Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for weekend in London

Options
  • 18-03-2014 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I'm travelling to London in May for a weekend with my friend. We are flying into Stanstead and will then get a transfer to Liverpool Street Station. So, what I'm wondering is where would be the best place to look for accomodation? Are we better off staying close to Liverpool St Stn for ease of returning to airport on the morning of departure or should we stay closer to the city. It's mainly a weekend of sightseeing and nights out so we are flexible with regard to area.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭83ste

What time does your flight back to Ireland depart at?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

As has been mentioned on here a tonne of times, the Tune Hotel near Liverpool Street Station is ideal for a quick jaunt to London - especially if travelling to Stansted.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭sibeen99

Its approx 6.30am flight.

sibeen99 wrote: »

Oh my sweet holy Jesus! :eek:

enda1 wrote: »
    As has been mentioned on here a tonne of times, the Tune Hotel near Liverpool Street Station is ideal for a quick jaunt to London - especially if travelling to Stansted.

Thanks enda1,

I should have searched more thoroughly :o

• Advertisement

Oh my sweet holy Jesus! :eek:

I know, we really only need a place for a bag drop for that night :D

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭83ste

Then I'd highly recommend you stay in a Stansted airport hotel the night before. The first train from Liverpool St to Stansted in the morning leaves at 4:40am, which gets you into Stansted at 5:50am - that's pretty much the absolute bare minimum you'd need to make a 6:30am flight, and if there's any delay whatsoever with the train or going through security, you're screwed.

83ste wrote: »
    Then I'd highly recommend you stay in a Stansted airport hotel the night before. The first train from Liverpool St to Stansted in the morning leaves at 4:40am, which gets you into Stansted at 5:50am - that's pretty much the absolute bare minimum you'd need to make a 6:30am flight, and if there's any delay whatsoever with the train or going through security, you're screwed.

Thanks a mil for that, I hadn't even checked the train timetable so glad to know that before I booked a hotel!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Ya with a flight at that time stay at the airport. No way of getting to the airport that early.

afatbollix wrote: »
    Ya with a flight at that time stay at the airport. No way of getting to the airport that early.

Well that's not true now, there's always a taxi/minicab which could certainly be a descent option especially as there are a few of you OP I gather!?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Green

1) Get large placard and pay homage to Stanley Green

2) Have a few in the Portherhouse

3) Buy a large cake

5) Go back to Stansted and get on plane back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Well that's not true now, there's always a taxi/minicab which could certainly be a descent option especially as there are a few of you OP I gather!?

Still going to be about £85 to £100 for a mini cab. Why not book the hotel out at the airport then instead of having to get up at 3am then can sleep in and get up later?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

afatbollix wrote: »
    Still going to be about £85 to £100 for a mini cab
    That'd be very steep. A cab (for two people) from central London to Stansted shouldn't cost more than £50; at least not with the companies that I use

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

Aren't there National Express/Terravision buses that run from Liverpool St to Stansted all night? They're only about a tenner each way and very reliable

Thanks guys,
    certainly some food for thought for there! There are two of us travelling so will have to discuss whether to stay at airport or get a cab. £50 is reasonable enough for a cab. I guess it will all fall into place but its nice to be organised too.

dd972 wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Green

1) Get large placard and pay homage to Stanley Green

2) Have a few in the Portherhouse

3) Buy a large cake

5) Go back to Stansted and get on plane back.

Who wants less passion and lust??!!:confused:
    Im all for the cake though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭maggiep2010

Aren't there National Express/Terravision buses that run from Liverpool St to Stansted all night? They're only about a tenner each way and very reliable

There are buses that run every half hour, all night long…going to stay in the airport the night before would be a waste of a night in London. Some good hostels in Shoreditch (which is few mins walk to Liverpool st), wouldn't cost too much, and one of best areas in London for going out!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭maggiep2010

my friend stayed here recently, brilliant location, new and clean…

http://www.thedictionaryhostel.com

my friend stayed here recently, brilliant location, new and clean…

http://www.thedictionaryhostel.com

Thanks magpie2010, Ill check it out :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Who wants less passion and lust??!!:confused:
    Im all for the cake though :D

Poor old Stanley was a street character when I was there in the late 80s - paying tribute meant eating a large rare steak ;)

• Advertisement

Banjoxed wrote: »
    Poor old Stanley was a street character when I was there in the late 80s - paying tribute meant eating a large rare steak ;)

Lol well if that's the case then I might add it to my itinerary :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

So, what I'm wondering is where would be the best place to look for accomodation? Are we better off staying close to Liverpool St Stn for ease of returning to airport on the morning of departure or should we stay closer to the city. It's mainly a weekend of sightseeing and nights out so we are flexible with regard to area.
    It really depends on what you mean by "The City". I think Liverpool St is a reasonably good base, bearing in mind that you need to get back to Stansted. That part of London ("The City" or "Square Mile" - the financial heart of London), is eerily deserted at the weekends, but, it's actually really nice to walk around - there are some very impressive buildings. I think of it as a mini Vienna within London.

And while the immediate area is very quiet, you'd be very close to Shoreditch, if it's trendy, wanky, nights out that you're after. You'd also be pretty close to Angel/Islington.

And as for sights, well, as I say, The City is nice for a wander, but, by virtue of Liverpool St being fairly central and on the Central Line, you'll be able to get to pretty anywhere you're likely to want to see within about 15-25 minutes: Piccadilly, Covent Garden, Green Park (Buckingham Palace), St Paul's, Westminster, South Kensington (for the Science Museum, Natural History Museum, V&A Museum). You could actually walk from Liverpool St Station to, say, Covent Garden in about 45 minutes.

Have a look at www.tfl.gov.uk for tube maps and journey times.
    Jaysus - why do people do that to themselves?!?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

djpbarry wrote: »
    It really depends on what you mean by "The City". I think Liverpool St is a reasonably good base, bearing in mind that you need to get back to Stansted. That part of London ("The City" or "Square Mile" - the financial heart of London), is eerily deserted at the weekends, but, it's actually really nice to walk around - there are some very impressive buildings. I think of it as a mini Vienna within London.

And while the immediate area is very quiet, you'd be very close to Shoreditch, if it's trendy, wanky, nights out that you're after. You'd also be pretty close to Angel/Islington.

And as for sights, well, as I say, The City is nice for a wander, but, by virtue of Liverpool St being fairly central and on the Central Line, you'll be able to get to pretty anywhere you're likely to want to see within about 15-25 minutes: Piccadilly, Covent Garden, Green Park (Buckingham Palace), St Paul's, Westminster, South Kensington (for the Science Museum, Natural History Museum, V&A Museum). You could actually walk from Liverpool St Station to, say, Covent Garden in about 45 minutes.

Have a look at www.tfl.gov.uk for tube maps and journey times.
    Jaysus - why do people do that to themselves?!?

Cheap flight can be the only reason. You are either going to get up around 4.30 or not go to bed.

Advertisement