Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to oz - homesick

Options
  • 18-03-2014 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi all,

I have always wanted to go to Australia but the only thing that is stopping me is that I am very close to my mother and cant imagine not seeing her every day!! I know it sounds kind of sad, but that is the only one thing that is stopping me! I have had loads of friends that are in the same situation as me but still went and haven't looked back since! People have been saying to me that I should go, as the saying goes you only live one! I really do want to go as im afraid that il regret it in years to come if I don't! I just wondering is there anyone else in the same situation or that would have any advice!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Leoleo86

Hi all,

I have always wanted to go to Australia but the only thing that is stopping me is that I am very close to my mother and cant imagine not seeing her every day!! I know it sounds kind of sad, but that is the only one thing that is stopping me! I have had loads of friends that are in the same situation as me but still went and haven't looked back since! People have been saying to me that I should go, as the saying goes you only live one! I really do want to go as im afraid that il regret it in years to come if I don't! I just wondering is there anyone else in the same situation or that would have any advice!

Thanks
    I was the same.
    Would miss parents,friends home etc etc but came to the conclusion that i'm 28 now and I need to spread the proverbial wings.
    So booked the flight for November this year and I'm not changing my mind.
    Everyone I was talking to over there say that they got over the home sickness after a few days once they settled in.
    Go for it would be my advice as you might never get the chance again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

If your mother is in good health I would say go for it because later in life if she's in poor health you'll want to be there for her and travel may not be an option for years, if not decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Laura Steph

Hey!

I get what you mean, I had similar concerns before I left for Oz on my own in January. But honestly, it was the right decision.

I've finally kickstarted my career after 5 years of study. I have Skype, Whatsapp, Twitter, Fb and email to contact my Mam, whom I'm extremely close to, my brothers and friends. And I've my own set of friends established whilst continuing to meet new people.

Think of it this way, its only one year minimum if you want, it moulds you into a fully functioning adult, you gain invaluable life experience and meet new people from all corners.

Plus home is only 24hours away!

I'm only here for less than 2 and a half months and I don't regret it. Don't get me wrong, I have days where all I want is a cup of tea with Mam and Dad or a pint with friends but all that eases after time.

It makes you value home and the things that come with it so much more.

Good luck with everything, just go for it I say.

Advertisement