Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Device visibility on home network

• 18-03-2014 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Current setup - WDTV Live with HDD connected (WDTV HDD) to a switch connected to the eFibre modem (ZyXEL F1000). Iomega IX2-200 NAS HDD (Iomega NAS) connected directly to the eFibre modem. Laptop, Android phones and tablet all connected wirelessly to the eFibre modem.

Yesterday I got locked out of the modem (!!) so needed to reset it. After the reset the WDTV can connect via a wired connection to the modem and can see the Iomega NAS. It can also get an internet connection (YouTube etc.). The rest of the network (wireless units) can see the Iomega NAS and also get an internet connection. The eFibre modem can see all devices on its network map. However, none of the rest of the network can see the WDTV HDD.

When the system was initially installed I had this problem and Eircom support personnel took control of the modem and changed – QoS>Class Setup>Default to “Local” from “LAN” (as far as I am aware). This meant that the WDTV (or the Sony Blu-ray player) could only connect wirelessly to the modem but all parts of the system could see each other. If I do this then I can replicate the need to connect wirelessly but the network elements still can’t see the WDTV HDD. Is there another setting I need to change here to allow full visibility of all components?

With the old ZyXEL NGB modem this all worked fine out of the box (both wired and wireless) so there seems to be something different about the settings with the eFibre unit?

Thanks to anyone prepared to help an obviously clueless one!

P

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

This is most likely the quirkiness of SMB and 'master browser' problems. If possible check your nas 'windows networking' settings and see if you can set it as the master browser. Then turn off ALL (except the router) other device and switch them back on one by one. Hopefully when they start to negotiate SMB traffic they will see that the nas is the master browser and when all are fully back on check if they can see each other again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The F100 has a weird vlan setup on the later FWs for evision support. It can isolate wired and wireless.

Remove the QoS rulesets and any extra vlans listed and it should all work again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 knockavullig

Forgive my ignorance re the QoS rulesets. I'm being offered the options of Queue Setups, Class Setups and Policer Setups in the QoS menu. Which of these is the QoS ruleset? If any?

Advertisement