Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jeremy Clarkson accused of racism

• 18-03-2014 2:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭

Jeremy Clarkson accused of racism.

I never picked up on this when watching the episode. What do you think, was it said intentionally with the guy in mind ?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2582833/Jeremy-Clarkson-accused-racism-Top-Gear-series-finale-Thailand.html

For anybody who is not bothered to read it. After the bridge was made, Jeremy and Richard were looking at the bridge. Jeremey commented that there was a "Slope" on it. At the same time there was an Asian man on the bridge.

I cant make my mind up. Jeremy Clarkson is known for making some strong comments but I dont believe that he is racist. Hard to say TBH.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,245 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

He does look for controversy the odd time, but the tabloids hate him with a vengeance. Its a nonsense article imo, they are really scraping the bottom of the barrel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Some people really have too much time on their hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 yayabalexreya

Definitely a racist. He's an alcoholic. He's mind is not functioning correctly. He is now living in denial in la la land.

A comment like what he said was designed and is without doubt a racist comment. It beggars belief he's allowed on telly. The establishment seem to have given him licence to reflect this 19th century type laugh up your sleeve type arrogance. Basically he's a madman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Definitely a racist. He's an alcoholic. He's mind is not functioning correctly. He is now living in denial in la la land.

A comment like what he said was designed and is without doubt a racist comment. It beggars belief he's allowed on telly. The establishment seem to have given him licence to reflect this 19th century type laugh up your sleeve type arrogance. Basically he's a madman.

Would you care to back up any of your accusations with sources ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Black Cock? get that down your throat? People actually rise to that stuff? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

mike65 wrote: »
    Black Cock? get that down your throat?

Ill have a stiff one :)

One of the few laughs in that episode IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 yayabalexreya

Just my opinion pal. I thought it was patently obvious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,126 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I don't think he himself is racist. But I think they know exactly what they're saying and what reaction it'll get. That shot would have been set up exactly so he could say that line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

You'll be telling us he's been unfaithful to his wife next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Get down off that fence there and tell us what you really think! :pac:

I watched both eps back to back last night, and there was nothing in that at all imo.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I didn't even know 'slope' was a pejorative for Asian people; thanks Internet!

Well, whether there's anything in it or not, I guess this is the price you pay for being deliberately outrageous & provocational: eventually people will start reading something into everything you say. Live by the sword n' all that.

Actually hang on, I just clicked on the link. I should have guessed when I saw it was from the Daily Mail, but the 'outrage' is coming from Twitter FFS. Twitter. Not an anti-racism institute, pillars of the Asian community or anyone you'd even remotely respect or listen to. It's coming from Twitter. Nothing to see here people, move on! One of these days the Daily Mail might get caught doing some journalism; wouldn't that be nice!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

When I heard of this, I assuned it was when james and jeremy were picking on richard during the "we cant look the same to them" part. It was obvious that the slope comment was aimed at the man on the bridge? I never even noticed he was there when they said it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Brinimartini

Tzardine wrote: »
    Jeremy Clarkson accused of racism.

I never picked up on this when watching the episode. What do you think, was it said intentionally with the guy in mind ?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2582833/Jeremy-Clarkson-accused-racism-Top-Gear-series-finale-Thailand.html

For anybody who is not bothered to read it. After the bridge was made, Jeremy and Richard were looking at the bridge. Jeremey commented that there was a "Slope" on it. At the same time there was an Asian man on the bridge.

I cant make my mind up. Jeremy Clarkson is known for making some strong comments but I dont believe that he is racist. Hard to say TBH.

Whats so bad about being called a racist.I can be slightly racist at particular times and am not ashamed if called racist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

The bridge is actually sloped to one side ,

Must be a seriously slow day for the brigade

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

jacksie66 wrote: »
    This kind of **** is why I hate people. PC ****heads...

