Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Escape From Bogband

Options
  • 18-03-2014 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Right, I hope I get more than just flaming abuse for this but basically I am trying to decide my best option for where I live.
    I work in the computing industry and need a good connection to the internet.
    I live ~ 3 miles from town so I am on the end of the DSL cable line limit.
    I can get about 1.6Mb down and 0.3Mb up.
    I would love if a fibre line was rolled out my road :)
    But realistically in this wonderful little country of ours this is not going to happen in the foreseeable future! :(
    Opinions and tips please:
    1) go mobile? I can get a 3G signal upstairs, hopefully 4G is coming soon! :D
    but the download caps on the available packages are horrendous!
    2) Satellite? I've seen 20Mb speeds advertised, which would suit my download needs but the latency's are horrible!
    3) Stick with bogband? Will it get any better any time soon?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24 its fukt

Paddy_B wrote: »
    Right, I hope I get more than just flaming abuse for this but basically I am trying to decide my best option for where I live.
    I work in the computing industry and need a good connection to the internet.
    I live ~ 3 miles from town so I am on the end of the DSL cable line limit.
    I can get about 1.6Mb down and 0.3Mb up.
    I would love if a fibre line was rolled out my road :)
    But realistically in this wonderful little country of ours this is not going to happen in the foreseeable future! :(
    Opinions and tips please:
    1) go mobile? I can get a 3G signal upstairs, hopefully 4G is coming soon! :D
    but the download caps on the available packages are horrendous!
    2) Satellite? I've seen 20Mb speeds advertised, which would suit my download needs but the latency's are horrible!
    3) Stick with bogband? Will it get any better any time soon?

There's a fourth option, fixed wireless. You don't say where you are located, but use this map to see whats available in your area then ask your neighbours what the service is like. Depending on the provider they may offer faster speeds and higher download limits than all others. You'll need clear line of sight to one of their transmitters, they'll install a fixed receiver on your house and cable it to inside.
    http://irelandoffline.org/mapbeta/

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Paddy_B

its fukt wrote: »
    There's a fourth option, fixed wireless. You don't say where you are located, but use this map to see whats available in your area then ask your neighbours what the service is like. Depending on the provider they may offer faster speeds and higher download limits than all others. You'll need clear line of sight to one of their transmitters, they'll install a fixed receiver on your house and cable it to inside.
    http://irelandoffline.org/mapbeta/

Slight issue there! I reside in the rolling drumlins of Monaghan! :o
    But I'll check it out anyway! Thanks! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you mounted a 3g transceiver on the roof/a pole you might get decent speeds, say 5Mb in favourable conditions, but the caps make it useless.

Realistically the answer is move, though that's not what you want to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭knotknowbody

Paddy_B wrote: »
    Slight issue there! I reside in the rolling drumlins of Monaghan! :o
    But I'll check it out anyway! Thanks! :D

Yeah, get Net1 out they are likely to be your best bet in Monaghan for fixed wireless, they have come out to me and done a site survey for free, if you can't get it, there is no charge, if you can there is still no obligation to go ahead with the install.

If they say you can get it means you know you have line of sight to their mast, I can see two of them, I then looked into who else offered services from those two sites and picked the best provider.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Do Digiweb Metro have line of sight?

"Bogband"! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭amandstu

What is the overall picture for the 4g rollout?

I know they have started with the main urban centres but that is a while back now and when I look at the coverage charts they don't seem to have changed since the beginning.

What sort of a time frame are we talking about for 4g to replace 3g outside the big cities?

Years rather than months ?

Advertisement