Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Concrete Wall - estimated cost

Options
  • 18-03-2014 1:42pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi

I would like to increase the height of a back wall but have no idea how much it will cost. I'll be looking for someone to do it but I wwould like to have a rough idea of what I should be paying.

It's a small backyard so the width is 92 inches and I'd like it to be an extra 30 or so inches (the wall is about 7 foot at the moment). It would also have to be rendered so I can paint it after.

I'd be grateful for any guidance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Dazzler88

teecee74 wrote: »
    the width is 92 inches and I'd like it to be an extra 30 or so inches (the wall is about 7 foot at the moment).
    Do you mean the height of the wall is 92"? Can you give the exact dimensions of the wall? I will be able to give you a rough costing based on the following:
    Height:
    Width:
    Length:

Also best read off the measurements in Millimetres when measuring :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭teecee74

Thanks a million for your reply. The wall is 92 inches wide. It is already about 7 feet tall. The walls on either side are about 10 feet tall and I'd like to raise the back wall to be the same height as it's quite overlooked at the back. I can remeasure it in mm if that's easier and/or add a photo.

I'm based in Dublin city centre. It's a small courtyard/backyard so there's access through the back door if that's what you mean. It's a fairly small job I know as it probably only needs 2 rows of blocks but maybe it would suit someone as a Saturday morning nixer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Thanks a million for your reply. The wall is 92 inches wide. It is already about 7 feet tall. The walls on either side are about 10 feet tall and I'd like to raise the back wall to be the same height as it's quite overlooked at the back. I can remeasure it in mm if that's easier and/or add a photo.

92 inches is around 7 foot 6 inches wide. I think you mean tall?
    Are you looking for a concrete wall or are you considering using blocks?

Here is a photo. It's the bit in the middle I want to add to.

I don't mean to sound like an idiot, but as pointed out I meant a concrete block wall.

The wall needs to be about 3/3.5 feet taller than it is with a smiliar finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

I don't mean to sound like an idiot, but as pointed out I meant a concrete block wall.

So the length is 7f 6" and the height is 3f 6"?
    Il get the calculator and work out the amount of blocks you'll need.

So that's not a big area at all. I reckon one bale of 6 inch blocks (32) a few bags of cement and half ton of sand should do the trick.

You should be able to collect this locally for less than 100 euro. Then you need to ring a few builders and get prices. They would easily get this done in one day.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭handandy

that is a planning permission job there as you are going way over the legal height limit for a rear garden boundary wall which is 2 meters in height . you also need a foundation inspection job too . you are wanting to add on another 5 coarses of blockwork so thats a hell of alot of extra height and weight on the existing wall foundation .
    but your 1st port of call should be dublin city council planning department and apply for planning permission to increase the wall height .

I hadn't realised about planning permission. It's already 2.2 metres - I assume that the builders built it in accordance with the planning permission they had for building the houses - it's pre2005 so it's not available online so I'll have to call in to check it out.

Assuming that I got permission - at least one of my next door neighbours wants to do the same thing so don't think there would be objections - could there really be an issue with the wall foundations? As the photo shows, it's quite a small job.

Advertisement