Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ardara, Killygordon or Ramelton as a base to explore Donegal?

Options
  • 18-03-2014 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭

Looking at booking summer holidays.Just myself,wife and 18 month old.Boils down to Ardara,Killygordon or Ramelton for a week.All 3 rental properties are pretty similar price wise though Ramelton rental house is in centre of town which means easy access to shops/restaurants etc. Other 2 are outside Ardara and Ballybofey. Kinda leaning towards Ramelton as its closer to nice beaches but know nothing about the town itself,is it nice?Has it decent restaurants/facilities?Feel free to advise,thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

I'd personally choose either Ramelton or Ardara, both are lovely little villages with plenty of character and well catered towards holiday makers. Which one depends on what parts of the county you'd like to visit. Donegal is a fairly big place with poor quality roads so you'd be better focusing on one part of the county instead of spending half your holiday driving.

Ramelton is ideal for the north of the county, Fanad peninsula, Inishowen, Ards, Letterkenny & Derry etc

Ardara is a good base for the west coast, Donegal town, Gweedore, the islands, Portnoo, Sliabh Liag etc

Up to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Thanks. Would there be more to see and do up around fanad, inishowen etc? Have to entertain an 18 month old also so would like to have access to swimming pool, outdoor playground for him. The house in ardara is bit more expensive but bigger.... Not that we need extra bedrooms! So it's either ramelton or ardara.... Which of the 2 towns is nicer?

• Registered Users Posts: 46,101 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Have a quick read through this thread and make sure to click on the link in the first post. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Well Ramelton would be a better bet in terms of indoor facilities and playgrounds, it's just down the road from Letterkenny and 40 minutes from Derry City if you get unlucky with the weather. There's great beaches all around the north coast (Portsalon, Dunfanaghy, Ards Forest Park and others all within easy reach) and you're not too far from Glenveigh National Park or Errigal

As for which is nicer, both are just small villages so check out pictures on Google and decide for yourself! I haven't been to either in a while but both are catered towards tourists so you should be fine for food and facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,101 ✭✭✭✭muffler

+1 on the above ^

• Advertisement

Great,thanks for all that.
    We've decided not to do self catering so we're staying a few nights in Ballyliffin(Lodge&Spa),a few nights in Letterkenny(Clanree) and maybe Gweedore for a night or two. I also booked 3 nights in the Bay View Hotel Killybegs.Got it for €200 for 3 nights August bank holiday weekend which seems a good price(for that time of year).I rang them and its only opened again since December after refurbishment, has a pool also. Only a few reviews of it on Tripadvisor, bit mixed, food suppoesdly not great.Anyone stay in it recently?Is it half decent?!!
    Killybegs seems good base to explore West Donegal,Glengesh,Ardara,Slieve League etc and I hear theres a few nice beaches nearby also.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

toby2111 wrote: »
    Killybegs seems good base to explore West Donegal,Glengesh,Ardara,Slieve League etc and I hear theres a few nice beaches nearby also.

Killybegs smells! Donegal Town is probably a better bet, you can easily get to the South West from there, and there's plenty more choice as regards accommodation.

For eating, try the Village Tavern in Mountcharles.

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Killybegs smells.

Of fish?! Ah well, it's booked now, we won't be hanging around too much so will use it as a base. What's the local opinion on the Bay View Hotel?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Iwernia

The Bay View is only recently reopened and is a welcome addition to the town. I have not heard any reports yet but as you say, its only a base. Absolutely stunning part of the world with some of the best parts of the wild atlantic way to be seen nearby.

Advertisement