Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 8 Boot From CD

Options
  • 18-03-2014 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭

I've a few ASUS X551M laptops, I've set one up the way I want and would like to make an image using Norton Ghost 15 to setup the rest of them the same way.

I must have changed every setting in BIOS but haven't been able to get the bloody thing to boot from the CD.. There is no 'legacy/CSM' option to enable anywhere, only boot option is UEFI.

Just wrecking my head this morning

HELP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Is that any help? (RED)

"Set up the BIOS in EFI or Legacy mode Some recent computers (>2011) allow to set up the boot either in UEFI mode or in Legacy (not-EFI) mode. The way to carry out this setting depends on the computers, but generally this setting is located in the "Boot order" tab of the BIOS (to access the BIOS screens, it is generally necessary to press a key during the PC startup).
    Note: Some BIOSes (e.g. American Megatrends' "Aptio", found on the Asus vivobook series) call Legacy mode "Compatibility Support Module" or simply "CSM".
    Remark: Some BIOSes allow one to set up the boot mode for the optical drive separately from the boot mode for the HDD.
    For example, below:
    • the "UEFI Hitachi" line allows to boot the HDD in EFI mode,
    • the "P1: Hitachi" line allows to boot the HDD in Legacy (not-EFI) mode,
    • the "P3: DVD" line allows to boot the Ubuntu CD in Legacy mode
    • the "UEFI: USB" line allows to boot the Ubuntu liveUSB in EFI mode.
    1347270285.jpg
    Here is a 2nd example of BIOS, simpler, where the "Boot Mode" parameter allows one to choose the boot mode ("UEFI" or "Legacy") for all media (hard disk, CD, USB...) at the same time.
    1347270332.jpg
    Some other firmwares (BIOSes) propose an "UEFI/Legacy Boot:" option with the following choices: [Legacy only], [UEFI only] and [Both]. This last one boots in EFI mode when possible, then in Legacy mode if no EFI files are detected. "

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Firblog

Believe me there is no CSM or Legacy option anywhere in the BIOS menu that can be enabled on this machine, have now come across a Packard Bell machine with the same problem.
    What's going on with the manufacturers? Wonder why they are preventing booting from the DVD... trying to prevent people from putting on different O/S? or is it a Microsoft dictat?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

another asus yokie :
    Press “ESC” or “F2” to enter the BIOS setup
    Under the “Boot” tab, enable “Launch CSM”
    Under the “Security” tab, disable “Secure Boot Control”
    Save the changes and exit
    Press “ESC” or “F2” to enter the BIOS setup again
    Under the “Boot” tab, the DVD drive and available flash drives will appear. Set the DVD drive as the first boot option.
    Save the changes and exit

Can you PXE boot it instead ?

As said there is no CSM option anywhere.

I'm trying to make an image of the drive using a Norton Ghost DVD, so that I can then image the rest of the laptops to have the same setup, I don't know how I'd accomplish that with PXE (not being smart here - more than likely dumb, if there is a handy way of doing it i'd be grateful for a pointer as I've not utilized pxe boot before)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Have you tried turning off the UEFI Secure Boot?

I had awful problems getting W8 working with a HP UEFI W7 machine. In the end I used Gparted to remove all the secure partitions. Then installed Windows 8. But I don't remember if it used a legacy option or now. But most people shouldn't remove the partitions unless they have recovery disks and most won't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭anotherposter

disable boot protection or safe boot in the bios then it will allow you boot off the cd drive.

had to do it with my laptop too

Am sure I've tried every way to disable secure boot that these BIOS's offer, and no success. I must sit down and get images of all options available, and put them up here to get any suggestions..

Maybe I'm missing something blindingly obvious...

All replies so far are greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

TRY boot from usb, enable usb boot, usb legacy mode.
    you can boot up mint linux from a usb drive 1 gig,
    THEN backup all data to an external drive.
    older 32bit version of mint ,is 620meg approx.
    http://www.pendrivelinux.com/linux-mint-6-flash-drive-install-via-cd/

is external device boot, boot from usb ?
    or maybe borrow a usb cdrom drive ,use it as a boot device.
    or maybe a cd/dvd usb drive .

I used usb boot 1gig drive, to boot linux ,to back up 15gig data,
    before i reinstalled an os.
    NO linux install needed ,works like a live cd,boots os into ram.
    does not touch the hard disk with install files.

