who gave him praise after couple of wins.

But we have been stung far more then any United fan should like.

He is getting stick for talking like a Mansfield United manager rather than a Man United one.

Anybody who thinks its fine to say things like "We are Underdogs" and "We were unlucky" time and time again needs to have head examined.

Tonight seems to have brought out the Moyes supporters, but lets just take a moment to reflect on the opposition.

We were very good till 3rd goal went in. But, then it just went back to the same shambles as before only this time the Greeks who for some reason spent more time arguing with ref then to realise United were there for taking.

Lets not kid ourselves into thinking tonight is some sort of achievement. It ****ing aint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

They cant win the league, They will be all out for CL

They will but at the same time they'll be looking to end Bayern's unbeaten run and after how Bayern gutted their team both in terms of taking their players and by eviscerating them at home in November they'll not be keen to roll over

More telling is that they're at home to Schalke next week, given that Schalke are their archrivals and the Revierderby is probably the fiercest rivalry in Germany it's going to be getting a lot of their attention as well..

Also worth pointing out that their grip on 2nd is tenuous at best, they need every win they can get in the Bundesliga atm and can't rest players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Just had a quick read through this thread. A lot of disappointed souls out there tonight it seems.
    Blue balls everywhere :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

dfx- wrote: »
    If Utd go 0-1 down, I can only see them getting two or three back. If they go 0-2 down, they might only get two back, even with Cleverley being brought on to change things.:P

Seriously, Olympiakos are shocking away from home...

Glad to see some things never change.

Impressive turnaround.

Hopefully this can spur Utd on and take points off City

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Impressive turnaround.

Hopefully this can spur Utd on and take points off City

Unlikely. When teams put pressure on us we're just awful. Olympiacos set up to be negative and defend a lead and that suits a lot of these player but anytime they attacked they looked like they could score! For the last 30 minutes we were under serious pressure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Just had a quick read through this thread. A lot of disappointed souls out there tonight it seems.
    Blue balls everywhere :pac:

I'll be back next leg...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I'll be back next leg...

Cool. I'll be sure to seek you out when your title ambitions are quashed :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Was a few Manc U fans who wanted their team to lose as well last night don't forget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

monkey9 wrote: »
    Was a few Manc U fans who wanted their team to lose as well last night don't forget.

Kids these days! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

First half was a proper United performance. Second half was more of what we've become accustomed to watching this season - drab, dull and one dimensional.

Just had a look through the thread and very surprised to see the reactions to the team when it was announced. Easy for me to say now but I was pleased to see Welbeck and Valencia - at least they'll create space for RVP and Rooney and provide some danger from the wide areas.

Rooney was fantastic- good defensive work and we saw some signs that he can actually link up with RVP.
    Giggs - 40 years old. Incredible. Some shocking passes into nowhere but him and Rooney are the only two that would be audacious enough to try the passes which led to the goals.
    DeGea was outstanding - kept us in the tie with that amazing double save in the first half and there were other times when he was called upon and did a fantastic job at keeping Olympiakos out.
    Impressive display from Jones - still not convinced he's good enough to be first-choice DF but he's shown that he can be relied upon.
    RVP was on fire - hopefully he'll be able to rebuild his confidence off the back of this hatrick.
    Welbeck was sensational - he wasn't up against the most formidable of defences but he created plenty of space for RVP and Rooney and was dangerous all night down the left. He should definitely stay there for the derby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

Agree with what the Sky boys were saying last night - Moyes is stuck between the manager he was at Everton and the manager he thinks he has to be at United. He needs to stop questioning himself and thinking "would a United manager do this?" and just go for it. The performances can't get much worse.

Also, agree with what GNev was saying - he shouldn't be afraid to leave some of the big names out. Pretty obvious that Mata is struggling. Moyes is tactically naive trying to fit all the big names and signings into the same side.

Advertisement