Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing address to outside Ireland

Options
  • 18-03-2014 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I've moved to the UK but have a current account and credit card with AIB.

Is it possible for me to change my address to an address outside Ireland?

I'm actually not fussed about the current account but would like to keep the credit card!

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Misty Moon

Should be possible. I've a current account with BoI and was able to change my address to Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,020 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

AIB changed my CC billing address to Germany without any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

Misty Moon wrote: »
    Should be possible. I've a current account with BoI and was able to change my address to Germany.
    murphaph wrote: »

Excellent, will give them a bell in the morning.

Thank you very much!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Delta2113

- Do you still pay the Irish Government stamp duty? I think you should be exempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Delta2113 wrote: »
    - Do you still pay the Irish Government stamp duty? I think you should be exempt.

I think you will still be liable as the card is issued by an Irish Bank.

• Advertisement

No I'm exempt. Don't pay the SD any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Delta2113

"What if I live outside the country?
    You are not liable to stamp duty if your billing address is outside the State for the entire accounting period in question"

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/stamp-duty/leaflets/stamp-duty-financial-cards.html

My Brother lives in the states and he still gets his AIB credit card statement sent to an Irish address (my address). He has been paying the stamp duty for years.

I thought I read you had to live in Ireland in order to have a AIB credit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I thought I read you had to live in Ireland in order to have a AIB credit card.

To open one. Maintaining one, not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Pablo1802

BuffyBot wrote: »
    To open one. Maintaining one, not so much.

You have to be Irish resident to apply for a credit card / current account in Irish bank. There is no exception whatsoever.
    But if you have a current account / credit card for at least few months, you can change over your address for any other, even outside Ireland.
    It should not be any problem if you have no missing payments or unpaid items etc.
    Definitely, every card (debit/credit) is NOT liable for a Stamp Duty if you have non-Irish address assigned to that accounts for a full tax year.
    A full stamp duty cycle for credit cards starts on the first day of April every year. Any address change for no-irish one made after 01/04 is liable for stamp duty for that year. In that case you might be exempt from stamp duty from the next year after.
    A full stamp duty cycle for debit cards starts on the first day of January every year. Any address change for no-irish one made after 01/01 is liable for stamp duty for that year. In that case you might be exempt from stamp duty from the next year after.

It is fully confirmed information with BOI/AIB/UB

Hope it has clarified everything. :rolleyes:

Pablo1802 wrote: »
    You have to be Irish resident to apply for a credit card / current account in Irish bank. There is no exception whatsoever.

It is fully confirmed information with BOI/AIB/UB
    Strange...I opened a BoI current account last year as a non-resident. I just went into the branch when I was home visiting and they accepted my Irish passport + German utility bills and opened the account on the spot. Credit cards are different, but a current account is certainly possible with BoI at least.

• Advertisement

Strange...I opened a BoI current account last year as a non-resident. I just went into the branch when I was home visiting and they accepted my Irish passport + German utility bills .

Yes, you can apply for a current account as a non-resident with a foreign address but if you're Irish citizen with an Irish passport.
    Otherwise there is no chance.

Just checked on UB:

"Thank you for applying for the following product: CURRENT

Unfortunately we are unable to progress your application at this time as you must be a resident of the Republic of Ireland before you can apply for this account.

Please press Next to Exit the application. "

I wouldn't say no chance. These things are decided at branch level at least with BoI. "Computer says NO" isn't always the final answer.

I wouldn't say no chance. These things are decided at branch level at least with BoI. "Computer says NO" isn't always the final answer.

Yes, some decisions may be taken at branch level; but I don't think that bank might approve someone's application who isn't Irish citizen and without address in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Hajduk

There is a fundamental difference between residency and citizenship.

Advertisement