PC has nothing to do with this, please don't lump in these Twitter fools with those with a social conscience; this is a cut & dry case of a newspaper, infamous for trolling and low-standards, using a tiny clutch of random Twitter comments to drum up some controversy and clickthroughs to its website for the sake of it. We've all fallen for it, so well done Daily Wail in earning its keep once again :rolleyes: :(

Political Correctness is a perfectly sound mentality when used in moderation to protect groups who need protecting or our support, but this is absolutely nowhere near that ballpark because nobody worth considering has been offended here. Remember folks, Twitter is the kind of landscape where people think Titanic was a fictional event; search it long enough and you're bound to find someone coming out with a stupid enough remark to back the things you wish to publish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Eight Ball

He's a disgusting unfunny racist.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Don't find him offensive but I can't say I've ever liked him either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

I think the joke they played on Hammond trying to put him across as racist was worse but it was done in fun, saying they all looked the same.

Clarkson probably did set it up.Its so scripted now that the man on the bridge was more than likely told to be on the bridge when they shot that scene.What he said could be picked up 2 ways one the bridge is sloped or it could be racist.

Like when they were say say the Burma people have probably never see a white person before and they were standing in front a Chelsea poster.

Big deal being made of nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭dpe

"Slope" is an American racist term, not a British one. People are reading way too much into this, there was actually a slope on the bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

dpe wrote: »
    ...........there was actually a slope on the bridge.

Racist !!!!!!!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

JC is an equal-opportunities racist, i.e. he insults everybody, particularly the French. And rightly so, arrogant cheese-eating Froggy surrender-bastards. If it were I on that bridge in Burma and the Great One were to say "there's an unintelligible red-haired Potatoist on there trying to Semtex it", I would consider my life complete. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Whats so bad about being called a racist.I can be slightly racist at particular times and am not ashamed if called racist

Good-natured, robust, bloke-ish ribbing like this, that acknowledges that people are different and yet the same, is healthy. Racism is a rather different thing. A blanket ban on opening your mouth in any way whatsoever about cultural or physical differences (there was another furore a while back when May said Mexican food was like puke, or something) is not healthy, and leads to the kind of ridiculousness set out in this latest "controversy".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭jane82

Twitter needs to get a life. I like Jeremy hes a bit mad. I doubt hes a racist but with everybody being accused of being a racist these days I couldnt care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 473 ✭✭lollsangel

Jaysus I better tell the partner slope is a degoraty term for him.......never heard it before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

http://www.independent.ie/woman/celeb-news/im-sitting-here-begging-your-forgiveness-jeremy-clarkson-issues-video-statement-on-nword-controversy-30236710.html

TOP Gear presenter Jeremy Clarkson has issued a video statement clarifying media reports he had used the ‘n-word’ in a recent recording of the show.

Clarkson tweeted a link to his statement this evening.

“Ordinarily I don’t respond to newspaper allegations, but In this case I feel I have to make an exception”, he began.

He explained that in the scene he was saying the nursery rhyme ‘Eeny, meeny, miny, moe’.

The rhyme features the racial slur.

He said that three takes were made – in the first two he mumbled in place of the offending word, and in the final he said ‘teacher’.

While he was watching back the takes, he noticed that in one of the takes where he mumbled it sounded like he had in fact said the word.

“I was mortified by this, I was horrified.

“It is a word I loathe, and I did everything in my power to ensure that it did not appear in the programme that was transmitted.

He then proceeded to read out a note he sent to the production team asking for the scene to be edited.

“I didn’t use the n-word here and I just listened through my headphones here and it sounds like I did”, he said in the note.

“I’m sitting here begging your forgiveness that obviously my efforts weren’t quite good enough”, he finished.

Video here:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/05/01/jeremy-clarkson-n-word-racism-row-top-gear_n_5244823.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Pretty bizzare that that rhyme would be included in the script in the first place, - part of the script was mumbling that word out?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

But its also very common in childs play for picking one thing over the other and that was the manner in which he was using it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭shamrock55

People really need to get a life, there was a slope on the bridge, but just because there was an asian person walking across, he automatically ment him and the pc brigade jump on it, this whole raceism thing really gets on my tits, we wont be able to fcuking speak at all soon for fear of offending someone on the planet:mad:

Advertisement