Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you a "Completionist"?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

I think achievements are a gimmick and they should get rid of them ASAP. Gaming pre achievement was a better experience.

I don't find they make any difference. I ignore them completely and they have no impact on the experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Yep. I can't leave a game till I do and get everything, get a perfect score on every mini game, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I think achievements are a gimmick and they should get rid of them ASAP. Gaming pre achievement was a better experience.

I have to agree. I don't really give a damn about them, but then when I'm playing, I start thinking should I read through them just to make sure I get them while I'm playing along and before I know it, I'm playing for the achievements rather than the game - and you can end up spoiling just by reading them!

As for playing a game completely, yes, I would try to finish it if I can. Or I used to, when I had less to play. If I really like the game, I will do everything in it, even some longer ones - Did all the side quests in Morrowind, Oblivion and Fallout 3, even some of the boring ones in Saints Row 3. Stacking was one of my favourites in the past year or two. Multiple solutions to each puzzle and I actually had fun figuring them out. It was just a pleasant length. Some games you try to do but the side missions are just complete bull****. E.g., Brutal Legend, tried to complete it in full - the side missions were horribly repetitive and then there was just find 200 dragons and something tacked on. Awful.
    I try to reach every location, but have no interest in "live without taking more than 25 damage, hopping on one leg with a gnome without saving for 30 hours" type achivements.

I wouldn't really have time nowadays and lately I've just taken up a policy of giving a few minutes to all these old games that I have backlogged. I just want to try some of them for even 30 minutes or an hour just to see what they're like with no intention of finishing them, and pick out a select few that I hear are promising or that grab my attention in some way.
    Generally, having a string of unskippable logos means that it gets relegated to the just-try-once pile, followed by an uninstall. I don't have time for that rubbish, never mind playing through some of them to the end.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

In a word, No.
    In a few words,
    I have good intentions but seldom finish games these days.
    If I buy an RPG it's far more likely it'll get an hour or two before winding up on the shelf.
    That said I did complete Fallout 3.
    Id love to finish more though, and there's games there I still imagine myself returning to beat, but that too is unlikely with the pace of new purchases becoming ever more, well, rapid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

My name is a lie, I haven't finished a game in years!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I was half considering going for the platinum in South Park but it seems like unless you knew the trophies in advance, you can't do it in one playthrough. That kind of stuff annoys me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Penn wrote: »
    I was half considering going for the platinum in South Park but it seems like unless you knew the trophies in advance, you can't do it in one playthrough. That kind of stuff annoys me.

Lord almighty I feel that pain. Tomb Raider on PS4. Nearly cried after I finished the story, then looked at what trophies I had left and realized I had to start over again to get the rest of those "missable" trophies

• Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Used to be. Then I realised that life's too short. Just enjoy the games, finish them at a difficulty that's comfortable to you, and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

I have an awful habit of starting games and not finishing them. I find though that I generally finish stealth-based games when I play them (Thief Series, Dishonoured etc) and some tactical based games like the X-COM series. I'm woeful for not finishing FPS/RPG games though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I should probably admit I'm currently grinding through raising, racing and breeding Chobocos on FF7 Vita to get a gold one and the knights of the round in order to beat the Ruby monster. This will take me longer than it takes to complete most games but it passes the time on the Dart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,182 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Achievements made me more of a completionist than I was. Some games in the pre-achievement days, like GTAIII to SA, I would 100%; while other games I'd be happy just completing the story once. Then, when the Xbox 360 came along, 1000 points became the new 100% mark. I'd try my best to complete games fully. This lead to me grinding some games (playing all difficulty levels in Hitman Blood Money), including multiplayer (The Darkness).

Now, I think I've weaned myself off achievements somewhat. I don't care any more about getting x number of kills with each weapon in the game (Uncharted), or meaningless collectables (ACII). If the collectables actually give you something in game I'll look out for them, but if they're just gamelength++ I don't go out of my way for them. If I get an achievement while playing the story, great, but I'm mainly here for the story.

Some games I still try to 100% complete. These are mainly games I've enjoyed and I don't want to stop playing just yet (Sleeping Dogs), or games where I've nearly got all the achievement/trophies from one playthrough, so I keep going (Mark of the Ninja, Thomas Was Alone).

With a growing backlog, I'm trying to experience more games in the playing time I have, rather than stick at one game to get some obscure objective. I don't look back at achievement hunting as a waste of time though. If it wasn't for achievements, I mightn't have replayed some games that are better on their hardest difficulty (Bionic Commando), or I might have skipped multiplayer/co-op and missed out on some good fun (Crackdown, Gears 2).

I've a spreadsheet to keep track of my backlog (metagame!), and I check off games based on Story Complete and 100% Complete. I'm happy just completing the story now, but if I'm playing an RPG or other big game, I won't skip side quests just to mainline the story. I have completionist tendencies, but I can control them... I swear :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

If I finish the story element of a game, I'll consider it complete. My backlog is such that if I ever completed all the story modes, I'd be over the bloody moon about it.

I don't have enough patience to find random collectibles when there are so many more interesting things to do in others games.

Once the story is finished then I'm generally done with a game unless I decide to replay it sometime down the line. Trophies and achievements never appealed to me and I can never understand why anyone would want to pump hour after hour into a game simply to unlock them, when there's so many great games out there waiting to be played.

Advertisement