Can boot from USB ok but only the windows 8 recovery drive I made, no other usb device will appear in boot options when go to select boot option.

Just to say, I looked at BIOS in new Tosh today, and got it to boot from CD no bother... just checked for me own sanity, not going completely stupid..

Check there isn't a bios update available.

• Advertisement

beauf wrote: »
    Check there isn't a bios update available.

Aye, checked that too

IT seems we are going backwards, win 8 is a worst os,
    with a bios that may make it impossible to boot from cd.
    AT least on some pcs.
    ITS easy to put linux on a usb 1gig drive, and it behaves like a live cd,
    boots to ram.Enables file ,folder acess, and backup to a usb drive.

http://www.howtogeek.com/175641/how-to-boot-and-install-linux-on-a-uefi-pc-with-secure-boot/
    How to Disable Secure Boot
    You can control Secure Boot from your UEFI Firmware Settings screen. To access this screen, you’ll need to access the boot options menu in Windows 8. To do this, open the Settings charm — press Windows Key + I to open it — click the Power button, then press and hold the Shift key as you click Restart.

it says secure boot can be disabled.
    Boot From Removable Media

boot from usb .

You can boot from removable media by accessing the boot options menu in the same way — hold Shift while you click the Restart option. Insert your boot device of choice, select Use a device, and select the device you want to boot from.

After booting from the removable device, you can install Linux as you normally would or just use the live environment from the removable device without installing it.
    to copy files or backup files.

riclad wrote: »
    IT seems we are going backwards, win 8 is a worst os, with a bios ...

Its got nothing to do with Windows 8. The UEFI bios effects all OS including Liniux

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface#Linux

The problem here seems to be the BIOS is missing some functionality. Might appear in a new bios maybe?

http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/456084-asus-x551ca-boot-issue

Maybe its called something else in the BIOS though...

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2033112/win8.html
    http://forum.softpedia.com/topic/964317-instalare-win7-pe-asus-x551m/page__st__18

Maybe you'll have to create a uefi bootable Win8 image on usb?
    http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/15458-uefi-bootable-usb-flash-drive-create-windows.html

Maybe contact Norton Ghost support and see if they've a solution?

WE are going backwards. in that ms is making it harder to acess a pc,
    to boot from cd , or use a live cd,You paid for a pc, you should be able to go to bios, and select boot from cd .
    OR switch off uefi ,if you want.
    i mean for most people using a pc win8,is worse than windows 7,
    Unless you are using it on a tablet.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

WE are going backwards. in that ms is making it harder to acess a pc,
    to boot from cd , or use a live cd,You paid for a pc, you should be able to go to bios, and select boot from cd .
    OR switch off uefi ,if you want.
    i mean for most people using a pc win8,is worse than windows 7,
    Unless you are using it on a tablet.

Windows 8 is Windows 7 with a different UI and tweaks. UEFI and Secure boot are nothing to do with Microsoft.

Nick

WE are going backwards. in that ms is making it harder to acess a pc,...

MS don't make PC's or bios. Its got nothing to do with them.
    The original EFI (Extensible Firmware Interface) specification was developed by Intel. Some of its practices and data formats mirror ones from Windows.[4][5] In 2005, UEFI deprecated EFI 1.10 (final release of EFI). The UEFI specification is managed by the Unified EFI Forum.
    The interface defined by the EFI specification includes data tables that contain platform information, and boot and runtime services that are available to the OS loader and OS. UEFI firmware provides several technical advantages over a traditional BIOS system:[11]
    Ability to boot from large disks (over 2 TiB) with a GUID Partition Table, GPT.[12][13]
    CPU-independent architecture[12]
    CPU-independent drivers[12]
    Flexible pre-OS environment, including network capability
    Modular design

...for most people using a pc win8,is worse than windows 7....

What you mean is most people can't use Metro GUI.

You turn it off. Then Windows 8 looks the same as Windows 7 (for most people).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

beauf wrote: »
    What you mean is most people can't use Metro GUI.

You turn it off. Then Windows 8 looks the same as Windows 7 (for most people).

Exactly, installed Classic Shell on my dads new Windows 8.1 laptop. He sees no difference.. In fact he prefers it to XP that was on his previous laptop :pac:

Nick

Advertisement