Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refused Apartment

Options
  • 18-03-2014 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭

I've recently been refused from renting an apartment because the LL doesn't want a single bloke in his premises???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

dar100 wrote: »
    I've recently been refused from renting an apartment because the LL doesn't want a single bloke in his premises???

What did the police say when you rang them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

bumper234 wrote: »
    What did the police say when you rang them?

Don't take any advice of feck wits

Don't take any advice of feck wits

Seriously, a LL can choose to rent to whoever they want. Single lads could mean parties every weekend and drunken antics so maybe would prefer a professional couple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

Refusal to grant a tenancy
    Equality legislation applies to lettings and accommodation. You cannot discriminate against potential tenants on grounds of gender, civil status, family status, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, race or membership of the Travelling Community
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/landlords_rights_and_obligations.html

And that is why I made this post, there is 9 area's in which a person providing goods cannot discriminate against, Gender been one of them. Bumper, YOUR WRONG

• Advertisement

Seriously, a LL can choose to rent to whoever they want. Single lads could mean parties every weekend and drunken antics so maybe would prefer a professional couple.

A number of assumptions and generalisations your making there, and as it happens, no they can't do as they please.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Mrs W

I'd be more concerned that I single person wouldn't be able to afford it on his own so would prefer a couple

And that is why I made this post, there is 9 area's in which a person providing goods cannot discriminate against, Gender been one of them. Bumper, YOUR WRONG

Oh i know they are not supposed to do that but at the end of the day some LL's are dicks and unless you have him on tape stating that's the reason he won't rent to you then you have no comeback.

Oh i know they are not supposed to do that but at the end of the day some LL's are dicks and unless you have him on tape stating that's the reason he won't rent to you then you have no comeback.

I actually have it in text message, so I will be making a formal complaint

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

A number of assumptions and generalisations your making there, and as it happens, no they can't do as they please.

What is the point of this thread, OP? Do you intend to make a complaint about the LL? Good luck proving anything

Of 10 people that see an apartment, 9 will be refused. Some of them might be women, or single guys. Christ.....the LL has just made a choice. They can't rent it to everyone.

• Advertisement

Mrs W wrote: »
    I'd be more concerned that I single person wouldn't be able to afford it on his own so would prefer a couple

That's a fair point, but I can, otherwise I wouldn't be trying to rent

So did he definitely say he won't rent to you because you are single?

What is the point of this thread, OP? Do you intend to make a complaint about the LL? Good luck proving anything

Of 10 people that see an apartment, 9 will be refused. Some of them might be women, or single guys. Christ.....the LL has just made a choice. They can't rent it to everyone.

Well I have the text message, saying why they wont rent to me, I'm a single bloke, so my message is valid. And given the fact that this is a public forum, I will choose to put what message I wont on it.

If you don't like it, don't post on it. Simple

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I actually have it in text message, so I will be making a formal complaint

Formal complaint to who? And what do you hope to achieve by it?

So did he definitely say he won't rent to you because you are single?

Single and due to my gender

Single and due to my gender

So what's your next course of action?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

I'm pretty sure those 9 reasons relate to employment law and that a landlord can discriminate between potential tenants in any way they see fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

If you don't mind me asking, what exactly does the message say ? Word for word.

Red Kev wrote: »
    If you don't mind me asking, what exactly does the message say ? Word for word.

Nope, the 9 area's relate to employment, goods and services, vocational/educational issues etc, as I said been a bloke and been single.

There is a little thing called equality, and it needs to be applied universally, people cannot just cherry pick how to apply it

Nope, the 9 area's relate to employment, goods and services, vocational/educational issues etc, as I said been a bloke and been single.

There is a little thing called equality, and it needs to be applied universally, people cannot just cherry pick how to apply it

So what does the text message say?

• Advertisement

Tails142 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure those 9 reasons relate to employment law and that a landlord can discriminate between potential tenants in any way they see fit.

No, are LL something special. Would it be any different then saying I'm not renting to you because your black?? of course not

So what does the text message say?

I've repeatedly stated what the text message says. " Sorry my name, landlord is not willing to let the apartment to single bloke, sorry"

Direct quote

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Fair play OP. I hope this LL gets a rude awakening from the Equality Authority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

There's an exemption in the Equal Status Act that allows a person providing accommodation to choose who they rent to.

http://www.culturewise.ie/equal-check/pdf/the_equal_status_acts_2000_and_2004_1.pdf
    3) Risk of criminal or disorderly conduct
    A provider of good/services, or a person providing accommodation or related services, can refuse service/accommodation to a person if a reasonable individual, having the knowledge and experience of the provider, would form the belief that the provision of service/accommodation to the customer would produce a substantial risk of criminal or disorderly conduct or behaviour, or damage to property in or around the area where the service is provided.

The Dagda wrote: »
    There's an exemption in the Equal Status Act that allows a person providing accommodation to choose who they rent to.

http://www.culturewise.ie/equal-check/pdf/the_equal_status_acts_2000_and_2004_1.pdf

I've had a quick scan, you may be right, so much for the use of the word equality,

There is absolutely no way they can make such a judgement, after a 10 minute meeting

I've had a quick scan, you may be right, so much for the use of the word equality,

You don't think it's fair that the owner of the property can choose who they rent that property to?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭wench

Only if the accommodation is in their own home.
    If they are renting out a separate premises, then they can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

To be honest, the only issue here is the fact that they were stupid enough to actually say to you why they arent renting to you. If they dont want to rent to you then there is no obligation for them to do so, nor are they obliged to give you a reason as to why you were refused. They just needed to be a bit smarter with how they spoke to you,

You are better off just moving on and forgetting it; its not worth the time or hassle.

• Advertisement

wench wrote: »
    Only if the accommodation is in their own home.
    If they are renting out a separate premises, then they can't.

Read the section on General Exemptions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement