Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help with headphones audio cutting out

Options
  • 18-03-2014 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hey guys, wasn't sure where the best place to post this was.
    The basic problem I'm experiencing happens when I have my headphones connected into my laptop. I have audio/video playing, then the sound might cut out randomly after an arbitrary amount of time ( from 3 seconds of sustained audio to cutout, 30 if I'm lucky ). This only happens with headphones plugged in, normal speakers are fine.
    The only solution I've found is to hit the mute button, then unmute it. Sound work as normal then.

Whats stranger is that I could be at home watching movies for a few hours with my headphones plugged in, working perfectly fine, but when I take it into college and start studying in the library with my headphones the issue arises. It also tends to happen when I'm on a bus.

The loudness of the audio does not seem to factor in whether or not the audio cuts out.

My laptop is an Acer Aspire Timeline U, running Windows 7, if thats of any help.

Anyone be able to shine some light on a more permanent solution?

EDIT: To clarify, when the sound cuts out, the computer still thinks the sound is playing, i.e. the levels in the sound menu still show them changing dynamically with the music.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Does it happen with different headphones?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 ShonyBoulders

I tried it with my mate's headphones, had the same problem, but then they were the same model headphones ( Sony somethings). I asked him if it happened with his laptop and he confirmed it. Looks like I'm buying a new pair of headphones!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

You must have an old set of headphones from a phone knocking about to test?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 ShonyBoulders

Actually just to add some info I'd forgotten about when I'd originally posted, the headphones work fine with other devices, such as my iPad and MP3 player, it's only with the laptop that there's an issue. I haven't really been at home the last few days so I'm afraid testing of headphones will have to wait.

Advertisement