Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refused Apartment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

djimi wrote: »
    To be honest, the only issue here is the fact that they were stupid enough to actually say to you why they arent renting to you. If they dont want to rent to you then there is no obligation for them to do so, nor are they obliged to give you a reason as to why you were refused. They just needed to be a bit smarter with how they spoke to you,

You are better off just moving on and forgetting it; its not worth the time or hassle.

Would you feel the same if the LL had texted "Sorry, no blacks"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

To be honest, the only issue here is the fact that they were stupid enough to actually say to you why they arent renting to you. If they dont want to rent to you then there is no obligation for them to do so, nor are they obliged to give you a reason as to why you were refused. They just needed to be a bit smarter with how they spoke to you,

You are better off just moving on and forgetting it; its not worth the time or hassle.

It was the agent who said it, not the LL.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,509 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Am I the only one who thinks there is something more to this. the text message suggests its an EA sent the message so the LL could claim he/she said nothing of the sort. "Sorry my name, landlord is not willing to let the apartment to single bloke, sorry".
    So who exactly sent you the text message?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

There's a different between picking your preferred tenant from the people that showed up, and ruling out a chunk of them out of hand for no reason. If only single blokes had showed up, would this landlord have kept the place on the market turning down applicants till a couple had come along? Because if so, that's discrimination and illegal.

If the text had just said 'Sorry dar100, we gave the place to someone else', then there'd be no issue (or even thread). Because OP could take it in good faith that the landlord had decided based on the whole picture. The text tells us that either they decided based on discriminatory grounds, or really should rethink how they communicate in their business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

No, the issue here is what they have done! And the fact that people like you think it's ok

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

Maybe he just didn't like you?! Your attitude doesn't seem to be great TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

davo2001 wrote: »

Some impressive victim blaming there...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

MadsL wrote: »
    Would you feel the same if the LL had texted "Sorry, no blacks"?

Yes, I would.

What would you honestly hope to gain from pursuing the matter further?

And either would yours, if you had no accommodation to live in, and individuals with vested interests on here telling you to forget about it, let it go etc.

My attitude when treated right is one of reciprocity.

When you challenge the status quo, this is what happens, individuals seek to undermine and silly you.

Wont happen here dav2001

dar100 wrote: »
    No, the issue here is what they have done! And the fact that people like you think it's ok

Again, what do you hope to gain from this? An apology? Youre not going to be getting the apartment, and even if they were to offer it to you now I doubt you want to deal with them.

I dont think its okay for the record. But I do feel that life is too short to waste time making an issue over this, when you are better off just forgetting about it and moving on.

• Advertisement

And that would be totally ok. If the text had read "Sorry dar100, landlord is not willing to let the apartment to pricks, sorry" that would be legal discrimination.

Discrimination itself is fine, discrimation on the grounds of gender, civil status, family status, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, race or membership of the Travelling Community.

Legal discrimination:
    "Sorry dar100, landlord is not willing to let the apartment to Americans, sorry"
    "Sorry dar100, landlord is not willing to let the apartment to gingers, sorry"
    "Sorry dar100, landlord is not willing to let the apartment to Man United fans, sorry"
    "Sorry dar100, landlord is not willing to let the apartment to software developers, sorry"
    "Sorry dar100, landlord is not willing to let the apartment to motorcycle enthusiasts, sorry"
    "Sorry dar100, landlord is not willing to let the apartment to people named Fred, sorry"

Illegal Discrimation:
    "Sorry dar100, landlord is not willing to let the apartment to men, sorry"
    "Sorry dar100, landlord is not willing to let the apartment to married couples, sorry"
    "Sorry dar100, landlord is not willing to let the apartment to gays, sorry"
    "Sorry dar100, landlord is not willing to let the apartment to protestants, sorry"
    "Sorry dar100, landlord is not willing to let the apartment to old people, sorry"
    "Sorry dar100, landlord is not willing to let the apartment to blacks, sorry"
    "Sorry dar100, landlord is not willing to let the apartment to travellers, sorry"

and individuals with vested interests on here telling you to forget about it, let it go etc.

