Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just got a worrying knock on the door

Options
  • 18-03-2014 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Im not a paranoid sort of fella but I live in my own apartment in Dublin 1. Am just home from work a short while and my doorbell buzzed. Somebody had dialled my apartment number from the main entrance from the street.

I knew straight away that it wasn't friends as they would ring or txt if they were coming over. My balcony looks down onto the street and when I peeped out there was a guy standing there. About 6 foot and well built and wearing a leather jacket and a bit rough looking if I'm being honest.

He stodd there for a few more moments, them walked across the street, took out a camera and took 3 pictures of the main entrance area to my apartment block. He then half ran half walked back up the street about 200 yards and got into a red car. I could see him from my balcony looking at the pictures he had taken. He then had to drive down directly underneath my apartment as its one way and the car had a northern Ireland reg. I don't know anybody from northern Ireland.

Should I be concerned?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

You should have done the same and took a picture of him just incase.

He probably buzzed the wrong bell, it happens, but the taking of pictures seems a bit odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Sounds like he was just trying different buttons to get buzzed in.

His behaviour is suspicious, but sounds like his intentions were to "visit" somebody else.

I would report it to the Management company / Gardai if you are concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Or he could have ended up at the wrong apartment complex by mistake and took the photos to show a friend incase it was actually the wrong apartment block.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭huey1975

Have you been riding anybody's wife lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭metroburgers

Sounds like a White Walker... Winter is coming...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Not gonna lie, that would freak me out a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

Sorry about that, wrong house!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

Sorry about that, wrong house!

Bet you've been waiting for a thread like this for a long time .....:-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭TOMP

Maybe he wants to inquire about his grandmother who used to live in the area

or

He works for a media company and he wants to do some filming for a documentary from your apartment balcony

or

You owe money

or

Liam Neeson just called for coffee

I usually answer the door when someone knocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

TOMP wrote: »

Wise move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭dees99

I would have thought it was a wrong number he buzzed and forgot about it. Except he then went across the road and took the pictures. That got me a bit paranoid. Then with the northern reg? On either side of me two lots of very quiet French people are living and directly underneath is a black family one of whom is a doctor. So doubt he was ringing them. He was about 50.

Should I mention it to the cops just in case?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

TOMP wrote: »

I don't! If I'm not expecting you, and I don't know you when I look out, then the door ain't going to be opened...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

dees99 wrote: »
    Im not a paranoid sort of fella but I live in my own apartment in Dublin 1. Am just home from work a short while and my doorbell buzzed. Somebody had dialled my apartment number from the main entrance from the street.

I knew straight away that it wasn't friends as they would ring or txt if they were coming over. My balcony looks down onto the street and when I peeped out there was a guy standing there. About 6 foot and well built and wearing a leather jacket and a bit rough looking if I'm being honest.

He stodd there for a few more moments, them walked across the street, took out a camera and took 3 pictures of the main entrance area to my apartment block. He then half ran half walked back up the street about 200 yards and got into a red car. I could see him from my balcony looking at the pictures he had taken. He then had to drive down directly underneath my apartment as its one way and the car had a northern Ireland reg. I don't know anybody from northern Ireland.

Should I be concerned?

My guess would be a debt collector or a summons maybe??
    Taking a photo proves that he tried to contact you to his superiors....
    Any of this possible??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

...two lots of very quiet French people are living and directly underneath is a black family one of whom is a doctor. So doubt he was ringing them.

Yeah, French people and black people don't get visitors. Especially not doctors.

My guess would be a debt collector or a summons maybe??
    Taking a photo proves that he tried to contact you to his superiors....
    Any of this possible??

Definitely absolutey not on both accounts. If I was in debt I would have assumed it was a debt collector and not bothered posting. But I've no clue.

Ok so just rang Store St, he thought it sounded peculiar but said it was probably nothing to worry about. He took the reg and said he would check it on the system just in case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Have you been there long? Perhaps previous owners were in debt to someone?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

He was looking for flight MH370 have you seen it

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Im not a paranoid sort of fella but I live in my own apartment in Dublin 1. Am just home from work a short while and my doorbell buzzed. Somebody had dialled my apartment number from the main entrance from the street.....

Why didn't you just answer the buzzer? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Car was from the north you say :eek:

liam-neeson-taken2-still2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Marchbride

I would have thought it was a wrong number he buzzed and forgot about it. Except he then went across the road and took the pictures. That got me a bit paranoid. Then with the northern reg? On either side of me two lots of very quiet French people are living and directly underneath is a black family one of whom is a doctor. So doubt he was ringing them. He was about 50.

Should I mention it to the cops just in case?

Yep I would. That would freak me right out! Buzzing the wrong number is one thing but the photos???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Marchbride

DominoDub wrote: »
    Car was from the north you say :eek:

liam-neeson-taken2-still2.jpg

YUMMY :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Have you checked the children?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

I don't! If I'm not expecting you, and I don't know you when I look out, then the door ain't going to be opened...

With mobile phones everywhere, unexpected callers are rarer now. It's becoming more common for people not to answer the door unless they are expecting somebody or some delivery.

I usually answer the door, but 9 times out of 10, it's some salesman.

mhge wrote: »
    Have you been there long? Perhaps previous owners were in debt to someone?

No bought it brand new in 2008.

The intercom doesn't work, theres always been problems with it. Otherwise would have been the perfect solution.

Flight MH370 is in the hands of Al Qaeda with all passengers safe and well until they're flown to they're deaths in whatever target they're going for. Hostages will buy time if intercepted en route.

The guy in the leather jacket.. that's him ��

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Could be some dodgy estate agent wanting to sell the place for you! Check onndaft.is he might have advertised it already!

Advertisement