Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with housemate situation

Options
  • 18-03-2014 6:49pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 96 ✭✭

Hi all

We are having a issue with our housemate and wondering people's take on it and what options we have. There are 3 of us in house. All three working professionals.

Here is the situation...

She moved in 4 months ago to replace the previous girl. All started off fine. She is tidy in the kitchen but does leave a lot of her stuff lying around the living room. Anyway that's not the main issue.

Basically she has a lot of friends staying over during the week and at weekends and it has gotten progressively worse. One friend in particular is staying over most weekends. They go out every Friday and Saturday night. This particular friends stays on Sunday nights too and heads straight to work from ours. During this time she cooks her dinner in our kitchen, uses our shower etc. We have even noticed she stays in our housemates room overnight when our housemate doesn't come home after a night out and sleeps off her hangover during the day.

Over the last couple of months she was had friends calling over during the week and they all congregate in the living room. Its annoying and it means we don't have a chair to sit on or feel comfortable to watch TV there. It is really annoying.

Also over the last couple of months she has had other random friends staying over mid week and often doesn't tell us until we see the pull out bed in the living room and then it is too late. Recently one crashed in our living room for 2 weeks until she found a place. The friend didn't even thank us for letting her stay or even give money towards the bills or give a bottle of wine.

We have found our electricity bill has gotten higher too.

We spoke with her last week to say she must text us to let us know when someone is staying over. She went off in a huff. Anytime we have friends stay over we text each housemate to say who it is and how long they will stay, and this happens rarely.

Do people think her behavior is unacceptable? We are worried about having a house chat as it will make things awkward and she will react in a bad way and start a argument, but we think it has gotten unacceptable.

What you people think? I have shared for a number of years and never experienced this sort of behavior. Anyone have any advice or experience anything similar, we would be grateful?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

You have done the right thing by talking to her. If she wants to go off in a huff then tell her to move out; its really that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Do people think her behavior in unacceptable?
    Yes she is takling the p***.

Is she just out of college or something ?
    Because it reads like someone who thinks anything goes ala college accommodation and then goes off in a childish huff when challenged.

Tell her it ends now.
    If she doesn't like then she can shag off.
    By the looks of it you are living like a guest in your own home and her guests are actually living like the residents.
    There will be akwardness and probably an argument, but it is either that or be continually walked upon and your home becoming something you hate.

I shared for a good few years and did once have friend stay over for a couple of weeks while doing college work placement.
    It was oked before hand and he went out of his way not to be in the way.
    In fact he got on so well with the girls at the time, they were sorry to see him leave.

And anytime someone crashed over, there was forewarning and they were out the door after few hours

This girl has absolutely no consideration and neither do her friends.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 35 liamo1979

You are right OP... That is taking the piss... Make a rule that one friend one night per week max!! Simple... job done... If she is not happy move out...

• Registered Users Posts: 35 liamo1979

If you don't make that rule she will say ok, i'll text you and then forget to text... One friend one night per week is fair unless its her boyfriend... maybe limit that to two nights...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

jmayo wrote: »
    Tell her it ends now.
    If she doesn't like then she can shag off.
    This.

Also, you say she replaced the previous tenant. Who does she pay the rent and bills to?
    liamo1979 wrote: »
    If you don't make that rule she will say ok, i'll text you and then forget to text... One friend one night per week is fair unless its her boyfriend... maybe limit that to two nights...
    She sounds like she'd still take the piss every weekend. I'd say one night a week max, as she has already taken the piss. And that they must stay in her room.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

mruser2014 wrote: »
    We have even noticed she stays in our housemates room overnight when our housemate doesn't come home after a night out and sleeps off her hangover during the day.

I agree with all the others, but this is an absolute red line. If you all go out then the only person left in the house has no right to be there. Do they have a key?

There's no shortage of people looking for places. No need to put up with a user like this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 96 ✭✭mruser2014

I agree with all the others, but this is an absolute red line. If you all go out then the only person left in the house has no right to be there. Do they have a key?

There's no shortage of people looking for places. No need to put up with a user like this.

Exactly. No I don't think they have a key. She would just wait for the housemate to return. We left her on her own a few times. I locked my bedroom those days.

Its great to see others on here think its out of line. We are going to sit down again with her if any of this happens again and lay out the terms.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 96 ✭✭mruser2014

the_syco wrote: »
    This.

Also, you say she replaced the previous tenant. Who does she pay the rent and bills to?

She sounds like she'd still take the piss every weekend. I'd say one night a week max, as she has already taken the piss. And that they must stay in her room.

She pays direct to the agent like we do. Ya some stay in her room but not all. If if they stay in her room they only sleep there. They would still be in the living area, using shower etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

mruser2014 wrote: »
    We have even noticed she stays in our housemates room overnight when our housemate doesn't come home after a night out and sleeps off her hangover during the day.
    Just noticed this bit. Let the landlord know that your flatmate is letting non-rent paying people stay in the apartment on a weekly basis, some of whom seem to have their own key to the house. I doubt this will sit well with most landlords.

Advertisement