Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charged twice for €20 petrol

Options
  • 18-03-2014 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭

Hey guys,

Put €20 petrol in the car on Saturday. Went to pay and the cashier pulled my card out after I put in my pin, saying the machine was stuck on processing. She gave me a receipt (from the till) and put through the transaction again.

I put in my pin again and the payment went through fine. Checked my account later and noticed that there was 2 different €20 transactions. I rang us & was told to call back today (Tuesday)

Just called back & was told that I have to query this with my bank, who will in turn check with the filling station, who will then get on to the card merchant in Brussels? Is that right? Surely the end of day report should have shown that they were over €20 on Saturday?

Any advice would be greatly welcomed.

Thanks
    IT9

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

One of the transactions could be a temporary hold, while the other might have gone through.

I'd start with your bank. Ask them to look at the transactions from their side, to see what status they are currently in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Ask the bank if there are 2 authorisation numbers, if there is the retailer has to refund you or you can get a charge back from the bank, but its slower.

If there is only 1 authorisation number, then the €20 should appear in your account within a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Intouch9

Hey guys, thanks - checked it and there are 2 individual authorization numbers. I have both so will get back on to the store - will report back! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Intouch9

The filling station are going to check it out & come back to me. Thanks for your help!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,458 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The quickest solution in your case is to go back and ask them for that amount of fuel and the problem is sorted. Did the sales slip from the first transaction not say 'void'? Never allow them to run it through the machine a second time unless you are handed the sales slip from the first swipe and it says 'void'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭magnavox

Had almost this exact situation this time last year. Queried it with the garage and was given the run around, went through the bank then and was given the run around again with them claiming to never have gotten the claim form. Result is no refund and me down 20. Disaster and still grinds my gears thinking of it. Hope you get sorted.

Advertisement