Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog flea treatment: Prac-tic - any info?

• 18-03-2014 3:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭

Have been using Frontline Spot-On but was wondering if Prac-tic was better?

Found very little info online. Anyone any links showing that Prac-tic might be better?

Frontline has the main ingredient Fipronil. Prac-tic has Pyriprole which I think is just a variation of Fipronil. (I think the patent is up on Fipronil so there are now more generic products available cheaper.)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I'm not sure if it's licensed for them, but Prac-tic is pretty much the only spot-on treatment that I have found reliably kills off harvest mites. We've also found it great for the usual suspects, fleas and ticks.
    It also smells lovely!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭odckdo

I only found one study comparing Pyriprole and Fipronil but this was conducted by the people who make Prac-tic. I am surprised there is not more comparisons of the different products. I suppose it depends too on the dog and its environment. I think Frontline is still a good product. Not sure what to do as Prac-tic works out more expensive than Frontline Spot-on and with a few dogs it adds up over the year.

www.jarvm.com/articles/Vol7Iss1n2/Hosking.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭snoman

DBB wrote: »
    I'm not sure if it's licensed for them, but Prac-tic is pretty much the only spot-on treatment that I have found reliably kills off harvest mites. We've also found it great for the usual suspects, fleas and ticks.
    It also smells lovely!

Can you buy Prac Tic over the counter or is it only by prescription?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

snoman wrote: »
    Can you buy Prac Tic over the counter or is it only by prescription?

I don't know, tbh. I think it's only available from vets, but you can buy it from them without a consult, same as Advocate. I think!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭odckdo

You can get Prac-tic cheaper online (without the need of a script) - vetuk, animeddirect, etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement