Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gdansk or Wroclaw for a weekend break???

Options
  • 18-03-2014 5:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭

Hey all!

Quick question for anyone who might be able to help!

Myself and the girlfriend are heading off for a three nights/four days over the Easter weekend and not entirely sure where to go. I'm almost certain we'll head to Poland as it seems relatively less expensive than other destinations, flights suit us etc and there seems to be a decent standard of hotel for the money you'd pay. Plus we're both keen enough to see the place!

So, where to go? Few friends were in Gdansk and they absolutely loved it (although it was the European championships and they were a bunch of lads!). I've heard nothing really about Wroclaw, but saw it's European City of Culture 2016 and from the little bit of research I've done thus far, it actually seems very cool!

Any help much appreciated!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭UncleChael

I'v been to Wroclaw twice, most recently last month. I think it's a great place to visit. Full of culture and numerous things to do.
    Can't speak for Gdansk but I definitely recommend Wroclaw. Any questions on the place give me a shout!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Very fond of Gdansk, haven't been to Wroclaw, but I'm sure they're equally good.

If you choose Gdansk, the Hotel Wolne Miasto often has good deals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Carraig95

UncleChael wrote: »
    I'v been to Wroclaw twice, most recently last month. I think it's a great place to visit. Full of culture and numerous things to do.
    Can't speak for Gdansk but I definitely recommend Wroclaw. Any questions on the place give me a shout!

Yea, Wroclaw sounds good alright, seems a good bit bigger than Gdansk and probably more to do. The fact that it's European City of Culture 2016 speaks volumes in fairness. Still though, hearing great things about Gdansk as well!

I'll get back to you if that's cool once I talk to the boss!

spurious wrote: »
    Very fond of Gdansk, haven't been to Wroclaw, but I'm sure they're equally good.

If you choose Gdansk, the Hotel Wolne Miasto often has good deals.

Nice one. Will keep checking that out.

Gdansk is a lovely city and lots to see and do there. Just down the road as well is the beach resort of Sopot which is lovely place as well. Been to Gdansk a couple of times now and would recommend it to all ages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭pjproby

Can you recommend any good reasonably priced hotels/ apartments in Sopot or Wroclaw please

Gdansk is a lovely city and lots to see and do there. Just down the road as well is the beach resort of Sopot which is lovely place as well. Been to Gdansk a couple of times now and would recommend it to all ages.

Just checked Sopot and looks pretty cool. The only thing is that flights out of Cork leave us with a four day window, and that seems very long for such a small spot really does it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There's plenty to visit within the Tri-City area, but further afield there are lots of places within short travelling distances to visit. Malbork Castle is quite cool, Stutthof Concentration Camp, Westerplatte where the Second World War started, Castle Krokowa up by the Baltic coast has a lovely restaurant, you could go to Hel which is always good for photos.
    Good road system there now, even if it took about five years of chaos to get it.

Advertisement