Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice re tree

• 18-03-2014 12:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭

Had a tree similar to one in pic years ago however it was evergreen- the leaves were two tone green they were lovely-

I am looking for similar type of tree for small front garden-

Any advice appreciated-

Paddy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭LurkerNo1

Sounds like a Eucalyptus you are describing, i wouldn't recommend one for a small garden. You can get a multi stem Eucalyptus Gunnii and coppice it every year or so but it won't stop the roots from growing. Why not just get an evergreen shrub, something more suitable for a small garden and train it into a tree shape if you wish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

thks I looked up that tree you mention. that's not the tree!!its exactly like the one outside size wise etc , but evergreen....any recommendations of what I could put in that would be that size thks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

The closest tree looks like a Sorbus (Mountain Ash) in your Photo.
    Can you recall the size shape of the leaves on your evergreen tree.
    Are you sure it wasn't a shrub "Pruned" to look like a small tree.

jezko wrote: »
    The closest tree looks like a Sorbus (Mountain Ash) in your Photo.
    Can you recall the size shape of the leaves on your evergreen tree.
    Are you sure it wasn't a shrub "Pruned" to look like a small tree.

Thks it was similar shape maybe a bit shorter with a wider span- goos size leaf lovely mix of dark- light green-

Something similar in size but with a bit of flowering all year would be great

That size is what I want tho for a bit of cover of sitting room window it would be nice if flowered all year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Mmm, no expert, but that looks like a broadleaf Ash tree (not evergreen).

• Advertisement

Depends now on your budget,

I'd use Photina Red Robin but as a Lollypop shape. if you don't mind keeping it tidy.
    lot's of colour now, can flower (Early summer?) , hardy enough -ish

Not many evergreen small trees outside of Conifers

Laurel (Bay), I know a Shrub

Holly (Slow)

Can only think of Shrubs to be honest.

smcgiff wrote: »
    Mmm, no expert, but that looks like a broadleaf Ash tree (not evergreen).

I dont want to know what tgat is really thks - looking for something similar Size wise - but evergreen if possible for small front garden thks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭LurkerNo1

What size exactly is your front gardening how much space would you like the spread of the tree to cover? It would help with your tree/shrub choice.

LurkerNo1 wrote: »
    What size exactly is your front gardening how much space would you like the spread of the tree to cover? It would help with your tree/shrub choice.

Same as tree in first pic ideal - evergreen if possible - bit of cover thks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Had a tree similar to one in pic years ago however it was evergreen- the leaves were two tone green they were lovely-

I am looking for similar type of tree for small front garden-

Any advice appreciated-

Paddy

The tree in the photo is Sorbus acuparia 'Autumn Spire'.

Something similar sizewise but evergreen: Italian Cypress or alternatively Golden Yew.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Same as tree in first pic ideal - evergreen if possible - bit of cover thks
    The tree in the picture would grow. Do you mean that the tree in the picture is the final size and shape you require? You need to decide on what you want the rough final size and shape of the tree before choosing.

Do you want to maintain the tree, ie annual pruning/clipping to maintain a shape?

A fastigate yew may be appropiate

Thinking you will only get "privacy" from the roadside/neighbors if you plant where that sorbus is.
    You would get better privacy (From Footpath) if you plant a higher "hedge" where the "Prunus" ?? is at the border... depending how close your window is to the border hedge..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

jezko wrote: »
    Thinking you will only get "privacy" from the roadside/neighbors if you plant where that sorbus is.
    You would get better privacy (From Footpath) if you plant a higher "hedge" where the "Prunus" ?? is at the border... depending how close your window is to the border hedge..

I did a raised bed of railway sleepers to get a head start with this type of idea using golden privit (slower than green privit and nicer looking imo for a small front formal hedge) the distance was less than 10 foot from bay window to footpath and it worked very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Hmmm, I agree with the golden cypress or you could also try bamboo in that contained spot....

Advertisement