Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refused Apartment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

djimi wrote: »
    Yes, I would.

Shocking tbh.
    What would you honestly hope to gain from pursuing the matter further?

And if Rosa Parks had not refused to move?

I think every right-thinking person has a duty to challenge bigoted attitudes, if we tolerate this LL being blatent, then as you have said we also tolerate other discrimination.

I think the OP is bang-on in making a complaint. One less LL who thinks they can do as they like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

Mrs W wrote: »
    I'd be more concerned that I single person wouldn't be able to afford it on his own so would prefer a couple

why would anybody apply for a place they couldn't affoard?
    I know lots of single people that earn more than other couples combined salaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

dar100 wrote: »
    Perhaps the gain will be inherent in the act itself, having my voice heard, trying to right a perceived wrong, or just saying, hey this is not ok:)

Having your voice heard how though? Im not actually arguing with you on this; I genuinely have no idea how you would go about pursuing this even if you wanted to. I doubt the Gardai would take too much of an interest in it. Would you be looking to get the courts involved?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Raphael wrote: »
    That's because "no RA" is completely legal.

I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

No, are LL something special. Would it be any different then saying I'm not renting to you because your black?? of course not

As you say the equal status act refers to discrimination in the provision of goods and services

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2000/en/act/pub/0008/

“goods” means any articles of movable property;

“service” means a service or facility of any nature which is available to the public generally or a section of the public, and without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing, includes—
    (a) access to and the use of any place,
    (b) facilities for—
    (i) banking, insurance, grants, loans, credit or financing,
    (ii) entertainment, recreation or refreshment,
    (iii) cultural activities, or
    (iv) transport or travel,
    (c) a service or facility provided by a club (whether or not it is a club holding a certificate of registration under the Registration of Clubs Acts, 1904 to 1999) which is available to the public generally or a section of the public, whether on payment or without payment, and
    (d) a professional or trade service,

I am saying that the equal status act doesnt apply to renting a house to a tenant as its not a service which is made generally available to the public.

In my opinion the landlord can discriminate any way he wants and there is no law to prevent him.

• Advertisement

i think you need to grow up and stop being petty, if you spent the time lamenting over this looking for another apt, you'd probably feel alot better about the whole thing and probably have found a place

Excuse you?

This is not a matter of finding a place, it is standing up to illegal discrimination.

Telling the poster to "grow up" says a lot more about you than him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

djimi wrote: »
    Having your voice heard how though? Im not actually arguing with you on this; I genuinely have no idea how you would go about pursuing this even if you wanted to. I doubt the Gardai would take too much of an interest in it. Would you be looking to get the courts involved?

The Equality Authority will be a start I'd imagine, after that I'm unsure, I'd also imagine, the same agency that I would report the situation to if I was been discriminated against for been black, traveler etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

Tails142 wrote: »
    I am saying that the equal status act doesnt apply to renting a house to a tenant as its not a service which is made generally available to the public.

In my opinion the landlord can discriminate any way he wants and there is no law to prevent him.

it certainly applies, i hope you are not a landlord

The Equality Authority will be a start I'd imagine, after that I'm unsure, I'd also imagine, the same agency that I would report the situation to if I was been discriminated against for been black, traveler etc

http://www.equality.ie/Files/Guide-to-the-Equal-Status-Acts-2000-2008.pdf
    page 27 onwards
    its all fairly easy to follow

As you say the equal status act refers to discrimination in the provision of goods and services

“service” means a service or facility of any nature which is available to the public generally or a section of the public, and without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing, includes—
    (b) facilities for—
    (c) a service or facility provided by a club (whether or not it is a club holding a certificate of registration under the Registration of Clubs Acts, 1904 to 1999) which is available to the public generally or a section of the public, whether on payment or without payment, and

Your wrong, go google it, equality is a universal issue. End of

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

MadsL wrote: »
    Excuse you?

This is not a matter of finding a place, it is standing up to illegal discrimination.

Telling the poster to "grow up" says a lot more about you than him.

standing up how exactly, a strongly worded email to a red top rag? Joe Duffy I guess would probably do a piece on it too, but most people would draw a line under it, realise that the world isnt equal and accept that sometimes you might need to accept these 'hard truths'. I'm more surprised at the amount of support he's getting for this.

