Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage - gift

Options
  • 18-03-2014 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

I was wondering..
    If any of you got a gift from a family member for deposit for mortgage.
    What evidence did u need to provide the bank with to say where the gift came from?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 sjbyrne16

I was looking into this too. I think you need a signed letter from the family member to say that you do not have to repay the amount and that it is a gift. It cannot be more than 50% of the value of the deposit though. I could be wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

You need to get a letter from the person making the gift stating that they have gifted you X amount towards the purchase of your new home and that the gift is not repayable. The gift amount needs to be shown on your bank atatement.

Limbo159 wrote: »
    I was wondering..
    If any of you got a gift from a family member for deposit for mortgage.
    What evidence did u need to provide the bank with to say where the gift came from?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Limbo159

thanks a million for your help!

these family members wouldnt be overly questioned on where the person got this gift from???????? asking for tax reasons!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

if you are not buying for 6 months, see if the family member will give you the gift now, then when applying for your mortgage they will only ask for 6 months statements, making the money look like it was always there.

Advertisement