Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proving Bank Fraud

Options
  • 18-03-2014 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭

Hi All, I'm hoping for some advice here on a fraud issue. My daugther is living in a flat in a different part of the country while attending college. Her ATM card was used to purchase goods from Amazon.co.uk around 4 weeks ago and when she contacted amazon they confrimed that a second account, in her name, was linked to her card details.
    under data protection laws they could not give her any info on that account even though its in her name with her details.
    After contacting open 24 they informed her that more money was spent using the details of her card. the money was spent on mobile phone credit and a pizza delivery. she explained the situation to the open 24 operator, and that she suspected her flatmate had stolen the details,but he told her that as they live together it is not considered fraud.
    the money could have been put on her phone, she may have eaten the pizza etc.
    meteor have been contacted and they have promised to investigate which phone the credit was applied to.
    we called into the bank but they insited we contact open 24.

any advice would be welcome, it is a small amount of money but it was all she had. a new card and pin are en route but there is no way to stop the flatmate from doing this again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

call them back and say you have no idea who stole your card? Why would you say you think its your flatmate? They told her the address the pizza was delivered to? Is that how she knew?

Simple call the bank, say the card was fraudulently used, get them to issue the new one. Let them follow up with the guards, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,632 ✭✭✭✭28064212

soups05 wrote: »
    a new card and pin are en route but there is no way to stop the flatmate from doing this again.
    :confused:

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

soups05 wrote: »
    a new card and pin are en route but there is no way to stop the flatmate from doing this again.
    Actually, there is. Click this link and it'll tell you how to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

Thanks for all the replies, got called away suddenly so did not get a chance to respond. the reason she belives its the flatmate is that the pizza and credit were purchased in dundalk on fri/sat. untill then she was in letterkenny and only came back thursday with the flatmate. no one in letterkenny has access to her details and no one from there lives in dundalk.
    the timing fits. plus the flatmate never has credit, but is suddenly ringing loads of people since they came home. not proof positive but a start i would say.
    i am just shocked that the bank refuse to deal with this just because they share a flat. i'm sure without the banks support the gardi will call it a "domestic" or some such rubbish. to me theft is theft, its accutally worse when your sharing a place with someone as the trust is broken.

the verified by visa link is a good one. thank you i never considered that, wil let her know

Advertisement