(b) facilities for—

You are simply wrong.
    http://www.culturewise.ie/equal-check/pdf/the_equal_status_acts_2000_and_2004_1.pdf
    The general rule is that there can be no discrimination on
    the specified grounds in relation to:
    • Disposing of any estate
    • Terminating a tenancy
    • Providing accommodation or any accommodation related
    services or amenities
    • Ceasing to provide accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Don't take any advice of feck wits

Maybe, possibly, only a theory now, it was your attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

subway wrote: »
    it certainly applies, i hope you are not a landlord

I would likely discriminate in the exact same way. I would rather rent to a couple than a single guy. Nor would rent to a traveler. But I wouldn't tell anyone by text the reason.

The OP is supposedly doing this for what they perceive as honorable reasons, rather than just being vincidctive and to get back at a LL that they are upset with. But do you really think that it is going to change any attitudes? Of course not, the only thing it will change is to make sure that no reason is ever given to a tenant who has lost out

Every LL makes decisions like this. the OP is just picking on this one for maybe being a bit dim.

standing up how exactly, a strongly worded email to a red top rag? Joe Duffy I guess would probably do a piece on it too, but most people would draw a line under it, realise that the world isnt equal and accept that sometimes you might need to accept these 'hard truths'. I'm more surprised at the amount of support he's getting for this.
    and would you feel the same if the OP was refused for being gay?

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-25119158

I would likely discriminate in the exact same way. I would rather rent to a couple than a single guy. Nor would rent to a traveler. But I wouldn't tell anyone by text the reason.
    so you are a self confessed bigot, congrats :confused:

We have laws that deal with this. The Equal Status Act for one. Perhaps black people should get to the back of the bus "realise that the world isnt equal and accept that sometimes you might need to accept these 'hard truths'."

Are you surprised at the support gay people get to marry whom they wish?

Discrimination in all forms should be challenged at all time. The Equality Authority has far more teeth than Joe Duffy. I'm not sure why you are belittling this man's legal and legitimate complaint. Quite bizarrre.

Perhaps the support comes from the fact that others also believe in equality.

cursai wrote: »
    Maybe, possibly, only a theory now, it was your attitude.

More victim-shaming. Tut tut.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    You dont see this much hype over "no RA"...

Now Gerry Adams can't even rent a house?
    And as for comparing the op to Rosa Parks-this is one of the greatest threads ever!!!

• Advertisement

so you are a self confessed bigot, congrats :confused:

Its my house. I want to have the least risk of it being trashed. Therefore professional couples only. You see that in plenty of ads!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

If you read the act I link you'll see that the accomodation referred to relates to hotels, boarding houses etc.

A house or apartment being let individually by a landlord is considered 'small premises' under the act and is exempt under the Equality Act.

) Premises shall be treated for the purposes of paragraphs (b) and (d) of subsection (2) as small premises if—
    (a) in the case of premises comprising residential accommodation for more than one household, there is not normally accommodation in the premises for more than three households, or
    (b) in any other case, there is not normally residential accommodation in the premises for more than six persons in addition to a person mentioned in those paragraphs and any persons residing with that person.

You can go on crying in this thread all you want but no law is being broken by saying I dont want to rent my house to a single man.

Its my house. I want to have the least risk of it being trashed. Therefore professional couples only. You see that in plenty of ads!!

It is a service that you provide so you have to do so within the laws of the land.

have a look at the reasons behind your decision in assuming someone will thrash your house.
    they are bigoted and you are ok with that. i dont know if you are trying to impress people but i find it embarassing. do you rent to blacks?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Perhaps the support comes from the fact that others also believe in equality.

you do realise you are fighting over being treated differently for being single... this is ridiculous

single blokes united

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

More victim-shaming. Tut tut.

I agree. The person on the receiving end of a bad attitude is a victim.

It is a service that you provide so you have to do so within the laws of the land.

I am!! Tails is right

you do realise you are fighting over being treated differently for being single... this is ridiculous

single blokes united

No, two area's, gender and Family Status.

I wonder if your thinking would be the same if the inequality was no women with kids allowed????

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

have a look at the reasons behind your decision in assuming someone will thrash your house.
    they are bigoted and you are ok with that. i dont know if you are trying to impress people but i find it embarassing. do you rent to blacks?

If you had to choose between five suitable candidates when renting an apartment Id say that you would be very hard pressed to find a way to do so without some form of prejudice entering your line of thinking.

Most people just wouldnt be as stupid as this landlord was and actually tell the candidate why they are not being chosen...

• Advertisement

of course. Why would I not? :confused: As long as they were professionals, and not students

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement