Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When to house ewes ?

• 18-03-2014 6:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭

Just wondering how long prior to lambing date are people housing ewes, given the decent weather we're having at the moment ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

Just wondering how long prior to lambing date are people housing ewes, given the decent weather we're having at the moment ?

You can house your ewes at any stage, but if you're doing it in the last month of their pregnancy, you have to ensure that they are used to whatever you're going to feed them on before they go in, a change in diet can sometimes bring on an outbreak of twin lamb disease.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,763 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Looking like I'll have to house the first few as the fine spell looks like coming to an end just as I start lambing:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Looking like I'll have to house the first few as the fine spell looks like coming to an end just as I start lambing:(

I'm going to dig out the left over lamb jackets from last year, mobile housing :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,763 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I'm going to dig out the left over lamb jackets from last year, mobile housing :D

A vital piece of kit given the extreme variability of the season. MT mentioned over on the weather forum that the weekend could see colder nights than anything we saw during winter proper:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

We have half of ours housed for almost 3 weeks now and I'm glad to report that we have lost no lambs at all. They are on very dry silage and rolled oats and it is working well for them. First bunch with lambs will go out to a sheltered field today where we have a good supply of grass and we will look to house more of the ewes closer to lambing at the weekend!

• Advertisement
Advertisement