If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

denon

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Hi there.

Unfortunately not.

The Denon receivers do not have a video decoding chip so it will only handle audio playback.

The vast majority of receivers are like this as the Manufacturers tend to use their blu ray players to be able to hand video via UAB as it already has the video processing on board to enable the playback.

In saying that, the other issue that you are likely to come across is that with that size of drive, it if contains lots of files, the navigation through that is likely to be very slow. If you have that size of drive and are looking to stream videos etc, I would always go witha NAS drive due to the transfer limitations of USB.

There are a few receivers (Yamaha RXA2020) will handle video files across the network, but they still don't permit it via the USB.

I hope that helps.

ATB

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

k123456 wrote: »
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/av-receivers/denon/avrx2000/deno-avrx2000

Hi Can I use this device as a media player

I have a 3TB USB drive (mains powered) , will it pick up a 3tb Drive

and what movie types will it play

mkv, [font=arial, sans-serif]‎[/font][font=arial, sans-serif]MPG[/font][font=arial, sans-serif] - ‎[/font][font=arial, sans-serif]MP4[/font][font=arial, sans-serif] - ‎[/font][font=arial, sans-serif]AVI[/font][font=arial, sans-serif] - ‎[/font] etc

Thanks
    If you don't mind a bit of an unprofessional advice, here is mine:
    I use a now obsolete PS3 game console as a server hooked up to AV receiver via HDMI.
    All you need is a PS3 server app (free) installed on your Windows machine. Hook up the disc to your laptop/pc and voila!

This way you can play most of the files (including subtitles) as all the encoding is done by the server app.
    My default eircom router handles it well, no freezin or anything like this.

I agree with Dave that navigating through 3TB of files can be difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

You could also look at a dedicated media player.

Something like the Western Digital Live would also fit the bill and it has digital audio output.

There is less to go wrong with this than a PS3 and they are very compact and work brilliantly.

ATB

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

You could also look at a dedicated media player.

Something like the Western Digital Live would also fit the bill and it has digital audio output.

There is less to go wrong with this than a PS3 and they are very compact and work brilliantly.

ATB

Dave
    There are better options out there, i agree - the only reason I used PS3 was to stream video/audio wirelessly from a laptop. In addition to that there is an encoding issue where a Windows system can stream a lot of formats - including SRT subtitles etc.
    I alredy had a PS3 so it was an obvious choice. It is my Blue Ray disc player at the moment, too. The wireless streaming over the network has some disadvantages, but I didn't run into any problems tbh.

If I didn't have this option then dedicated media server would be on my list. It feels good, however, to use an existing device to do basic job in this case.

Nothing beats the original CD and BR movies quality to be honest, I do have some AVI collection that I like to play from time to time. The PS3 does the job at this moment in this area. The Live box from WD does pretty much the same I guess.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.