Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bedroom issues

Options
  • 18-03-2014 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭

Myself and the girlfriend are living in a lovely ground floor apartment for over 5 months now and we really love this place except for one problem.

The bedroom.

Firstly the mattress is ancient and results in bad nights sleep often. We've mentioned this to the agency a number of times but I guess we'll have to push on this as they never get back to us on it.

But the other issue is not straightforward.

Its the coldest room in the house. The cold comes through the window. But it has a humidity problem too so we have to keep the window open during the day a lot. They did provide us with a de-humidifier. But we still get issues with mould growing on the walls and ceiling.

The biggest issue is the room directly effects my health! Every morning I wake up with a tingly throat, runny nose. Sometimes a cough.

Sometimes I'll start sneezing within only a few minutes of entering the room. I appear to be more susceptible to all this than my GF but she does get this a little.

Twice over the winter I caught a bug and spent days in bed only to eventually have to spend a few nights in my parents house in my old bedroom because the one in the apartment appeared to be keeping me sick. I'd always wake up worse after spending the night there.

We keep the room clean and mould free, we air it out everyday. Regularly change the bed sheets etc. We dunno what to do. My GF thinks we should tell the agency about all this but I don't know what they can say to something like that.

Anyone have any ideas? Its such a killer as we love the apartment otherwise.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Sleep in the living room?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Move out. It's not worth your health

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Buy your own mattress. God knows what is in that old one. Ew.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Sounds like dust allergies ,

Then again mould spores can cause a lot of issues with your respiratory system

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Sisko wrote: »
    We keep the room clean and mould free, we air it out everyday. Regularly change the bed sheets etc. We dunno what to do. My GF thinks we should tell the agency about all this but I don't know what they can say to something like that.

If you think that there is a mould problem despite reasonable efforts being taken to prevent it then you really need to get the agency involved as it could be a bigger issue in terms of damp in the building etc.

Wrt the mattress, my advice would be to buy your own and consider it a good investment!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

My GF thinks we should tell the agency about all this but I don't know what they can say to something like that.

She's right. Get on, and moan your backside off about the poor ventilation and the draughts. Because if there is mould growing in the room there is a problem, and it's clearly affecting your health. And the landlord can fix it by double glazing that window and putting in a proper vent.

Also, get a new mattress even if you need to buy it yourself (you can ask the agency to store the other one so you can bring it with you when you leave). It could be full of dust mites (and generally sounds manky).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

OP I mentioned my ailments in another few threads were people had the same issues, sounds like me and you had pretty similar issues.

I had mould and condensation on the windows frequently, and went from October to about January coughing and spluttering. Went to the doctor there last week after it came back, said I'd been carrying a chest infection around for months.

When I outlined the situation in the old apartment, has booked me into a hospital appointment to have further tests and scans, as he said I might have developed a respiratory issue. Absolutely mental ****. I noticed going up stairs, playing football, I'm panting for air more then usual.

We moved three weeks ago, and I've been walking up with no problems. Handful of mornings with bad coughing and build up of flem, but its the breakup of what I had, I'm on some mild antibiotics to deal with the situation, but the doctor said I'm lucky in that my body seems to have dealt with it and the three weeks of good conditions have steadied the situation.

I tried a dehumidifer, filling the vents, better duvet, all you could suggest. Ever morning with out fail, waking up like **** for a few months. Worse experience of my life.

I know it can be bland to say and **** to hear, but these things rarely get sorted from what I've read. It's a structural problem that will require a wall rebuild, or new windows. Neither of which is gonna happen while your living there.

I'd consider moving out. It's all fine and dandy in the summer, but winter its torture. I've a pregnant girlfriend so the decision was easy enough for me, couldnt have that with me being sick, or the chance of her getting sick. I could only imagine having a baby in a cot in my old bedroom, be torture for a new born.

Make a real case to the agency, and if its not something they will actively deal with, I'd be looking into options for your end of lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Myself and the girlfriend are living in a lovely ground floor apartment for over 5 months now and we really love this place except for one problem.

The bedroom.

Firstly the mattress is ancient and results in bad nights sleep often. We've mentioned this to the agency a number of times but I guess we'll have to push on this as they never get back to us on it.

But the other issue is not straightforward.

Its the coldest room in the house. The cold comes through the window. But it has a humidity problem too so we have to keep the window open during the day a lot. They did provide us with a de-humidifier. But we still get issues with mould growing on the walls and ceiling.

The biggest issue is the room directly effects my health! Every morning I wake up with a tingly throat, runny nose. Sometimes a cough.

Sometimes I'll start sneezing within only a few minutes of entering the room. I appear to be more susceptible to all this than my GF but she does get this a little.

Twice over the winter I caught a bug and spent days in bed only to eventually have to spend a few nights in my parents house in my old bedroom because the one in the apartment appeared to be keeping me sick. I'd always wake up worse after spending the night there.

Anyone have any ideas? Its such a killer as we love the apartment otherwise.

Get onto Mattress Mick for a new mattress :-)

Maybe there is no vent in the bedroom or it is blocked causing the dampness.

You can buy a decent humidifier in Power city.

Advertisement