Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refused Apartment

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

MadsL wrote: »
    We have laws that deal with this. The Equal Status Act for one. Perhaps black people should get to the back of the bus "realise that the world isnt equal and accept that sometimes you might need to accept these 'hard truths'."

Are you surprised at the support gay people get to marry whom they wish?

Discrimination in all forms should be challenged at all time. The Equality Authority has far more teeth than Joe Duffy. I'm not sure why you are belittling this man's legal and legitimate complaint. Quite bizarrre.

shame they are not enforced
    Have a look on daft.ie, that amount of rooms for rent that say "females only" is crazy.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

dar100 wrote: »
    No, two area's, gender and Family Status.

I wonder if your thinking would be the same if the inequality was no women with kids allowed????

depends if they're single or not :p

not really

my point is we all know a ll can pick whoever he wants, equality is of no cencern to him, he just shouldnt have said it to you, so you seem to be fighting over his slip on tongue really? What do you want to do? name and shame him? He is not acting any different to almost every other landlord, he just let it slip to you the real reason as to something vague and 'pc'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

of course. Why would I not? :confused: As long as they were professionals, and not students
    just checking you understand the concept of discrimination.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Tails142 wrote: »
    If you read the act I link you'll see that the accomodation referred to relates to hotels, boarding houses etc.

A house or apartment being let individually by a landlord is considered 'small premises' under the act and is exempt under the Equality Act.

) Premises shall be treated for the purposes of paragraphs (b) and (d) of subsection (2) as small premises if—
    (a) in the case of premises comprising residential accommodation for more than one household, there is not normally accommodation in the premises for more than three households, or
    (b) in any other case, there is not normally residential accommodation in the premises for more than six persons in addition to a person mentioned in those paragraphs and any persons residing with that person.

You can go on crying in this thread all you want but no law is being broken by saying I dont want to rent my house to a single man.

The provision of rented accommodation is considered a service under the Equal Status Acts which prohibit discrimination, directly or indirectly, on nine grounds.

Civil Status (Changed from marital status following the enactment of "Civil Partnership and Certain Rights and Obligations of Cohabitants Acts 2010)
    Family status
    Sexual orientation
    Religion
    Membership of the Traveller community
    Disability
    Also, a person cannot be discrimitated against or victimised by association.

NB: Refusal to accept Rent Supplement is not considered discrimination under the Acts

Where the accommodation is being offered in a person's own home, that is you are sharing with the home owner, a licence agreement exists and the Act does not apply..

http://www.threshold.ie/advice/seeking-private-rented-accommodation/equal-status-acts-2000-2008/

djimi wrote: »
    If you had to choose between five suitable candidates when renting an apartment Id say that you would be very hard pressed to find a way to do so without some form of prejudice entering your line of thinking.

Most people just wouldnt be as stupid as this landlord was and actually tell the candidate why they are not being chosen...
    i find this response very depressing. i doubt i can reason with someone as close minded as you. all the best :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

subway wrote: »
    just checking you understand the concept of discrimination.

To be honest, I'm not at all sure what you're getting at

i find this response very depressing. i doubt i can reason with someone as close minded as you. all the best :(

What would you do? Rent it to all 5!?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

I cant help that threshold provide inaccurate information.

The act clearly says that it doesnt apply to a landlord letting a single apartment/house.

have a look at the reasons behind your decision in assuming someone will thrash your house.
    they are bigoted and you are ok with that. i dont know if you are trying to impress people but i find it embarassing. do you rent to blacks?

how are they bigoted exactly?
    is it bigoted by car insurance companies to charge more for insurance for males under 25?
    not renting to students is very very different to not renting to blacks.

To be honest, I'm not at all sure what you're getting at
    i wouldn't doubt that.

i'll try explain it but i wont waste both our time much longer.

you are a bigot, you discriminate on protected grounds. you are aware that discriminating on the protected grounds is wrong so you are not an uninformed bigot, you are one by informed choice.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

If you had to choose between five suitable candidates when renting an apartment Id say that you would be very hard pressed to find a way to do so without some form of prejudice entering your line of thinking.

