Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving cats to Nairobi (and back)

• 18-03-2014 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭

So, there's a possibility that the OH and I might be going to live in Nairobi for around 18 months to 2 years from some time in 2015.

Problem being that we have two one year old house cats and no obvious foster home for them. Obviously, we're very attached to them and would rather have them with us, but my initial reaction was that we'd have to (very reluctantly) put them up for adoption.

However, we're now thinking that we'll bring them with us, I wonder does anyone have any experience of bringing pets long distances (particularly to the developing world) and back?

Seems to be a relatively straightforward process on the way out, on the way back not so much.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

It's always the return that would be an issue as you're coming from a non EU country (also be careful with any stop over before arriving in Ireland!). Only flown with cats in EU so far but in general I'd try to find a professional company to do the import/export for you and/or fly with them as cabin luggage (only a few airlines would allow something like that).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭Plopli

Hope it's ok to post that.
    I was following a van from http://www.airsea.ie on my commute this morning.

I checked it and they surely will be able to at least give you more information: http://www.airsea.ie/pet-moves/

Advertisement