Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shark RAW helmet

• 18-03-2014 4:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭

Hey everybody.

Bought a helmet of bikeworld last summer and this happened.
    Hi,

My name is Ayrton Farrell and I bought a Shark Raw helmet from you on the 27th of July last year.

The helmet so far has served me well. It is very comfortable allowing me to wear my glasses while riding and is also lightweight and easy to turn your head in.

However last friday (14/03/14) as I was putting the helmet on before heading home from work, one of the straps which holds the mask in place came loose from its fitting. I was forced to ride my bike home with no eye or face protection because of this.

I would understand if the strap broke as that would suggest carelessness or excessive force on my part. However it didn't and simply came loose.

Is it possible for this to be repaired ? I've tried numerous times without success to put the strap back in place but the hook to which it attaches is closed off and can't be accessed. Could you please advise me on how to proceed with this ? Are you liable for the repairs/replacement ?

Ive attached pictures of the helmet in question as well as a copy of my receipt.

I look forward to hearing your response.

All the best,

Ayrton Farrell.

Anyways I just sent off an email to them so im waiting to hear there response.

What do you guys thinks ? Whos responsible ? SHARK or Bikeworld ? Anything else I should be aware of ? Has anybody ever had a problem like this before ?

Im just about to send of an email to SHARK now as well. Ill post the responses when I get them.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Had one of these on a few times and while they look decent the quality did not seem to be the best which was surprising for SHARK. Hope you get sorted fella....Nevis UK are the distributor for UK and Ireland get in contact with them if nothing else works. I would also contact SHARK direct in France, they got back to me twice very quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Those who sold it to you are responsible under Irish consumer law I believe. So Bikeworld. But only if it's still within warrenty or it was a fault from manufacture. My guess is Bikeworld will fix it for you, it's not worth losing a customer over say it's not their fault.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klm5vdyZbaI

This video tells me that you can take off the fitting piece... have you tried to take off the black fitting piece and put the band back on when the fitting isn't on the helmet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Those who sold it to you are responsible under Irish consumer law I believe. So Bikeworld. But only if it's still within warrenty or it was a fault from manufacture. My guess is Bikeworld will fix it for you, it's not worth losing a customer over say it's not their fault.

This is the way to deal with it. Bikeworld is the only company you have to deal with. They have to offer you either a repair, replacement or refund and if they don't resolve the problem then you get onto the Small Claims Court.

Personally I wouldn't try taking the helmet apart. There's a chance that BW could say that you caused the strap to fall out if they notice it's been disassembled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

SHARK got back to me today. Reffered me to Nevis in the UK so Im just waiting to hear back from them. Still no word from BikeWorld though however. Ill probably try them on their facebook page if they dont reply by tomorrow evening.

• Advertisement

Ayrtonf7 wrote: »
    SHARK got back to me today. Reffered me to Nevis in the UK so Im just waiting to hear back from them. Still no word from BikeWorld though however. Ill probably try them on their facebook page if they dont reply by tomorrow evening.

You're better off bringing it directly into Bikeworld if they are close enough to you. It's harder for someone in Customer Service to say no to a customer in their face than over an E-mail. And they might have a very quick fix on hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

Hey everybody.

Bought a helmet of bikeworld last summer and this happened.

Anyways I just sent off an email to them so im waiting to hear there response.

What do you guys thinks ? Whos responsible ? SHARK or Bikeworld ? Anything else I should be aware of ? Has anybody ever had a problem like this before ?

Im just about to send of an email to SHARK now as well. Ill post the responses when I get them.

If the helmet is still under warranty, then you're being way too nice in that e-mail, in my opinion. You're giving them way too much room to say "no", just delaying the whole process.

I would call them and assert that it is a warranty issue, assuming the helmet is still under warranty.

You gave them your hard-earned money for a faulty product that is now useless.

SHARK got back to me today. Reffered me to Nevis in the UK .

As I said in my post you could have contacted them directly.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

bike shops and email? good luck with that :p

drop into them and they'll sort I reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Wossack wrote: »
    bike shops and email? good luck with that :p

drop into them and they'll sort I reckon

I agree.
    Go to Bikeworld and get it sorted.
    The person responsible for reading emails may be on holidays.

• Advertisement

rat_race wrote: »
    If the helmet is still under warranty, then you're being way too nice in that e-mail, in my opinion. You're giving them way too much room to say "no", just delaying the whole process.

Haha Yeh I get that a lot. I think its from working retail. Just hate dickhead customers so I try to be as nice as pie! It paid off!

Called into BikeWorld today. Got it sorted straight away. Said he'd never seen anything like it before so they took it off my hands, gave me a replacement and said they would get back to me in a few days to let me know whats what. If they cant fix it theyl send it over to SHARK for repair/replacement. Very happy with the customer service.
    Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    As I said in my post you could have contacted them directly.....

Sent off the email around the same time I created this thread so I had'nt seen your post yet unfortunately

So just got a call from BikeWorld. They sent it off to SHARK a week or two ago hence the delay. There giving me either a replacement lid or store credit which is about 299 euros. Very happy with the customer service. I wasnt really updated throughout but meh at least its sorted now. Probably gonna go for the store credit and just pick up a new lid. Any recommendations ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

I recently got a HJC IS-17 from bikeworld.
    Internal sun visor and pinlock. Its very comfortable too.

So just got a call from BikeWorld. They sent it off to SHARK a week or two ago hence the delay. There giving me either a replacement lid or store credit which is about 299 euros. Very happy with the customer service. I wasnt really updated throughout but meh at least its sorted now. Probably gonna go for the store credit and just pick up a new lid. Any recommendations ?

Get a Shark Evoline 3 series....awesome lid. Pricey but very flexible and very comfortable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCmJt8bc7TI

As the item was faulty you don't have to except store credit. Store credit is for change of mind not defective products.

Del2005 wrote: »
    As the item was faulty you don't have to except store credit. Store credit is for change of mind not defective products.

Was thinking that as well but its all the same to me, Need a new lid anywhos

Was thinking that as well but its all the same to me, Need a new lid anywhos

Just make sure that the helmet you buy isn't cheaper in other shops around Dublin. You can always take the €300 off them in cash and still buy a lid there.

Out of principle and the fact that they offered the credit note instead of the refund, required by law, which would make me push for money.

Well my take on it is if the item is faulty then the shop has the right to either repair or replace the item before a cash alternative is offered. They are offering to replace the item.....if the item is repaired and goes faulty again then the cash should be offered.

I would be thankful that you had no hassle I have seen woeful threads on customer service from bikeworld in the past...fickle shower at best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I bought one of these in Cotters for €240 last month.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Well my take on it is if the item is faulty then the shop has the right to either repair or replace the item before a cash alternative is offered. They are offering to replace the item.....if the item is repaired and goes faulty again then the cash should be offered.

I would be thankful that you had no hassle I have seen woeful threads on customer service from bikeworld in the past...fickle shower at best.

For defective products the consumer and trader have to agree which of Refund, Replace or Repair will resolve the issue. The shop are offering replacement or store credit, but store credit isn't expectable for a defective product. If the OP wants a replacement then there are no issues but store credit is not a resolution for defective products and companies shouldn't be offering it. There's nothing stopping the OP buying something else in Bikeworld with the money they are refunded.

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    For defective products the consumer and trader have to agree which of Refund, Replace or Repair will resolve the issue. The shop are offering replacement or store credit, but store credit isn't expectable for a defective product. If the OP wants a replacement then there are no issues but store credit is not a resolution for defective products and companies shouldn't be offering it. There's nothing stopping the OP buying something else in Bikeworld with the money they are refunded.

No, you are right and I agree. Store credit is not okay for a faulty item but they gave him the choice of either. He might have liked a different helmet in the shop so a replacement might not have suited him so the store credit would have worked out well in that instance.

I personally have never came across in my dealings with faulty items (and there have been many) being offered a cash refund straight of the bat when returning a product....never. AFAIK shops do not have to offer a refund in the 1st instance of a faulty or defective product. They do however have to repair or replace it in the 1st instance.

I do stand to be corrected on this all the same. ;)

Advertisement