Why do these threads descend into this when people dont get told what they want to hear? I have no connection to renting other than I am a tenant myself. Im simply giving my opinion.

Again, what do you hope to gain from this? An apology? Youre not going to be getting the apartment, and even if they were to offer it to you now I doubt you want to deal with them.

I dont think its okay for the record. But I do feel that life is too short to waste time making an issue over this, when you are better off just forgetting about it and moving on.

I hear what your saying, but if we were all to take that stance, then no social change/justice will ever happen.

This is not ok, sure, I may never get the apartment, and tbh, I don't want it now anyway.

But, I also don't want the next apartment I do go for, to be the same.

Sure this happens ALL the time, but in this instance they went about it wrong, the rules of the game were broke, so to speak

Why do these threads descend into this when people dont get told what they want to hear? I have no connection to renting other than I am a tenant myself. Im simply giving my opinion.[/QUOTE]

And I'm giving mine

• Registered Users Posts: 30,560 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Maybe the landlord thought you looked dodgy, maybe you smelt of smoke, maybe they thought you were rude/wouldn't look after the apartment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

The landlord is entitled to rent to whomesoever he wishes.

His only mistake was giving a reason as to why he wouldn't rent to the OP.

If there were only two aplicants for the apartment (or for a job )- one a black woman and the other a white man, it's not discrimination to choose one over the other.

You are not obliged to give any reason for your choice.

Same goes for refusals in a pub... no reason needs to be given.

And I'm giving mine

Using a smartarse tone to accuse me of having a vested interest is not expressing an opinion, it is an attempt to belittle mine.

Maybe the landlord thought you looked dodgy, maybe you smelt of smoke, maybe they thought you were rude/wouldn't look after the apartment.

But he didn't and thats the point, the reason was been male and single, and that is where the problem lies, FOR HIM

I hear what your saying, but if we were all to take that stance, then no social change/justice will ever happen.

This is not ok, sure, I may never get the apartment, and tbh, I don't want it now anyway.

But, I also don't want the next apartment I do go for, to be the same.

Sure this happens ALL the time, but in this instance they went about it wrong, the rules of the game were broke, so to speak

Its an honorable stance, but I dont know how you intend to even being pursuing the matter? And for what gain?

Using a smartarse tone to accuse me of having a vested interest is not expressing an opinion, it is an attempt to belittle mine.

I didn't direct the statement at you, your inferring

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i think you need to grow up and stop being petty, if you spent the time lamenting over this looking for another apt, you'd probably feel alot better about the whole thing and probably have found a place

I didn't direct the statement at you

Yes you did, as I am one of the people telling you to forget about it, let it go etc (your words).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

There is absolutely no way they can make such a judgement, after a 10 minute meeting

Most people make up their minds on such matters in under a second.

Its an honorable stance, but I dont know how you intend to even being pursuing the matter? And for what gain?

Perhaps the gain will be inherent in the act itself, having my voice heard, trying to right a perceived wrong, or just saying, hey this is not ok:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭jane82

There are quite a few people with vested interests here I have noticed from reading here. Every thread seems to put landlords on one side and tenants on another.
    You probably could get him punished for it. It probably would make newspapers. It probably would lead to landlords being more careful with the openness of their discrimination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

You dont see this much hype over "no RA"...

Yes you did, as I am one of the people telling you to forget about it, let it go etc (your words).

Again, I did not use your name, it was a general statement, which your choosing to personalise:)

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    You dont see this much hype over "no RA"...

That's because "no RA" is completely legal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

wow this thread is a train wreck already.
    OP, if you are pursuing this it will take time.

• Advertisement

i think you need to grow up and stop being petty, if you spent the time lamenting over this looking for another apt, you'd probably feel alot better about the whole thing and probably have found a place

Ah heres me thinking moving out on my own was grown up and responsible.:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement