Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resolving Host problem using Chrome on Vodafone Mobile Broadband

Options
  • 18-03-2014 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

At my wits end with this.

I have a Lenovo X1 Carbon Laptop with built in modem which I use all day for work using a Vodafone mobile broadband sim in the modem.

Over the last few weeks I've been getting a "resolving host" problem when trying to access websites using Google Chrome and this only occurs when I'm connected via the Vodafone connection, it doesn't happen when I'm on WiFi.

I tried all the fixes I could find online such as http://ryanharrison.co.uk/2013/chrome-resolving-host-fix, clearing the host cache using chrome://net-internals/#dns and flushing the DNS using ipconfig/flushdns and whilst some of these measures seemed to fix the problem temporarily I still encounter the problem up to 50% of the time i.e. the website won't load at all as "resolving host" fails. It's also possible the previously mentioned fixes didn't do anything more than a sort of placebo effect!!

I did ring Vodafone's Data team who took 15 minutes to suggest I get a new sim :rolleyes:

If there is anyone here who actually knows what this problem is and how to solve it I'd be VERY grateful.

Cheers,

Ben

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

^^^^ Bump, I'm unable to sort this problem. Have tried all sorts of supposed solutions. If there is anyone on here who has experienced this issue and fixed it I'd be extremely grateful for your feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭truedoom

does it happen with a different browser?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

truedoom wrote: »
    does it happen with a different browser?

Yes, it only happens when I'm connecting via Vodafone mobile broadband (modem built into laptop) and whilst i use Chrome 99% of the time I launched Firefox once to see if that would be a workaround but I had the same problem with Firefox.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭truedoom

have you tried uninstalling the modem driver, and reinstalling. also check your antivirus/firewall and ensure it's not blocking any connections.

Try safemode with networking and see if the issue happens there, at least you can rule out if it's a windows service or a program causing the issue.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Try updatying the 3G Modem drivers as Truedoom suggests. They should be available on the Lenovo website. It could well be an issue with the internet connection itself is a bit patchy, hence taking a while to resolve the URL.

Nick

• Advertisement
Advertisement