Most people just wouldnt be as stupid as this landlord was and actually tell the candidate why they are not being chosen...

i think this is the key point alot here are missing

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Im not closed minded, just realistic. You have two sets of candidates and you need to pick one then there is going to be something about one of them that leads to you not picking them. Doesnt have to be something as major as gender, race etc, but ultimately it will be something.

i wouldn't doubt that.

i'll try explain it but i wont waste both our time much longer.

you are a bigot, you discriminate on protected grounds. you are aware that discriminating on the protected grounds is wrong so you are not an uninformed bigot, you are one by informed choice.

I'm bigoted because I would rent to a professional couple over a single guy?

You have a funny definition of the word 'bigoted'!!

is it bigoted by car insurance companies to charge more for insurance for males under 25?
    bigotry:
    Bigotry is the state of mind of a bigot: someone who, as a result of their prejudices, treats or views other people with fear, distrust, hatred, contempt, or intolerance on the basis of a person's opinion, ethnicity, race, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, socioeconomic status, or other characteristics.

regarding car insurance, absolutely its discrimination, unfortunately legal, but not forever i hope
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0301/298192-insurance/

sure look up a definition and see which of us is right

you are worse for feeding him

• Registered Users Posts: 6,826 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Yes!
    Didnt insurance companies have to change the seperate prices for males and females?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

syklops wrote: »
    Most people make up their minds on such matters in under a second.

Which can't be prejudicial, and if you are don't text the reason. There would be no discussion on this if a LL didn't lend to a Polish guy.
    Tails142 wrote: »
    I cant help that threshold provide inaccurate information.

The act clearly says that it doesnt apply to a landlord letting a single apartment/house.

It does, it does. You are only exempt when you live there yourself.

sorry. I'm normally so good. I got sucked in.

Im not closed minded, just realistic. You have two sets of candidates and you need to pick one then there is going to be something about one of them that leads to you not picking them. Doesnt have to be something as major as gender, race etc, but ultimately it will be something.

ok, there are 4 people to choose from, pick one to rent to:
    a single man
    a single man
    a single man
    a single man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Who says the single (as in one, not in the married sense) man looking to rent the room isn't married but working away from home. Is that still discriminating based on civil status? How can you discriminate against a married man for being single?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

There is no trolling here. IT's THE LAW.

Jesus wept. You may argue that the LL shouldn't have texted the reason, but he had no right in law to his reason. ( However well hid that is normally, it isn't here).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Subway - if you cannot engage the other members of this forum in a civil manner without resorting to insults please desist from posting. This is your one and only warning, any further abuse from you aimed towards other posters will result in a ban.

sorry. I'm normally so good. I got sucked in.

really great points

a single man
    a single man
    a single man
    a single man

I would go with the one who seemed the most sensible, with the most stable job. May well prove to be the oldest of the 4.

Of course I wouldn't tell the others the reason

What would you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

a single man
    a single man
    a single man
    a single man

Are you asking me how would I choose between four absolutely identical candidates? :confused:

Are you asking me how would I choose between four absolutely identical candidates? :confused:
    it was more to point out the fallacy in choosing (or not) someone based on that reason as it doesnt give you any info about them,

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

i think this is the key point alot here are missing

You mean apart from your expressed need for the OP to "grow up"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

a single man
    a single man
    a single man
    a single man

You have the option of refusing all four, without giving any reason.

• Advertisement

bigotry:
    Bigotry is the state of mind of a bigot: someone who, as a result of their prejudices, treats or views other people with fear, distrust, hatred, contempt, or intolerance on the basis of a person's opinion, ethnicity, race, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, socioeconomic status, or other characteristics.

regarding car insurance, absolutely its discrimination, unfortunately legal, but not forever i hope
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0301/298192-insurance/

don't worry, I can also copy and paste a definition of Bigotry from google too.
    so, based on your definition above, how is an ad that says "professional couple only" bigoted? If the LL only intends to rent to a professional couple, why waste their time, and the time of other people looking to rent the flat, if they have no intention of getting it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement